Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting an enclosed trailer.. Would love to turn it into a basic garage to work on my Jeep(s).

Before I begin this project I'd love to hear some ideas from others.

The max length trailer I can work with is 20' based on laws and regulations...

What I currently have in the way of vehicles...

'97 Wrangler (TJ) 4.5" Lift on 35s
'06 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) 3" Lift on 35s

Option A
Keep the above and try and find a way to fit them on a 20' trailer...

Option B
Sell the LJ and get another 2 door and try and fit them on a 20' trailer...

Option C
Sell both get a 4 door, add a rear jump seat and fit it on a 20' trailer

Option D
Sell the TJ and try and get a street legal side-by-side.

Option E
No idea...

Restrictions
- Vehicles must legally carry 2 adults, 4 kids, and a dog on city roads
- Trailer under 20' (might be able to get up to 25', but 20' is for sure.)

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Get a 20' gooseneck with as much extra height as you can. Build a ramp up front for the first jeep to climb up and be parked at a 45 or so degree angle. Then park the other behind.

then remember your going to need a triple axel trailer for the total weight. 3-4 k in trailer alone then 4-5k for each rig. If a JK then 5-6k for it.

Then of course the tow vehicle that meets your needs as well.

·
Premium Member
4,923 Posts
My 8.5' wide enclosed trailer has very little space to get around the sides of a Jeep, so I don't think it would work well as a work space.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you had the option of an enclosed trailer or nothing... I'd pick very little space around the sides... At least then I can get out of the elements.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get a 20' gooseneck with as much extra height as you can. Build a ramp up front for the first jeep to climb up and be parked at a 45 or so degree angle. Then park the other behind.

then remember your going to need a triple axel trailer for the total weight. 3-4 k in trailer alone then 4-5k for each rig. If a JK then 5-6k for it.

Then of course the tow vehicle that meets your needs as well.
I was wondering how much I'd have to lift the front to get me enough space... Also, how it would handle taking trips in that position?

·
Registered
276 Posts
You may be right, 22k is my max budget. For that price it needs to be low miles and quite built or a stock low mileage and much cheaper so I can build it how I want for that same range. LJ Rubicons are becoming harder and harder to find at a fair price. My real advice to you is to keep the LJ, sell or buy whatever you have to for your situation but don't let the LJ go. I would skin the thief alive who took mine if I found him.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You may be right, 22k is my max budget. For that price it needs to be low miles and quite built or a stock low mileage and much cheaper so I can build it how I want for that same range. LJ Rubicons are becoming harder and harder to find at a fair price. My real advice to you is to keep the LJ, sell or buy whatever you have to for your situation but don't let the LJ go. I would skin the thief alive who took mine if I found him.
Yeah at this stage I wouldn't want to take less than $25k, only 63k miles. Perhaps down the road when I'm close to decision time I'd sell for less.

I've got a build thread that's a little out of date... My profile should be updated though.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like I'm going to be forced to part with my LJ... :(

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very sorry to hear that, I am sure you are looking at every way to keep it.
I was but just got hit with another right hook... So now it definitely has to be sold. It's frustrating... It's still the last vehicle I want to sell just in case some good luck swings my way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts