Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Vendor
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PIWcorp is a dealer and inventor of Exact Center steering stabilizers by Roadmasteinc see product link
PIWcorp 1492 Orourke Blvd Gaylord, Mi 49735
For product questions and information Contact
by email [email protected] by phone 8-4 EST 1-989-448-2501
TJ owners
Exact Center can make your jeep steer and handle like a high end SUV. There are now hundreds of Jeep and RV owners (Exact Center is a steering stabilizer new for Jeeps) that are enjoying the EC power hold at center, the EC power return to center, and the the wind canceling ability of EC and the hold on the steered wheels EC gives that fights anything that tries to change the direction of the steered wheels.
TJ in the factory location does not have room or clearance needed for EC or a added damper.
No room for a stabilizer and a damper? This is a new way you may have never seen before. This can give TJ and other Jeep owners a new option.
This works and it is better . Check it out.

This is a TJ with a centering stabilizer installed in a whole new location. TJ has no space for the user to install EC in normal location. And with that install a damper is not a option if the owner wants one. We think this will work for JL, JK, TJ, and CJ and even many two-wheel drive applications. This is new check it out. This can be a DIY project if you fab.

The boys at PIWcorp have just accomplished a huge fix. Tony and Todd took the whole stabilizer mounting issue and literally turned it upside down. They move up from the tie-rod and the axle (way up).
They designed a mount near the end of the Pitman arm and went up from there to the frame. Neither of these two connections moves much. For sure the frame does not move and the Pitman arm end does a small sweep with near no vertical movement. Tony thinks because he is closer to the steering box he has a new level of tightness. He is now upstream a lot. This does a lot for us TJ owners. 1. There is a lot of room where we located the EC 2. The TJ frames are all the same so a standard bracket will work on the frame end. A bracket that can be mass-produced and is simple. 3. The drag link end is attached with a simple clamp. 4. In this new location, the factory or after-market stabilizer can be used again and it is in a safe place. (see attached pics and video) 5. We think we can do a similar mount on JK, JL, and if many other applications, if we can they too will allow the use of after-market and OEM stabilizers up and away from danger.

New mount with after market stabilizer added in OEM location
5 new items by jond shep
TJ drive with relocated EC
New video by jond shep
TJ wheels full turn with stabilizer and after market damper
New video by jond shep
EC in the raised location without after market damper installed
4 new items by jond shep

·
Vendor
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Exact Center is a Centering, return to Center and a hold at Center device, it can give a Jeep sports car like handling, it can cancel the wind affect by stopping driver need to over steer trying to correct. However EC has less damping ability then OEM stabilizers or after market stabilizers. There are hundreds of JL owners with Exact Center steering stabilizer installed who are enjoying the benefits EC gives. A few JL EC users have had Death Wobble issues while using EC, those users cannot find a fix for their DW so many have chosen to run EC and a damper. The combination gives the EC sports car like steering and the damper keeps DW away.
RoadmasterINC is selling Exact Center stabilizers for Jeep, Trucks, Buses, and RVs see the ad at this link

Friday we put my 2021 JLUR 392 XR on the rack to answer a question. A JL Forum member wanted to know could we make him a similar bracket (similar to TJ frame mount) for a JL sport. The TJ did not have space for a Exact Center on the tie rod or at the factory OEM location so a new TJ mount was needed. The JL does have the room at the Factory location and above the tie-rod.
The TJ frame location is not a good location for JL and it is not needed. JL Rubicons with sway bar disconnect have even more hardware at the frame location.
For product questions and information Contact
by email [email protected] by phone 8-4 EST 1-989-448-2501
TJ with new frame mount
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

JL at OEM Location
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

JL Tie-rod mount
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Tie Rod mount
Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Automotive tire

·
Vendor
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · · Business
There are hundreds of Exact Center users with most this year being JLWrangler owners. As a new product EC went through a learning curve. The device is a single shaft two way gas spring with a push gas spring on one side and pull/traction gas spring on the other. The default position of the two springs is Exact Center. Turn right and you compress the push spring. Turn left and you pull the pull/traction spring. At any steering wheel turn as little as 2 mm you push against the design value of the springs. A 100 pound unit will push or pull back when the wheel is turned and the pressure will ramp up to 140% at full lock. When driving at highway speed the steering tie rod is moving 1/8" to 1/4" max. The EC gives you a firm center with a powered return to center on a turn and in highway driving. This center hold is there when the wind tries to push you sideways. I keeps you from oversteering, you feel the wind, but it is easy to control. Things you encounter while driving that try to turn your steered wheels are resisted by the EC hold at center. EC acts like having two strong teenagers holding your wheel from turning with one pulling on each side. The best part is the power steering makes this hold invisible. There is no heavy steering feel. Your Jeep will feel and act like a high end SUV with very sporty steering. The statement "it drives like a Jeep" will be a good thing. Here are a few comments from users. We have many more.
logo

bar

Steering Stabilizer Testimonials
Exact Center is 'instant game changer'
"[The Exact Center] steering stabilizer is an instant game changer for quality steering! I have a 2020 JLU sport on a Rock Krawler xfactor 2.5 lift with fox shocks. The steering is now tight and very responsive compared to the flighty floaty feel of the factory set up. 2 buddies of mine drove it and they both noticed how much more control and responsiveness it had compared to their stock steering."
—username DShanesky on Exact Center is a steering stabilizer new for Jeeps
Exact Center stops steering corrections and drifting
"I ordered and installed the new Exact Center steering stabilizer on my 2018 JLUR. No more constant steering wheel corrections, no more drifting."
—username californiajeeping on Exact Center is a steering stabilizer new for Jeeps
'BEST modification you can make' is Exact Center'
"I’ve been talking the stabilizers up pretty hard in the campgrounds we’ve been at... I think [Exact Center] is the BEST modification you could make to a Jeep and the improvement on the E450 is unbelievable."
—username Shibadog on What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?
'Now I enjoy long drives' after adding an Exact Center'"
"The first month of ownership of the Jeep before adding the EC, I was constantly correcting my steering and struggling to stay in a straight line on the freeway... Now I enjoy long drives. Those days of fighting to stay in the middle of the lane are gone and forgotten. I'm no longer thinking about my steering and can pay attention to the scenery instead of the road."
—username dragoneggs on Exact Center is a steering stabilizer new for Jeeps
For product questions and information Contact PIWcorp by email [email protected] by phone 8-4 EST 1-989-448-2501. We are Jeep owners, users and testers. Tony has 3 Jeeps including the TJ pictured with frame mount, Todd has two jeeps including a TJ with V8 4" long arm lift and 33s with EC, I have a 2021 JLUR 392 XR 4" lift with 140 lb EC. Tony and Todd are EC experts with more experience as they helped develop the product and did testing. At PIWcorp we invented Exact Center we do the filling in house and we have load cell testing. We have 2 RVs with EC a 24 foot C on Ford E-350 with 200lb EC and a 32 foot Super C on Ram 5500 HD 4WD with 340lb EC.
Contact Tony by email [email protected] by phone 8-4 EST 1-989-448-2501 Tony
Follow Tony's TJ build yellerfeller 03 Rubicon Build

·
Administrator
11,795 Posts
On our motorhome (40' diesel pusher) we had a Howard Power Center Steering installed shortly after we bought the coach. It dramatically reduced driving fatigue. Unfortunately Howard went out of business a few months after our install - it was a great product.

·
Vendor
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · · Business
The Howard centering stabilizer is what made me think I could find another way to do what he did. He was a genius, I am just a ironworker who solves problems. I think he invented directional thrusters now used on the most high tech jet fighters. I am a hammer and wrench guy, my ideas are simple and I now have about 25 patents a working man could understand. Howard's product was good, but complicated beyond belief. D Howard was all over steering he has many patents search
I bought a 1998 new diesel pusher, on my way home the wind blew me all over the road. I called the dealer and he said this is the way big RVs drive and he could install a Howard unit for about $4000 and fix it. This became my challenge to fix this issue for a reasonable price, a few hundred dollars. It took 2 years but in the end I invented TRU-Center sold by Blue Ox. It was good Exact Center is better. It does 95% of what Howard did and could do the 5% that is missing, but we have a even better 5% that makes us much better than Howard and soon it will be available to big RV users.
Contact Tony by email [email protected] by phone 8-4 EST 1-989-448-2501 Tony
For Jeep Follow Tony's TJ build yellerfeller 03 Rubicon Build

·
Administrator
11,795 Posts
In your first linked video by Jond Shep it shows a TJ driving. He makes a right turn and uses his hand to move the wheel back to center. I thought Exact Center was supposed to accomplish this.
Even my $4,200 Howard Power Center Steering wouldn't return the wheel back to center. What mine did was add some steering input to counter a crowned road or a crosswind which I suspect was a design objective for Exact Center.

·
Vendor
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · · Business
Even my $4,200 Howard Power Center Steering wouldn't return the wheel back to center. What mine did was add some steering input to counter a crowned road or a crosswind which I suspect was a design objective for Exact Center.
Not sure what video you are referencing but there is a strong return to center on just about all EC installs. This is a 135 lb on a 2021 JLUR 392 XR with engine off. New video by jond shep
This is what you can expect from a similar install. Early on there was a computer problem where Roadmaster thought they were getting a level of fill equal on both sides, however the traction side (left turn) was getting a false reading. Tony has his own filling machine and he has a load cell to test after he fills. There should be a good return to center on all units, even the base unit which is just 66 lbs, mine is 130 lbs. 130 will be faster than 66 lbs, but both will do same thing. If the Jeep TJ you reference is Tony's he does have the 66lb unit as his steering box is not in the best shape.
WE [email protected] will offer several TJ and JK owners a free Exact Center and free install if they can come to our Gaylord Michigan shop. We need help designing brackets for TJ and JK that are at different mod levels.
Later Exact Center users will be able to try a unit at zero risk and all will be offered one free pressure upgrade in the first year.
Exact Center is not your fathers steering stabilizer, it is a powered hold at center a powered return to center and it helps cancel the wind. It can give any jeep in good mechanical condition the ability to drive like a high end SUV and to do things that SUV cannot do.
We need testers in Michigan. We have JL users and testers coast to coast now we need your Jeep. But first we need those users that are in Northern Lower Michigan.
email [email protected]il.com or call Tony at 1-989-448-2501 EST 8-4 call or email
follow TJ build yellerfeller 03 Rubicon Build he has a Exact Center and he just changed the mount

·
Super Moderator
2,423 Posts
I removed my comment. We have a growing family here and I want you to be a part of that.

·
Vendor
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I invented Tru-Center (20 years ago) BlueOX (RV towing supplier) wanted something Safe-T-Plus (big player in RV and truck stabilizers) did not have so I added a dynamic trim function and added that patent. It used a locking gas spring to change the length of the stabilizer on the fly. Doing this made install centering a 2 second push, it also allowed a user who had road or wind conditions that required him to turn the wheel against a outside load to do the 2 second push and recenter then the stabilizer held the steering load for you. When things changed a push and it recentered. That patent is still alive. The new exact center has a sister patent for a new hydraulic trim lock that will do the same trimming as the Tru-Center unit. However I am experimented with Ultra High Pressure in the Exact Center 400, 500, and 600 lbs. So far this high pressure seems it might be a better way to control the wind as it is there 100% of the time and the big power steering units make even Ultra High pressure invisible. I have 340 lbs on my Super C RV and I tried 400 lbs before. We have found over steering in the wind is what most of us do, with EC the pressure holds against the wind you feel a bit heavier wheel, but it is fairly easy to stay where you want without corrections. After we get more feed back we will decide if adding dynamic trim on the fly is merited. We do have the patents. We have several people testing high pressure on Class A's B's and C's. It takes a lot of time to get the data. We also have the only proven product that lets RVers who tow a dingy 4 down behind their RV's back up. We have 7 users right now with Exact Center on their Dingy (JL's and JLU's) doing backing. This was considered impossible before Exact center.
John I see you follow my grandson Tony's yellow feller build, see if you can help him find testers for Exact Center in upper lower michigan. Exact Center is Tonys deal. He works very hard to be sure the JL people get what they need and now he wants to do the same for TJ and JK. Tony has a YJ with 15" lift 35's and exact center he drive 75 mph no hands. He is good and so is his dad. Tony will appreciate the help, he is trying to save the straight axle for the next Wrangler. He is a true jeep nut and user who does off-road a lot. Thanks johnd

·
Administrator
11,795 Posts
Not sure how familiar you are with the Howard Power Center Steering but it used an air pump to provide the 'energy' (sort of, the fluid was the medium) for the ram to operate. The air pressure was adjustable so you can add as much or as little steering resistance as the driver preferred. My original install had a Viair air compressor which was operated out of specification - I think Terry (the primary tech guy) had it cutting out at 200+ PSI while the compressor was rated for 150 (or 175?) PSI and ultimately it failed.

Since our coach had an IFS front end, installation was considerably more difficult than the usual straight axle which is why I suspect Terry was operating the compressor past its limits. An interesting situation was when we used the coach above a certain altitude the air compressor couldn't reach cutoff pressure and just ran and ran.

I replaced the Viair with an ARB compressor, not as much pressure but the system worked fine below a certain altitude.

Dee Howard was trying to interest trucking fleets in the product so there were trials. An hour meter was part of the install so use of the product by drivers could be evaluated.

One other factoid is TRW developed a competing product called Comfort Steer or True Steer or something like that.

·
Vendor
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · · Business
Not sure how familiar you are with the Howard Power Center Steering but it used an air pump to provide the 'energy' (sort of, the fluid was the medium) for the ram to operate. The air pressure was adjustable so you can add as much or as little steering resistance as the driver preferred. My original install had a Viair air compressor which was operated out of specification - I think Terry (the primary tech guy) had it cutting out at 200+ PSI while the compressor was rated for 150 (or 175?) PSI and ultimately it failed.

Since our coach had an IFS front end, installation was considerably more difficult than the usual straight axle which is why I suspect Terry was operating the compressor past its limits. An interesting situation was when we used the coach above a certain altitude the air compressor couldn't reach cutoff pressure and just ran and ran.

I replaced the Viair with an ARB compressor, not as much pressure but the system worked fine below a certain altitude.

Dee Howard was trying to interest trucking fleets in the product so there were trials. An hour meter was part of the install so use of the product by drivers could be evaluated.

One other factoid is TRW developed a competing product called Comfort Steer or True Steer or something like that.
Comfort Drive, very good system. 20 years ago I did know much more about the Howard unit, I will be 78 in a few days so life goes on and the memory fades. We have learned it is very hard to get too much pressure on the large truck and RV power steering systems. On TJ and Jk we can, but JL hides the pressure. I now have a 2021 Dynamax 32 ft RV on a Ram 5500 HD 4WD about 20k GVWR. I have a 340lb unit on it and it does a great job of canceling the wind affect. I had a 400 lb unit, but my bracket then was not strong enough and it moved a little un pressure. Exact Center is different than most other stabilizers we have to have solid mounts with zero movement and we need to be dailed into exact center within 002". It is not hard to do. I have patented a new design trim lock that lets you trim on the fly, but we may not use it as I will be testin bigger body EC's with 400,500, and 600 lbs of centering. Even at 400 lbs on my Ram 5500 you can turn the wheel with one finger. I have 135 lb on my 2021 JLUR 392 XR and i bet if you drove it you would think it is just a great driving SUV. It is invisible with engine running and the power steering.
Can you help us (Tony) find some Michigan ROF members that we can give a free unit and install to? This will make a good Jeep great. Like the Howard this is a big change in your steering.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

·
Super Moderator
2,423 Posts
I once explored getting a patent. There I was, a little guy in a meeting room of a law firm with big glass windows overlooking the Pacific Ocean. I had my prototype as a demo. I paid to have them pull up other patents to look for duplication. I realized how much marketing I was going to have to do and let it go. I stopped short of securing a patent.

You have my respec!

·
Vendor
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · · Business
Norminator
Getting the patent requires very special skills by the patent atty. Very few so-called patent attys are any good. I have had the same firm from day one and 3 of my atty's have retired and the 4 may soon. I have had the father then the son, then the key guy now his son. We have gone from $150 hour in 1978 to $500 a hour today. However my guy has been successful about 25 out of 26 times. I got my first in 1978. I have about 25. Making money is even harder then getting the patents. Having a patent means you can claim infringement when someone steals your idea. Infringement law suites are $300K plus. I found out long ago the small guy (me) needs a very big guy to keep the even bigger guys away.
A very smart man once told me patents are nice, but marketing is everything. Now you are competing with the whole world. Exact Center has International patents, very expensive. I have been doing this for 44 years and I do not think I could tell you it is a good way to spend your time.
There are ways to proceed without the full blown program. There also are ways that are worthless. Good luck. johnd

·
Administrator
11,795 Posts
.......Can you help us (Tony) find some Michigan ROF members that we can give a free unit and install to? .......
There should be quite a bit of interest in this product, it was a significant help for our now sold coach. Suggest you make a post (I think you already have mentioned it somewhere) asking for a test mule.

I once explored getting a patent. There I was, a little guy in a meeting room of a law firm with big glass windows overlooking the Pacific Ocean. I had my prototype as a demo. I paid to have them pull up other patents to look for duplication. I realized how much marketing I was going to have to do and let it go. I stopped short of securing a patent.

You have my respec!
Even with a patent and a great product, the Chinese will rip you off as Magnalight found out a long time ago. Small business with the first quality metal flashlight, really a breakthrough product. Then they spent piles of money and time defending the product from counterfeiters. As an aside, the Chinese as a nation do not respect intellectual property - they consider this theft as "borrowing." This is one reason why they will never be a successful nation or society.

Reactions: Norminator

·
Vendor
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited) · Business
There should be quite a bit of interest in this product, it was a significant help for our now sold coach. Suggest you make a post (I think you already have mentioned it somewhere) asking for a test mule.

Even with a patent and a great product, the Chinese will rip you off as Magnalight found out a long time ago. Small business with the first quality metal flashlight, really a breakthrough product. Then they spent piles of money and time defending the product from counterfeiters. As an aside, the Chinese as a nation do not respect intellectual property - they consider this theft as "borrowing." This is one reason why they will never be a successful nation or society.
I cannot say you are wrong, but I expect the attack will be from American players and that would be a mistake as we could make a deal with them. In the world of near 8 billion people I am the only person that has done gas spring steering centering and return I am on the 6 patents for the process. Because we were the whole of prior art our patents cover the broadest range of use I have ever seen. The biggest gas spring company in the world (one we used for the previous RV steering product) offered to let their chief American engineer explain why my product would not work. They did this after having a working prototype in their possesion for months and after I had built several hundred units and had tested several hundred units. I think I found a tech hole no one had been in. We are well over 1000 units now so I think it does work and it works real great. We need testers for TJ and JK and CJ. We have many RV's many ambulances, many trucks, even a couple side by sides. Help us expand the knowledge, we can save the straight axle. This can make a Jeep in good mechanical condition drive like a current high end sport SUV. We also need offroad trucks.
We need testers in Michigan. We have JL users and testers coast to coast now we need your Jeep. But first we need those users that are in Northern Lower Michigan.
email [email protected] or call Tony at 1-989-448-2501 EST 8-4 call or email
follow TJ build yellerfeller 03 Rubicon Build he has a Exact Center and he just changed the mount
Roadmaster is doing RV every day in Oregon at their plant. Right now they are limited to 300lbs on the EC, but by end of Summer we should be doing 600 lbs or more. A 40000 GVWR class A with TAG will want more than 300 lbs. I had two Prevosts that were 54000 GVWR and a 45ft Holiday Rambler Navigator 4 slide that close to the same, I also had a 40 foot Monaco Signature (again high end) however I cannot say if I did not try the device on everything I would do any of those four. The really big expensive heavy RVs I have owned (maybe 5) were good on steering and wind. The lower cost class As do need help and The two Super C's onj Freightliner M-2 I had were helped a lot by EC. My second one a 2018 Renegade 39 foot I tested with 175, 250, and 335. At 335 in 15000 miles I did not find a wind that required steering correction. That test is what made me beleive Ultra High pressure might be better than trim on the fly and they are easier to install and much less in intenial cost. My current Super C on a Ram 5500 4 WD 20000 GVWR is showing 400 lbs is still one finger steerable. The massive power steering makes TC invisible. We have even done 200 lbs on a JL with 44s. JL can handle much more pressure than most TJs. We do have a TJ with 140, Tony my grand son has 70 lbs and my sons long arm 4" lift with a V8 is happy with 75lbs. We do offer one free pressure trade first year. My 2021 JLUR 392 XR 35s has tested 66, 87,110,125 and has had 135 since March. It drives as good as any high end SUV and with the 392 it is a rocket. I bought my grandsons 2020 SRX for a daily driver and drive the 392 once a week. It makes no sense, but I feel i saving the JL.
We do have a michigan Jeep shop who have said they will give us a TJ to add our unit on for them to demo. That is a start. We have several in our family.

SaveShare
Reply Quote

1 - 17 of 17 Posts