Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today I found out that the Rubicon has a built in Pull Pal! The skid plate is better than the Pull Pal because it will hold better and grab better.
I was going over a pile of 2 foot tall rocks and my tire slipped and the plate landed right between rocks. Two friends showed up wih a full sized truck and a heavy SUV. We hooked up the Warn 8274 to the truck and chained it to the SUV. We all fiquered I'd be out in no time, RIGHT!!!!!!!. My winch with all the brakes locked on the anchor vehicles, pulled them both back 10 feet before we gave up. My friend has been fourbying for years and done all the spots,Rubicon, Moab,ect., and he has never seen a Jeep drag a truck and a SUV, with the skid not popping over the object it was hooked on. After 2 hours, jacking and building up under the wheels it finally pulled out. The skid at no time was more that 2 inches below the top of the rock! Now the question, Medic skid, long arm, or just offer up my Rubi as a fancy Pull Pal. I think I know my next item to focus on.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
If you are going to stay with a short arm suspension I strongly suggest that you go with the Medic Skid....Long arm I would go with Toys By Troy.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know I need to do something because we were all amazed that this skid was holding with such a grip. To look at how much was and wasn't hooked on the rock, it made no sense that it wouldn't budge. The only thing I can think is the edge must be so sharp that it was cutting into the rock. I later went by with my wife and showed her where I was stuck and see what stopped the Rubi and her response was "that is what stopped you?" It really didn't look like much. Anyway Jeep promised we would have a Jeep that was limited production and limited run. It seems that is in doubt now and looks more like there will be for some time to come a delux yearly Jeep offered called the Rubicon. So, if a 2005 is offered I'll forget about trying to keep it as much "Rubicon" as possible and go all out with mods and a long arm set up. But if the last year is 2004, I would think it would be kinda Special years from now to be running around in a mostly stock Rubi and maybe build a killer more disposable trail Jeep. Anyway next year will tell how I approach the skid problem. I'm also thinking maybe a motor\trans skid that attaches to the front of the stock t\c skid that could attach to my final Medic or LA skid.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is this Toys by Troy, It's a new one on me.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Get a Skid Row engine skid. It will protect your engine and cover the front edge of your stock T/C skid so you won't get hung up that way again.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
TBT is a custom shop and I have one of his products and have spoken to him about the Long arm kit. It is freaking amazing and I will be installing one this winter. The kit even comes with a complete exhaust from the header back so that you get the proper fit with the LA's.

Check out his website but I will tell you that not all the info is there. You will need to call and speak with his wife...Very nice service...

http://www.toysbytroy.com

G

·
0 Posts
I agree with Jerry, a SR engine skid would allow you to slide over the second rock with no problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts