Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
10,694 Posts
Sign of the times unfortunately. I have many fond memories of wandering around the tool section of Sears while the Mrs. looked at clothes. Sigh.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I loved craftsman,.. many fond memories of going there with my dad buying tools. About 5 years ago I took back a ratchet to get replaced after having it for a decade. They swapped it out no problem. I broke it a few hours later trying to get a rusted bolt off the jeep. Went back the next day and they denied my warranty. Said my original was made in USA and the new replacement was a made in china one and would not warranty those the same way. I have been switching over to Snapon ever sense.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I just got a Sears Gift card for Christmas, I Guess I'd better get down there! "Say it isn't so" HF will have a better warranty than Sears? A good portion of my tools are Craftsman, still have and use my Original Wrenches from the 70's. Haven't returned any thing lately but I did notice that the screwdrivers were not the same quality as of previous times. If Craftsman Tools Gives up the warranty program there is really no instinctive to purchase their tools. As mentioned earlier shop elsewhere, Are any tools still made in the USA?

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Craft an tools have been going to the crapper for years. I have a couple of ratchets that are pure garbage. I bought them on name brand recognition but sure wishe I had not. They sit at the bottom of my tool chest.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I took a Craftsmen ratchet back to Sears and the salesperson, essentially a kid with his first job, reached into a drawer and gave me a replacement ratchet. Obviously it was an old one someone else returned and didn't work right. I had to let the kid know I wanted a new one.

Today putting on my new parts the new ratchet was acting up. Your right Craftsman is not what it use to be and Sears is not what it use to be.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I took a Craftsmen ratchet back to Sears and the salesperson, essentially a kid with his first job, reached into a drawer and gave me a replacement ratchet. Obviously it was an old one someone else returned and didn't work right. I had to let the kid know I wanted a new one.

Today putting on my new parts the new ratchet was acting up. Your right Craftsman is not what it use to be and Sears is not what it use to be.
I was using a 1/2" drive ratchet to remove a shock bolt on my Harley and the mech. broke, luckily nothing was in the way of my hand when it broke.
There is no Sears store here anymore. I have been buying Lowes tools if I need something now. Luckily I don't need anything with my collection of tools.

·
3,369 Posts
It is hard to even find a sears anymore in my area. I guess you could go to a K-Mart, although they are all leaving my area also. About three years ago someone opened one of those "hometown" local sears stores that is quite small. But they have got most everything I would need for tools. Quite sad really. I was talking to the wife just the other day about when my big nice sears platinum battery croaks what I am going to do. I can order one, or perhaps drive 60 miles away and pick one up... but that sure doesn't help in the convenience arena.

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
My local Ace Hardware carries Craftsman. Pretty good selection, too.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
I have a 3/8" Craftsman ratchet, purchased in 2010, that is the biggest POS I've ever owned. It is stamped "Made in USA". Prior to that, I bought a cheap Husky brand 3/8 ratchet in 2008 and it has been my go-to ever since.

I was talking to the wife just the other day about when my big nice sears platinum battery croaks what I am going to do. I can order one, or perhaps drive 60 miles away and pick one up... but that sure doesn't help in the convenience arena.
No need to worry. Sears quit selling the Die Hard Platinum a couple years back.

·
Registered
49 Posts
All of my 1/2 drives are the SK set I bought in high school, back in '78... they are the bomb! My 3/8 & 1/4 drives are craftsman. The 3/8 ratchet slips...the 1/4...well how much tough duty can u do w/ 1/4 drive! Lol. RIP SK & craftsman...

·
Administrator
10,694 Posts
I bought one of those large wrench/socket tool sets in a plastic case a few years ago at Lowe's, the first time I used the 1/4" ratchet the little keeper ball at the end of the thingy which keeps the socket captured fell out. When you compare one of the wrenches to an SK or Craftsman, you quickly realize the quality difference. The kit wrenches are junk (but they work.)

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Craftsman ratchets are pretty reliable... I have 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4" Craftsman that are at least 30 years old. Had to take the 1/2 back for replacement a couple years ago after I loaned it to a neighbor, not sure what happened. Only other one I have taken back is a different 3/8 that was originally my dads, age unknown... my guess 50+ years.

For me my Craftsman have been dependable, I would hate to lose the option of free replacement.
I suppose it also depends on how much use they get and whether an idiot puts a breaker bar on it etc etc.

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
My Craftsman 3/8 and 1/2 inch set, along with the wrenches and toolbox have been problem free since purchased in 1967.

Apart from the Savage pump .22 my dad bought me as a kid, they are my oldest possessions. Most stuff today just doesn't last like that.

·
Administrator
10,694 Posts
I have a bunch of Craftsman hand tools and a few power tools, some of which I've accumulated over the years and many from my father-in-law's tool collection after he passed. It's always a pleasure to his tools - good memories. I think every one of the ratchets is still working fine.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts