Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are mostly lousy cell phone pix and I've had issues trying to get them off my phone. Anyway here's a peek of the G2 Dana 44 to Currie Rock Jock Dana 60 swap. Next week I'll take the Nikon and make some better pix.

So the status at this point is we're waiting on the new GenRight Tank/skid, Monday the drive shaft goes to Grand Junction to get shortened. They need to fab up the link arms and frame brackets, regear the diff to 5.38, pull the ARB locker out of the old axle. Then brake lines, shock mounts, E brake, etc.

Oh wow - ka-ching. I can hear the $$$ accumulating :eek:.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
You could have saved some money in your original purchase of a Jeep and bought a Sport or SE. Is there anything left of your Rubicon other than the hood decals? :grin2:
But, if you hadn't bought a Rubicon, we may not have you with us here and I probably wouldn't have an air hose bracket in my front diff. :wink2:

·
3,425 Posts
You'll feel a bit more secure with the D60 as a rear axle. I hope you get a chance to compare the axle shafts. Those Currie D60 chromoly axle shafts are massive!

Congrats on the great upgrade. I'm looking forward to seeing trail pics with it in action!

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could have saved some money in your original purchase of a Jeep and bought a Sport or SE. Is there anything left of your Rubicon other than the hood decals? ...
LOL. That's exactly what Mouse did but he was a lot smarter than I was!

Let's see, what's still original on the suspension/drive train (as I bought her):

Front axle housing
Pittman arm
Springs
- end of list -

Don - the D60 will certainly take a lot of the worry out of wheeling. I asked Craig at Rockwerx if I should carry spare axles and he doubted I would ever break an axle. Most likely a U-Joint will go first.

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
At some point I missed it - what happened to your 44? Didn't you just put that in?

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Skip the new tank/skid and just move the stock tank back. The LJ has an extra crossmember that can be removed and bolt the rear of the tank to the rear crossmember like on the TJ. They will have to drill holes for the front mounting bolts....http://pix.poisonspyder.com/photos/i-mHtGdFS/0/L/i-mHtGdFS-L.jpg
Geeze Steve - now you tell me! We'll go ahead with the new tank since I'll get an extra few gallons of gas.

At some point I missed it - what happened to your 44? Didn't you just put that in?
It's probably been under Rubi for maybe three years, maybe four? I broke the OEM locker and the plan was to replace just the locker with OEM. Couldn't get an ARB quickly enough. Moab Outpost had a brand new G2 Dana 44 sitting in their showroom with my correct gears and an ARB so I went that route. I was leading a trail the day after they changed out the axle.

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
....It's probably been under Rubi for maybe three years, maybe four? I broke the OEM locker and the plan was to replace just the locker with OEM. Couldn't get an ARB quickly enough. Moab Outpost had a brand new G2 Dana 44 sitting in their showroom with my correct gears and an ARB so I went that route. I was leading a trail the day after they changed out the axle.
I think that is when I got the stock air hose bracket transplant....?

Ian, it's hard to keep up with this man.

·
3,425 Posts
Don - the D60 will certainly take a lot of the worry out of wheeling. I asked Craig at Rockwerx if I should carry spare axles and he doubted I would ever break an axle. Most likely a U-Joint will go first.

I've been wheeling my jeep with the Currie RJ 60 rear since 2007. No spare axles, never have needed one.

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally some work activity! The GenRight tank came in probably last Thursday and Will has made some good progress.

- shafts pulled out of the old axle, sold
- old gas tank dropped, skid sold
- ARB removed from old axle - that stays with me :cool:
- new axle regeared to 5.38
- truss fabbed and mounted on new axle
- new gas tank has been trial fitted, my AntiRock needs to be moved from the rear to the front of the axle due to clearance issues
- they found a crack in the frame somewhere in the area of where I outboarded the shocks, they will fix that

To-do list

- fab the control arms and frame brackets
- install the AntiRock
- put it all back together

I asked the shop owner if he will go with me for a couple of hours of rock- crawling as a final check and that's no problem. There's some really good rock-crawling trails west of Montrose.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Nice upgrade John. Wife has one in her JKUR, and it does add confidence when on the tougher trails.

On another note, which place in GJ is working on your driveshaft? We had a problem with the "heavy duty" driveshaft we had made here in Dallas when we put the RJ60 in the wife's Jeep. It didn't survive the highway trip to Ouray last summer.

Driveline Services in GJ rebuilt it for us after changing u-joints didn't fix the problem. They dropped everything, and rebuilt it for us while we went to breakfast. Best customer service ever. Great driveshaft too. Good luck with your mods.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Finally some work activity! The GenRight tank came in probably last Thursday and Will has made some good progress.

- shafts pulled out of the old axle, sold
- old gas tank dropped, skid sold
- ARB removed from old axle - that stays with me :cool:
- new axle regeared to 5.38
- truss fabbed and mounted on new axle
- new gas tank has been trial fitted, my AntiRock needs to be moved from the rear to the front of the axle due to clearance issues
- they found a crack in the frame somewhere in the area of where I outboarded the shocks, they will fix that

To-do list

- fab the control arms and frame brackets
- install the AntiRock
- put it all back together

I asked the shop owner if he will go with me for a couple of hours of rock- crawling as a final check and that's no problem. There's some really good rock-crawling trails west of Montrose.

Sure reminds me of the mosquito and the shotgun0:)

We leave here Thursday. Any room over there if you are able to go wheeling again?

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
..On another note, which place in GJ is working on your driveshaft? We had a problem with the "heavy duty" driveshaft we had made here in Dallas when we put the RJ60 in the wife's Jeep. It didn't survive the highway trip to Ouray last summer.

Driveline Services in GJ rebuilt it for us after changing u-joints didn't fix the problem. They dropped everything, and rebuilt it for us while we went to breakfast. Best customer service ever. Great driveshaft too. Good luck with your mods.
Thanks Ron. I'm not sure where Craig took the drive shaft, but they were just going to shorten it a bit - it's a Tom Woods drive Shaft. Craig must trust them so hopefully all's well.

We leave here Thursday. Any room over there if you are able to go wheeling again?
Plenty of spots open at Centennial - there was a mass exodus over the weekend. I don't think we will have Rubi back until Monday or Tuesday :crying:. We're turning in the rent car today, three weeks is long enough $$$ .

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Checked on Rubi a while ago, more progress :smile2:. New gas tank installed and they are fabbing up the control arms. Turned in the rent car so we're now without a vehicle but there's a car we can borrow here at the RV Park if we need one.

Ron - This shop usually sends stuff out to Tom Woods when they have lots of time but they did use Driveline Services in Grand Junction to cut the DS down.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts