Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Jeepless in PA
12,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey RoF'ers,

I have been debating wether or not to create a trailer for trail maintenance during campjeep and whatever else so I finally decided to follow through with it.

Thanks Nuckledragger for your inspiration and the never ending source of answers from your buildup at http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=54086

This is what I am going after.....

the hardest part was finding the proper axle to fit my requirements, I did not want it to be less then 56 hub face or wider than the jeep w/o spacers. so I had to get a custom setup from http://www.abctrailerparts.com in Alabama for 121.99.

I ended up with 36" spring centers, 56" hub face, 3500 lb rating, oversprung and in 6on5.5 since I already have the rims and tires. It was cheaper to custom make it so why not...

after mocking up the deck, it ended up being 59"x38" since the axle was the deciding factor. the main sides are 4" channel, the cross bracing is 3" channel, the center square stock is 2" I.D. to accept a slide in pintle hoop
and a 2" ball channel hitch

On to the build!

a little mock up...

please excuse my welding,

when it is done, the removable side rails will be about 2' high (that is the black tube height, made out of 1/2" box tubing with some kind of inner rolled steel (1/16?)or aluminum. (battery box and cooler for comparison)

hopefully it is nice next weekend to cut the decking and design a fender

·
Registered
314 Posts
Re: RumbleBee's tow behind it all trailer

Very nice! Keep us updated with specs as there are probably a lot of us with the same idea and would like all the help possible.

·
Registered
235 Posts

one tip, although its too late to do on this project. When you have to do a vertical weld,

travel up, not down. When you weld down, you
A. loose alot of heat, and
B. impurities get under your weld.
C. results in a much weaker weld.

your vertical up won't look as nice,(mine doesn't) but with practice, and torch manipulation, you'll get it looking good.

·
Registered
273 Posts

That trailer is really cool it looks like its an all round useful piece of metal i was wondering if you could send me or just post specs on your trailer i don't know i think that would be a cool project for me

·
Jeepless in PA
12,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

today we cut the decking out of 1/8th rolled steel and painted it. since that added atleast 60 lbs, I think the axle is in a good 60/40 weight split. time to finish the axle perch hangers and slap it together.

mntbkrmatt, good catch and thanks for the tip! I only do verticle welds, if I have to :) , we actually flipped the trailer over to seal between the channels of the bottom.

durubi, when I finish this (hopefully soon), I will be updating the actual size of everything and I will pm you all the info I have on axles, deck, sides, etc.

·
Registered
273 Posts

thanks buddy that is the one thing that is lacking on my rubi is space and there not exactly rated to tow esspecially with my 1' reciver from mopar but that trailer looks like a perfect home station for any trip to go wheelin anything would be much appreciated

·
Jeepless in PA
12,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

here is what we have so far. last time I left you with an empty trailer, but now it is covered, painted, fenders and side rail holders.

First chore was to design and make the fenders out of 16gauge steel. was it a pita? oh yea, but it is custom and free. :)

-we designed the tire room to flex with 4inches on either side and 5inches up top. it is at 60degrees I believe, have to check...
-we cut it into 48" strips 14.5" wide because the center section is 12.5 with an inch on both for rigidity. we bent it with vice grips then hammered it until it was smooth

-the inner section is fabbed from 1/8 diamond plate

-a little mock up

-all welded up and read for the next one...

-I am getting better at this :cheesy:

-I like this picture, donno why... :twisted:

-one of them is installed

-we need to fab in 2inch piece of 1/8inch angle steel to make it more structural and for the license plate/light attachment

-after all the 1inch pre slotted tubing is installed (for the slide rails to go into, a latch will hold it on)

-this funky design will be used to keep the hitch from wobbling in the tubing. for one hitch, it is the proper size, but the other is a bit smaller. (just 1/8inch steel grounded down with a weld bung on it

-this will go into this, like this

-prep for painting

-all done for the primer.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Re: RumbleBee's tow behind it all trailer (update 4/13)

Might I recommend the Lock 'N' Roll trailer hitch instead of the pintle/lunette set up?
http://www.locknroll.com/

My M101 has a pintle/lunette and does fine, but it does bang and clunk around a bit when off road.
One of these days i'm gonna convert it to the Lock'N'Roll set up.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Re: RumbleBee's tow behind it all trailer (update 4/13)

Very cool!! Thank you very much for the credit. I did post and answer questions to share with all the "DIY'ers" but I appreciate the mention a lot. I have not had a chance to try the pintle attachment yet but the coupler is going to be used most of the time. I knew it would be noisy. I did look at those high zoot fancy hitches but they were $$$. My swapable set up ended up costing a total of $80+- change. I really like the look of the trailer you are going for. Keep you eye on the prize and a word of advice...... when you get to the ending part of the project, STAY COOL!! Don't rush and do the things you are supposed to do in the order you need to do them or you will regret it. It is really hard when it starts going together to not speed things up because you are excited.

You will see........

Really well done!

·
Jeepless in PA
12,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: RumbleBee's 1.5ton trailer (update 4/13)

since we have had alot of nice days, we were able to paint the trailer black and run all the lights. I still need to purchase the pintle loop slide in hitch. until then, I will keep the 2in ball receiver bolted on.

now I am awaiting the tires to be mounted then I will flex the jeep on it as a test. :lildevil:

·
Jeepless in PA
12,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

TX_03RUBI said:
Very nice! Keep us updated with specs as there are probably a lot of us with the same idea and would like all the help possible.
Trailer Materials-

Tongue
=(2) 3" Channel 47" long
=(1) 2.5" Box Tube 52"long

Bed
=(2) 4"Channel 59" long
=(5) crossbrace 3"Channel 38" long (notch cut)
=59x38" 1/8"aluminum plate

Fenders
=(2) 4'x14.5" 1/8"aluminum, bent 45degrees @ 1foot up either side
=(12" angle, 2"wide, 1/8"thick aluminum
=misc size aluminum for light and plate mount

Sides
=(8) 4", (8) 3" slotted tube for the holders
=(8)28" 1x1box tube
=(8)27" 1x1box tube
=(2) 2'x40.5" 1/8"aluminum plate
=(2) 2'x59" 1/8"aluminum plate

Axle
=3500lb, 36"spring centers, 56" hub face-to-face

Misc
=(1) 2"x2.5" ball coupler
=(1) 23"x33.5" adjustable jack
=(1) Harbor Freight Lighting kit (20$)
=(17) lynch/snap pins
=(8) 1/4" wing nuts w/ 2"bolts
=(48) #8bolts x 1.25" w/ nuts, washers,lock washers

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Re: RumbleBee's 1.5ton trailer (update 4/30)

Nice looking job, it should tow good.

·
Jeepless in PA
12,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

thanks for the kind words. still waiting for these tires to show up! :agrue:

·
Administrator
15,112 Posts

looks good!
:appl:

·
Jeepless in PA
12,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

finally had new tires come in for the worktruck so the old ones are now for the trailer.

are 33x11.5R16. yes, they are A/T, but they are 8 ply :lildevil:

eventually I need to figure out a top piece for the canvas and to store even more.

·
Registered
325 Posts
You guys are really making me want to build my own. Man, I love that removeable side deal.

·
Jeepless in PA
12,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This trailer sat in the yard since 2008 but now that I have a kayak, it is time to get to work. My prior use for this trailer was to tow at camp jeep for trail maintenance but the event is gone forever.

I had a bunch of pressure treated 2x10s sitting around from an old project so I made my own 2x4s. Here is the kayak carrier! I had to extend the tongue two feet or the kayaks would have hit the truck bed on a turn.

Edit- okay, so I can't attach a photo. Humm.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts