Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the Rubicons came with a stock SYE??

If I install a 4-5" lift will I still need to get a new CV drive shaft?

I know non Rubi jeeps do but what advantages do the Rubi's SYE provide?

What is the average cost of a new CV drive shaft?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The advantage of the Rubicon SYE is just that, you don't have to get one...

Non Rubicon's have to get the SYE and a new drive shaft for those sorts of high lifts. All you have to do is place a call to Tom Woods Driveline, tell them what you have and bottabing bottaboom you get one like the next day. Problem solved.

Also Tom Woods staff explained to me, that the Rubicon weirdo flange and SYE has a mass vibe dampener on it, that can help a ton with vibes, they suggest not changing it as many other shops will have you do.

I am at 5.5" and then some, no vibes, I am a very happy camper.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ooops on cost.....

The Tom Woods is $360, when the lift amount gets real high they can do some extra machine'n on the shaft for an additional $70.

I went for the extra machine'n and I am pretty pleased with it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What extra machine'n on the shaft do you mean?Tom never mentioned any such thing to me.I am on my second TW CV,but still have vibes.It seems a little better,but still there.Just getting a TW CV doesn't mean all your problems or vibes are going to go away.

Tom Woods is the best as far as customer service goes,it's just mine is a mystery.If anyone can give me an ideas TW and I would appreciate it very much.

Rear pinion is 1 degree less then DS(about18) The front pinion and DS are even.

Thanks,
Daaron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The extra machine work has nothing to do with vibes, it has to do with helping binding at severe flex / articulation. They only mention it when they know the lift is extra high it seems.

I just more or less said what the heck, and got it done to mine.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
>What extra machine'n on the shaft do you mean?Tom never mentioned any such thing to me.I am on my second TW CV,but still have vibes.It seems a little better,but still there.Just getting a TW CV doesn't mean all your problems or vibes are going to go away.

Tom Woods is the best as far as customer service goes,it's just mine is a mystery.If anyone can give me an ideas TW and I would appreciate it very much.

Rear pinion is 1 degree less then DS(about18) The front pinion and DS are even.

Thanks,
Daaron
>
>

I can say, that the guys shop I did my wrenching in, had a rather unique was to set pinion for the rear.

He mounted a laser pointer in on the Diff side, and pointed it right at the Tcase side, then he lowered it 2 degrees. On the front he just turned it up to the specs given on the 4.5" lift instructions.

I also went ahead and got the rear track bar and bracket, and we perfectly centers the axels.

I feel very lucky, I am having zero issues with my new suspension for sure, I did take a somewhat unique approach. I went with the Short Arm 4.5" kit, sub'd the coils with the 3.5" Kit Coils and used 2" Coil Spacers.

·
Registered
316 Posts
WrathOfRubicon said:
The extra machine work has nothing to do with vibes, it has to do with helping binding at severe flex / articulation. They only mention it when they know the lift is extra high it seems.

I just more or less said what the heck, and got it done to mine.
I sure wish I had known about that. I recently had my rear suspension triangulated and now at full droop the CV joint on my TW shaft maxes out before I run out of droop. Shouldn't be a problem as long as I don't jump my Jeep but I'll be adding a limiting strap to the center just to be safe. With the harmonic ballancer and the adaptor plate the drive shaft is really short. One advantage to swaping to a standard SYE output shaft is a drive shaft that's about 3" longer reducing the severity of the angle on the CV joint.

Brad

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is an advantage of going with the different output.

To make matters even worse, they use that flange adapter, and it makes it even shorter!!!

It does not seem my rear DS is my limiting factor on rear droop, but I do keep an eye on it. The shaft is very short indeed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts