Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to install a Hopkins 56202 wiring harness kit for when towing the Jeep behind my motorhome. It plugs into the existing wiring harness behind each tail light, then runs up to the front of the Jeep. Pulled down the panels behind each tail light. Readily found the connector to the drivers side tail light, but can't find the one to the passenger side. Removed the tail light assembly and followed the wiring - it disappears towards to drivers side, but no connector.

Various reviews of the wiring harness on Amazon comment easy install and location of the connectors...

Anyone been here before? Suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-56202-Simple-Vehicle-Wiring/dp/B009SIO9Q6

thx!
Vince

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
Has to have a connector. Pull the plastic down that is underneath the evap canister and eyeball where the light wiring comes through the body. That or pull more wiring out of the tail light hole...

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
When I had a buddy wire my '03 up so I could tow it he did all the wiring connections up under the dash on the far drivers side using a flat type connector. I just unplug the OEM connector and plug in the other one. That one then runs out the firewall to the front of the Jeep and utilizes a permanently mounted 4 pin round trailer plug. A pig-tail connects from that to the RV's round plug. The only light that isn't lit is the high mounted center stop light.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Here are some instructions or tips on the Amazon reviews that you may have already read.

When you complete the installation please give a review and instructions on ROF. I have been wanting to do this and your help will be appreciated.

The instructions for my 06 Wrangler Rubicon installation were horrible! They tell you to remove the rear taillights to get at the plug connectors which is totally unnecessary. You need to pull out the plastic push in fastener at each bottom corner of the body. Then fold back the plastic flap & the plugs are right there. Instructions also say to route the wires to the front of Jeep on the passenger side but the wires that go to the front end up on drivers side if installed per instructions. Anyone installing this will see what I'm talking about. Instructions also say double stick tape is included to mount diode box behind driver side taillight. Tape was not included. Other than wasting time removing taillights & trying to figure out screwed up instructions, then figuring out how to actually get at the plugs, The harness is fine. The installation time depends on how & where you run the wiring and how clean of a job you want to do.

·
Administrator
10,842 Posts
I just used a diode kit and use a 'tap' connector to tap into the taillights. It was a PITA to run the wiring from the back to the front though.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Trying to install a Hopkins 56202 wiring harness kit for when towing the Jeep behind my motorhome. It plugs into the existing wiring harness behind each tail light, then runs up to the front of the Jeep. Pulled down the panels behind each tail light. Readily found the connector to the drivers side tail light, but can't find the one to the passenger side. Removed the tail light assembly and followed the wiring - it disappears towards to drivers side, but no connector.

Various reviews of the wiring harness on Amazon comment easy install and location of the connectors...

Anyone been here before? Suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-56202-Simple-Vehicle-Wiring/dp/B009SIO9Q6

thx!
Vince

Pop the back half of the wheel liner out. Disco the main emissions line. Remove the bolts that hold the shield over the emissions group. Then remove the two bolts that are left and the whole emissions group will slide right out. The harness connector for the tail lights is behind it. Literally you are looking at 5 minutes worth of work to drop it out of there.

Like most things, there are lots of ways to skin a cat and due to all the messed up and boogered up wiring I've fixed and tried to fix, I fully recommend NOT cutting into the factory wiring for tow lights.

Get a magnetic light kit, there are even wireless versions now and rig that up in some acceptable manner.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Vince,
I have collected these videos planning to hook up a diode kit for flat towing my TJ Jeep. May be helpful although you may be way ahead of these instructions at this point.

Installing diode kit, also at the bottom of the opening page are wire diagrams for diode kit install.
https://www.etrailer.com/p-38955.html

How to get to the tail light wires, video is for hooking up a tow package but shows how to access the rear tail light wires.
https://www.etrailer.com/tv-wiring-install-2004-jeep-wrangler.aspx

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I added redundant lights that are activated by the coach brake lights. There is room in the taillight assembly.

My auxiliary brake system depresses the jeep brake peddle which turns on the LJ brake lights. If the aux brake fails the redundant lights will still come on with the coach brakes.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, finally returned attention to installing this wiring harness. Blaine was correct in the need to remove the emissions package to access the PS connector.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for their help!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I just did this same thing but I pulled the roadmaster diodes and installed the Hopkins harness, but I soldered in new heavier 4 way wiring from a trailer protected in a black sheath. And strapped that to the break lines to get it up to the front, what are you doing for breaking? I’m using roadmaster evenbrake but want to put a permanent installation in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts