Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not an install post as such. The Savvy instruction were fine. Just follow them.

I really like this skid, and Savvy did a very good job providing a thorough parts bag. Not only did they provide the necessary hardware to assemble the skid, they thoughtfully added replacement stove bolts, retainers and nuts incase the mounting hardware on your jeep is shot. Also provided are plastic rivets to replace the ones you mangle getting the wheel well liner out of the way. They even give you a couple zip ties to re-secure vent lines and cables. Very well though out. Bravo, Savvy.

Here are a few things that are not obvious for the first-timer dropping the tank.

The red clip holding the fuel pump wiring connector together must be fully removed. This is unlike the black electrical connectors found elsewhere on the jeep. Even with a body lift it is hard to get at that connector, so you need to drop the tank to get two hands on it. Care needs to be taken to not stress the harness, though.
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1471647419.913190.jpg
The instructions lead you to believe you need to disconnect the fuel line at the pump, but it is much easier to disconnect that line and a return line at the frame just forward of the left rear shock. (At least on my 2005 LJ)
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1471647461.670511.jpg
The evap canister hose connection in the right rear corner of the tub gave me trouble. The Savvy instructions caution to be careful and not attempt to use tools to release the connection. I guess that includes a thumbnail because I managed to break the "C" clip that holds the hose on the connector. Two dealers told me the only way to fix that is to replace the complete ho$e assembly, because the clip comes with the ho$e. That just did not make sense, so I went to NAPA and was able to get the clip. PN 730-7381 when you break yours. It is incredibly thin and brittle after eleven years.
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1471647484.932301.jpg
Finally, I will add that for those of us the are lift challenged, a motorcycle/ATV jack made this a lot easier.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1471647506.545249.jpg

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, never did. I did not do an exhaustive online search, though. My burps are still infrequent. No burp when fueling up after this install.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Nice of you to share your experience with everyone. I'm sure there are a lot of guys that haven't dropped a tank. I've done it many times over the years and the use of the bike lift is a very good tip that I've never thought of!

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those folks with a vehicle lift might find a transmission jack useful but the lower motorcycle Jack, with its wide platform, is great for those of us working on jack stands.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Nope, never did. I did not do an exhaustive online search, though. My burps are still infrequent. No burp when fueling up after this install.
There is finally a fix for the messed up filler hose and neck that someone figured out. Essentially the problem is some of the plastic in the tank fittings is not fully compatible with our oddball fuel mixtures we get nowadays and that causes it to swell.

The video shows the part, how to alter it's dimensions and return it back to properly working condition.

Ignore the part where he doesn't remember what vehicle he is working on, the fix is worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4DXHsacHB4

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is an interesting approach, and the first I have seen besides the GM hose solution. It is the GM hose that does not seem to be available, at least at the moment.

It does seem that there may be two separate problems since some have found relief going the new hose route to get a better flapper.

When mine gets worse I will try this. Right now I need to get over the sore back and muscle aches from this tank drop.

·
Registered
478 Posts
There is finally a fix for the messed up filler hose and neck that someone figured out. Essentially the problem is some of the plastic in the tank fittings is not fully compatible with our oddball fuel mixtures we get nowadays and that causes it to swell.

The video shows the part, how to alter it's dimensions and return it back to properly working condition.

Ignore the part where he doesn't remember what vehicle he is working on, the fix is worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4DXHsacHB4
Nice of him to share his findings. Seems like that makes sense to this fella!

Somebody should buy that dude a fluorescent drop light!

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Nice informative write-up. My tank was dropped quite awhile back to install a Warn skid. Don't plan on having to drop it again, but if I do.......Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Subscribed. Now I need a tank skid so that I can do this repair!

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
Subscribed. Now I need a tank skid so that I can do this repair!
As a matter of fact my almost new Savvy tank skid will be available sometime next week :crying:. There isn't enough clearance for the Dana 60 with the stock tank so my 4x4 shop ordered a new GenRight tank/skid for me. Another kilobuck added to Rubi's butt transplant :surprise:.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hate that kind of surprise, or did you know that in advance of ordering the 60?

I thought about the GR tank, but for added capacity. I don't suppose you can get a larger tank and still clear the pumpkin.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
As a matter of fact my almost new Savvy tank skid will be available sometime next week :crying:. There isn't enough clearance for the Dana 60 with the stock tank so my 4x4 shop ordered a new GenRight tank/skid for me. Another kilobuck added to Rubi's butt transplant :surprise:.

Keep me in mind. I wasn't completely joking. Btw, do you have a body lift to tuck the tank up?

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
Bill - I was alerted at the beginning there might be a clearance problem. I do wind up with more clearance and 23 gallons of fuel. However - for the install you must have outboard shocks which I fortunately did some time ago.

Ian - roger about you as a potential buyer. I do have a body lift so with the Rokmen skid and then the Savvy skid, the tank is about one inch higher.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
John, off topic, but how much lift? I've been considering a body lift in preparation for the rokmen skid setup.

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
I think I used the JKS body lift pucks for about 1.25", it would be good to do a motor mount lift at the same time with either the JKS spacers or go new with Brown Dog mounts.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Hey John I'd be interested in the Savvy gas tank skid if still available and I'm only about 5 hrs away from Montrose in Golden so no need to ship. I'll shoot you a pm.

Chris

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No problem. Sounds like it was beneficial to all parties.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts