Rubicon Owners Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Good to hear you ordered the OME shocks. Please give us your "seat of the pants" impressions on the ride compared to the Bilstein's after you test them out.

My pre-paid Bilstein 5160 shocks are set to be delivered in August:( As for the Bilstein 5160's compared to the 5100... I installed the 5160's in the front as they were delivered before I got the rears and ran them in Moab during the Easter Safari. These shocks were the ones I sent back because they were for a long arm. But they were actually considerably better, less harsh and much smoother rebound, than the old 5100's.

On the Nevada BDR going through the Goldfield Mining District Memorial Day weekend. The flat area is tailings brought up from a mine shaft that is out ahead of the Jeep.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Interesting that you said the 5160s rode nicer than the 5100s. It seems like I had read that before when I first purchased my 5160s. I really did love the feel of the 5160s. I'm hopeful the OME will ride OK, but I am also prepared for the worse. In that case I would probably rebuild the 5160s as long as I didn't leave it to the last minute before a trip. But who knew that covid would cause such shortages. Enjoy your 5160s. They are a very nice shock. I was just disappointed mine would only last for 3-4 years.

I'll update when I get the OMEs.

·
Registered
664 Posts
How long until you get them? I ordered some shocks for my JK and they are 3 weeks in and estimated another 5 until they show.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Bad news for anyone waiting to hear my impressions of the OME vs 5160s. I changed my order. After receiving my OME shocks, I measured the collapsed length to ensure they would fit. They won't. It turns out that when manufacturers measure shocks with stems, such as our front shock, they only measure to the shoulder of the shock body. They do not include the rubber bushing that is used in mounting the shock. So once you include that bushing your compressed length is 3/4"+/- longer than the mfg specs. Since I did not want to add an inch of bumpstop, the long shocks (60047L) won't work. Since the standard OME shocks (60047) are 2" shorter on extension than Bilstein 5100s, I decided to stay with Bilstein.

I did not consider the 5100s earlier because I thought I needed more up travel in the rear. I did some extensive flexing test over the weekend and I found that my rear bumpstops were almost an inch to short and my rear tire could push up into the body pretty hard. So being forced to add an inch of bumpstop to the rear meant that the standard 5100s are the best fit for my LJ.

For anyone reading this in the future, I will be running approximately 2"-2 1/4" of bumpstop in both front and rear. That puts me pretty close to target with the Bilstein 3" shocks. (24-185257 and 24-185264)

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
It will be interesting to hear what you think on those 5100s. Too bad you don't need them for the 5.5" lift, all mine are still in perfect shape you could have had to try out.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It will be interesting to hear what you think on those 5100s. Too bad you don't need them for the 5.5" lift, all mine are still in perfect shape you could have had to try out.
Yeah those would be a little to long for my needs. Even the 3" shocks I'd prefer if they were about 1/4" to 1/2" shorter when compressed.

It will definetly be interesting to see how the 5100s feel. I have often wondered how the valving compares. Unfortunately I don't know if I will be able to make a very accurate comparison. My front shocks were replaced a year ago with some Rancho 9000xls I had sitting around when they blew out. Although the Rancho valving felt similar to the 5160 it is a different shock. Also since one of my rear shocks no longer has Nitrogen charge it rides a bit softer than a new one as well. So I fully expect the 5100s to ride more firm than what I have now. But I think I will still have a good idea of how the 2 shocks compare. I was able to get some valving info on the two shocks some time back and from what I can tell they are valved pretty similar. The rear 5160 was 154/61 and the 5100 was 155/58. I believe that is the resistance at only one speed so the curves could still be different. But its my understanding they are pretty similar.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts