Rubicon Owners Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
John, is the tank mounted in a skid, or is it just a beef metal tank? The first shot looks like the aluminum tank rests in a black steel/aluminum skid. Looks like a higher capacity tank. Which one did you go with?

No need for a rental car. You have Frank to drive you around now!

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
John, is the tank mounted in a skid, or is it just a beef metal tank? The first shot looks like the aluminum tank rests in a black steel/aluminum skid. Looks like a higher capacity tank. Which one did you go with?

No need for a rental car. You have Frank to drive you around now!

Not yet but soon. We get there late tomorrow:wink2:

·
Administrator
10,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
John, is the tank mounted in a skid, or is it just a beef metal tank? The first shot looks like the aluminum tank rests in a black steel/aluminum skid. Looks like a higher capacity tank. Which one did you go with? .....
Bill - it's an aluminum (not made from cattle) tank mounted in a steel skid. 23 gallons vs. the ~19 gallons OEM tank. I really hated to give up my Savvy aluminum skid but oh well. I was a bit concerned this tank might sit a little lower but Craig said it might tuck up a little higher than the old tank/skid.

There's a whole bunch of room now between the tank and the diff, so much so the axle could could be pushed back a couple of inches giving a better take-off angle. If I was going to leave Rubi with Craig for a couple of months, I would have had done a stretch, no time for that now.

The tank is the GenRight TJ/LJ Crawler™ COMP Gas Tank & Skid Plate (23 Gal).The tank is TIG welded and the welds are a piece of artwork - perfect. I have a hard time "stacking dimes" with TIG for more than three or four inches, their guys make a perfect weld for the entire tank.

Frank - see you guys later today.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
Thanks for the picture. I saw the single lateral strap and different color material and thought it must still be two separate units. There can't be too much room to go higher, but perhaps the tank is wider, but shallower.

Now I now where to go with my rubber tube if I run low. Twenty-three gallons is a nice add.

Sorry about the typo. My thumbs must have been slightly under the influence at the time of writing.

Can't wait to see the final product in Moab.

·
Administrator
10,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
All-righty then... couldn't find any wheels to borrow to check on Rubi yesterday but I called the shop and chatted with Will. He was working on the odds 'n ends - hooking up brake lines and a few other things. Will said it should be ready for me about noon Monday - they are going to do some road testing Monday morning. Yippee, only took four weeks.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
All-righty then... couldn't find any wheels to borrow to check on Rubi yesterday but I called the shop and chatted with Will. He was working on the odds 'n ends - hooking up brake lines and a few other things. Will said it should be ready for me about noon Monday - they are going to do some road testing Monday morning. Yippee, only took four weeks.
I love it when the modifications are done and the Jeep comes out of the shop...it's like having a Birthday and Christmas all at once.

·
Administrator
10,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yippee!

Picked Rubi up about 1500 local time, took her on a short drive, found a small gravel pile and drove over it a couple of times - everything seemed fine. Same road manners if not a little better. Winter projects already on the drawing board based on what Craig and Will found - replace front lower control arms, Johnny Joints are shot, replace springs. The rear track bar has rubbed on the passenger side spring putting a notch on it :frown2:. Craig wants me to replace the rear shocks with Fox emulsion shocks (remote reservoir not necessary) with longer travel.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Yeah

Just rebuild the Johnny joints, it not that hard. Some all thread, washers, sockets and nuts and you have got all the tool you need to do the job.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Blaine - why?
Inconsistent performance, they fade very quickly, and there is no benefit to them other than cost. If you need more travel, outboard a remote reservoir shock with some quality mounts, flip the calipers to the front side of the axle, and get all the good out of the shocks you can with whatever travel you desire within reason.

Did you change rear shocks with the axle swap?
Are the lower mounts on the new axle the same as the old axle?
Did anything change with the upper mounts?
How much up travel do you have now?

·
Administrator
10,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Rear shocks are the same, lower mounts are different and on the backside of the tube, top shock mount is the same. I forgot how much up travel I have with the old Bilsteins 5100s. I thought the shop was going to do a caliper flip but I see they are still in the original position. I want as much travel as the four-link will deliver so I will probably need to remove the shocks, bumpstops and flex the axle and measure the travel.

I'm not going to change anything now (but I'm certainly not opposed to Fox remote reservoir), that will be a fun winter project.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yesterday morning Craig and I took Rubi out to the rock crawling area west of Montrose and did one of the easier trails called Calamity. When I say easier, most of the trails in this area are really suited for tube buggies; this trail had one obstacle that was a two step climb. I got up the first step with no problem but struggled on the second step which had a huge hole the left rear tire was in (but that was the correct line.) I almost got up but the right front tire was not in firm ground contact so I essentially had three wheel drive.

Craig had to throw several rocks for my left rear tire and I finally got Rubi up and over, very fun obstacle. The rear suspension worked great - I felt more in control on an obstacle than ever before. Craig was suggesting the next stage for Rubi should be a Dana 60 up front with a three link and coil-overs. He would push the axle out two or three inches to make it better/easier to get up on a ledge. Next summer Rubi might get the front worked over. :smile2:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Craig was suggesting the next stage for Rubi should be a Dana 60 up front with a three link and coil-overs. He would push the axle out two or three inches to make it better/easier to get up on a ledge. Next summer Rubi might get the front worked over. :smile2:
Do it! :lildevil:

21 - 37 of 37 Posts