Rubicon Owners Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ha ha ha ha ha......... not my intent.

I installed the temp gauge this afternoon, just haven't driven it yet. When I do I will compare the gauge to various places with my IR thermometer.

·
Registered
489 Posts
So I finally sorted out some issues I wanted to deal with and me and the dog went for a drive today. He loves the Jeep. He sits there and grins at me... its weird. Anyway, drove it for 35 minutes at 75 MPH, tranny temp gauge climbed to 105 F. Ambient was -7 C (45 F?)... at that speed the boost is zero unless I hit a hill and it goes from to a max of about 4 PSI but stays in OD. (On cruise control). If it was a big hill it would have kicked out of OD and I have hit 5 or 6 psi on cruise but not on the route I drove today. RPM was around 2250 ish. I have 35's with stock Rubi gearing (4.10's). I did some stop and go in Spruce Grove as well and it got about 5 degrees warmer. I was fuzzing it a bit too. We got back to the house and parked in the heated garage (75ish). Got out and aimed the temp gun at the pan, same reading as the gauge. The transmission cooler (mounted in front of the rad with the stock engine driven fan) read 20 degrees higher on the inlet end and the same temp as the pan on the cold end. If anyone had specific questions or wants other readings just ask. I should add that when I rebuilt the transmission I plugged the trans cooler bypass circuit so it couldn't bypass the cooler any more. All of the flow coming from the converter goes through the cooler now. If you choose to do that you HAVE to run synthetic ATF+4...

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sorry I meant to tell you guys that on my Jeep the fluid comes out of the transmission, goes into the rad trans cooler and when it exists the rad it goes to the aftermarket cooler and then returns to the pan. I believe that running the fluid through the rad stabilizes the temperature of the fluid (helps being it up to working temperature in cold temps). It then goes through the external (aftermarket) cooler and looses some heat and then returns to the transmission pan.

·
Administrator
11,568 Posts
4:10 gears and 35" tires is a real challenge for the engine and tranny, regearing to 4.88 will reduce the load and cooling system demand..

Reactions: Norminator

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sorry -7 is about 19 isn't it...
I don't disagree John, I don't use OD unless I'm up to speed on the highway and generally I trailer it to keep the miles down. I don't do any hard core wheeling so it works pretty good for what I do. The engine has zero issues with the gearing (turbo) and no cooling issues at all. The extra load on the transmission is a valid point. Any time I am putting a higher load on it I just grab low range for a bit. If I was going to keep it I would go with lower gearing. Just going through it now to prepare it to sell.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts