Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm new to regearing, but I'm getting an education trying to figure it all out. As I understand, you *might* be okay installing a Randy's 4.88 ring and pinion as far as the carrier shims are concerned (ie reused the shims). Randy's and others don't have the carrier shims.

If not, the stealership rates are $410...a bit steep.

I posted on JU, but maybe we could get on a mass e-mail and put some pressure on the aftermarket for the shims?!?!?

Thoughts....

I'm just a bit leery of cracking open the pumpkins just hoping everything will work out.

Here is an e-mail address (Jay) at Randy's: [email protected]

·
Registered
478 Posts
Herein lies the problem in rebuilding diff's. I've only done a couple but the secret to success is having access to the shims. Being a "stealership" we
carry most of the shims in stock. Good diff mechanics can build a diff and only have to shim it once, others can take several kicks at it and still have the diff make noise. Any good "gear center" or diff parts outlet that installs what they sell should be able to install any diff part for a fair price and offer a warranty to you.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've done it both ways, it is nice when you have a shim kit on hand when building diff's. D44's and D35's require selective side bearing shims and they are expensive from the dealer. The problem is until you have the diff out and then back in you don't know what shims you need to set the back lash. So back to your question, NO!! I would not attempt to build another diff unless I was confident I had all the shims I needed. Unless the Jeep was not a daily driver and I could put the new parts in check the backlash, go get shims, check the back lash, go get shims, check the pinion depth, go get shims, check the pinion depth, go get shims....you get the picture. Some crown and pinion sets come with the shim specs stamped or sqrawled into the pinion head which should make shiming easy but unless you've done a few diff's you could end up towing your rig to a shop to get it done right. Remeber it's not uncommon to shim a diff 10 times and still have it howl like a banshee.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts