Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was a bit late with this thread. I had to rescue my F150 and replace the positive battery cable assembly (EXPENSIVE).

Feel free to share your cooler installs and temp sensors or gauges too. Share your cooler philosophes. .

I've heard different philosophies of flow. Here's my order and direction of flow...

Transmission Output (Bottom line) -->
Secondary Cooler (Enter Top Line, Exit Bottom Line) -->
Radiator Cooler (Enter Driver's Side, Exit Passenger Side) -->
Transmission Input (Top Line)

My first installation position of the secondary cooler had its input and output pointed down. I always had air trapped in the secondary cooler interrupting flow. Air was flowing and not fluid. The only reason I chose this installation was the cooler fitting better on the Jeep grill "V" bracket. I ditched this position and moved the cooler 90 degrees with the input and output to the right. The fluid enters from the top and exits to the radiator cooler from the bottom. Although air is in the secondary cooler, fluid still flows uninterrupted and exits the bottom.

I chose to have the fluid enter the transmission from the radiator cooler so that the radiator would warm the transmission as the engine warms up.

My secondary cooler is a B&M stacked configuration as opposed to a serpentine style.

The pictures show aluminum bars attached to the "V" bar, with the B&M cooler attached to the aluminum bars. I removed the radiator to have better access. My first cooler install was done through the driver's side headlight (pointed down version with no aluminum brackets). I realized I couldn't really do it right without having better access.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Grille Tread
Automotive tire Tread Wood Composite material Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I had this type of cooler on my TJ, I spliced the line between the factory cooler and the transmission, the input/output where at the bottom.
I could tell there was a significant difference just by grabbing the line with my bare hand, input side felt hot, output side felt warm
Camera accessory Font Electronic device Auto part Electronics accessory

·
Registered
260 Posts
Best is a stacked plate, the old tube and fin just don't reject enough heat apples to apples for face area.

·
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which brings up the second question. How are you all getting temps?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts