Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched the jeep video tape and it said to shift into 4L while just slightly moving at 2mph. I tried it and I really was just barely crawling and it let out a huge grinding sound, I hope I didn't do any damage.

I now only shift when at a complete stop and it is much better. If it doesn't want to go in then I just creep forward a little and try again and it usually works no problem.

Shifts in and out of 4H no problem at all.

I never remember having this trouble shifting my YJ into 4L.

Do the 4to1 gears make it a little harder to shift compared to the stock low range in the 231 xcase?

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
All transfercases are a little different... and sometimes some grindage occurs not matter what you do. It is ok... you didn't do any damage. Just try to minimize how much you grind or how long. Here has been my experience... in the CJ had to grind em to find em all the time. :) On my TJ... slightly rolling was the way to go with a real HARD yank... felt like I was going to pull the case through the floor. With the Rubi... stopped works best for me with again... a real hard yank. Don't be afraid to really put some balls behing the yank, you won't break anything. Just on continuous smooth motion is what you want, no pausing or stopping in the middle. If stopped works for you then thats the way you should do it. The book and video says that moving is "usually" better. For me and obviously you it is not. :) But don't worry about grinding now and again... it happens. :)

Justin

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A little grind is okay, just don't make it a habit or hold it there and let it grind. I can shift in and out at slow speeds, sometime I have to stop to shift in to 4low. The t-case seems to be tempermental on which way it wants to work. A good yank into 4low is needed, going slow doesn't work.

Ron

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I find that if I stop then just let the clutch out a little bit to get some movement then shift is the smoothest for me.. Like Justing said...Every JP is different.

Cheers.

Sean

·
Registered
454 Posts
Man, I never knew there were so many different techniques to shift the t-case. Personally I have to stop completely and it has to be on completely level ground to nothing moves. Then I give it a good hard yank and in she goes. I really want to get that linkage bracket to make the shift a little smoother though.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Shift an auto

The only way I can get into 4L on my auto is stopped with gorria torque or stopped in nuetral and it goes in smooth as silk. Although there are times when it is a pita to stop go to nuetral shift to 4L back to drive etc.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have a 5speed... just go into N then whether your rolling or not just give it one good fluid motion from 2H or 4H... just don't stop through the shift just 1 good snap... havn't had a problem yet just my .02

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
See... every case is different. 8) How many Jeeps are out there??? Thats how many diff ways there are to shift. :) Just find what works best for you!.

Justin

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Just make sure that you are in Nuetral when you shift in. For me, I have to be rolling to get it into 4L.

Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts