Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting vibrations from the angle on my rear driveshaft in my 2005 rubi. I've already installed a transfer case drop, still have to tweek my pinion angle to see if that helps. My question is, I know when you install a SYE on a 231J that you can use the front shaft from a Cherokee to get a cv in the rear of a yj and probably tj. Is there a cv from another vehicle that will work in the rear of a rubicon? just am having a hard time justifying dropping $400 on a driveshaft so I thought I'd try this first.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Why in the world would you use a transfer case drop on a Rubicon that already has a flange and not a slip yoke? It is not necessary.

Remove the drop, get the pinion angle set and your vibs should go away.

·
Premium Member
6,098 Posts
I am getting vibrations from the angle on my rear driveshaft in my 2005 rubi. I've already installed a transfer case drop, still have to tweek my pinion angle to see if that helps. My question is, I know when you install a SYE on a 231J that you can use the front shaft from a Cherokee to get a cv in the rear of a yj and probably tj. Is there a cv from another vehicle that will work in the rear of a rubicon? just am having a hard time justifying dropping $400 on a driveshaft so I thought I'd try this first.

My guess is you have a short wheel base rig, not an LJ. You don't say how much lift you have. Do you have adjustable upper rear axle control arms? I've never heard of a front shaft that will fit the rear. You are pretty much committed to getting a DC shaft and adjustable upper control arms.

Now, if you have no lift I'd guess your shaft is out of balance.

·
3,369 Posts
↑↑↑↑↑↑ What Bob said/& asked...... transfer case drop is rarely nessecary, though some have elected to do a motor mount lift which angles the drive line some to help things... but depending on your answer to Bobs questions, there is no replacement for a double cardan drive shaft. I like tom woods myself.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have an 05 Rubicon with a 4" Currie Lift and NO TC Drop, I do have all around Adj. Control Arms and I don't have any vib's at all. Also I do not have a MML just a 1" BL and 35's

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a driveline vibration at +30 mph after installing a completely adjustable Metalcloak 3.5” lift. I got a new driveline from Adams and problem solved but also added strength to the system. If you lift, do it right. The cost sucks but the end result is worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
771 Posts
What changed to give you vibrations? Did you change the suspension? How much? Is it the original 13 year old xxx,xxx mile driveshaft? If so before you make many changes make sure it is in decent condition. If no suspension changes then u joints or shaft balance... or pinion or...

Transfer case drops are a waste... an embarrassingly low stock transfer case mount becomes even lower negating larger tire/ suspension work... get rid of it and add a motor mount lift first. If you have up to 3 inches spring lift it may be all that's needed.

Centerline of pinion in line with transfer case output? Track bar adjustment.
Adjustable upper control arms would be next on my list, and maybe some longer lowers.

Finally after spending all of my money on the above I would get the DC driveshaft.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
vacajeep: You're right in only REALLY needing control arms that are adjustable on only one end. After all once you adjust them you're good until you make other changes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I'm going to answer a few questions you might have about my set-up. I bought this already lifted last fall and it has fully adjustable upper and lower control arms. It has just under 165,000 on the drive drain and everything appears to be in good shape. when the previous owner had the Jeep lifted they did not readjust the rear pinion angle. So I had a t-case drop laying around from another Jeep, so I installed it to see if that would help my vibrations. It helped a little. After that I tweeked the pinion angle and that help a little but still have vibrations. So now I guess my next step is just to drop some cash on a cv driveshaft for the rear.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Just one suggestion. The TJ and LJ Rubicons are NOT the same, especially when talking about rear driveshaft vibes. It would be useful for a poster to tell us explicitly if they are talking about a short wheelbase TJ or an intermediate wheelbase LJ. That would help us from confusing each other.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
My recommendation. Spend the dollars for a driveshaft and adj rear upper arms. I ran 4" lift with stock driveshaft for several years. No vibes per se. Then installed proper shaft and arms. Was surprised at how much smoother the jeep was.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
On my previous 03 Rubicon I removed the harmonic balancer from the stock transfer case and replaced it with a stock Rubicon front output yoke then had a driveshaft built. If you go that route a stock front Rubicon shaft should fit if you have it shortened.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
How did you line the shafts up? It is different for a regular shaft vs. a cv shaft.
I don’t think I understand your question, I used the stock front output yoke on the rear of the case.
While I did have a driveshaft built I could have used the stock front shaft and have it shortened to fit the rear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts