Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Rubicon out for a test drive on the icy road conditions in Mesquite, Texas. The ice storm hit yesterday and there is about 3-4" of ice on the streets and highways. This is very unusual for the Dallas / Fort Worth area. Mesquite is located on the eastside of Dallas. Just drove around in 4 Hi and the MTR's worked great. :usa
Gadget

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
So far I like the MT/R's in snow and ice too.

We've got some Uniroyal MT's on our XJ and they work real well too.

I like the look of those Rock-Rails, did they mount up without any modification? I was thinking about the TurboCity rocksliders.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are Runck Rock Rails. My wife and I installed them. They bolted on with no problem. Thanks for asking.
Gadget

·
Registered
29 Posts
That is a nice looking Rubi!
Mind sharing the details/availability of the bumper/rails? :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
suspension kit

your rubi has a 3.5 rubicon kit what size spring spacer are you using up front. are those tires 305-75-16 or 285-75 16 mtrs. hows the ride on the old man emu schocks. your rubi looks sharp. I have the same color and also had similiar lift plans.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gadget. I'm going to jump in with Robert here and ask how much lift did you get out of the 3.5 up front. I was going to put in an OME, but I need more height so am leaning towards the RE.

Ron

·
Registered
340 Posts
Gadget said:
Took my Rubicon out for a test drive on the icy road conditions in Mesquite, Texas. The ice storm hit yesterday and there is about 3-4" of ice on the streets and highways. This is very unusual for the Dallas / Fort Worth area. Mesquite is located on the eastside of Dallas. Just drove around in 4 Hi and the MTR's worked great. :usa
Gadget
I have been driving almost full time in 4 Hi for the last two months.....Tons of snow and ice. Jeep works great. I was also impressed with the braking in snow.......After driving only vehicles with ABS for the last 10 years or so I was concerned about the Rubicon with no ABS....With the stock MTRs it stops very good! Don't miss the ABS at all.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vulcan said:
Don't miss the ABS at all.
hi vulcan,
at the risk of offending some, ABS is only necessary for those who were never taught old school driving techniques.

·
Registered
340 Posts
That is old school thinking.....I watched the video from the Michegan State Troopers that road test all the offered vehicles with a police package when ABS first came out. These a guys that are the driving instructors etc for the trooper and have many hours of high speed driving both on closed courses and on public roads. In perfect dry conditions ABS is equal to a Pro driver but if the road is wet or snowy or loose surface material the ABS car was much faster at stopping. The two biggest things I noticed was braking when one side of the car was on pavement and the other side of the car was on the shoulder (gravel)....The ABS cars stopped and the non ABS cars spun out. The best thing that ABS can do for a driver is to still allow them to steer the vehicle under heavy braking or panic braking as once a wheel locks up you lose all steering control. The vehicles used in the test were the same vehicles except some had the ABS turned off.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vulcan said:
That is old school thinking
thats highly possible too. ive just never felt like i needed ABS in order to be a safe driver. i feel better knowing that my wife has it in her jeep, but shes not exactly the best driver in my eyes anyway. :D
as for my jeep, im glad i dont have it. not only do i feel that i dont need it, but it will just be another hassle to maintain and repair 10 years or so down the road when the components start failing (wifey keeps vehicles about 18 months before trading so im not concerned with maintaining her ABS system).
i bought a 10 year old used 4x4 truck (make irrelevant) for the purpose of pulling my tractor around. it did a wonderful job right up until the pressure return valving stuck open and i blew right through an intersection missing a bus of migrants by about 3 feet. maybe im just biased because of one bad occurance with an ABS system but that one bad occurance nearly killed me.

·
Registered
340 Posts
ABS is no excuse for proper driving techniques that's for sure......Most people react very poorly to emergency conditions. Glad you missed the bus.....I have had a few close calls like that as well and they certainly stick with you.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Saw you did a 3.5 RE...did u get a new driveshaft?? How dose it ride?? Driveline vibes?? Just wondering..
Pete

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Without ABS I know have a nice tray to mount extra stuff...... 8)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Somebody needs to lead the pack and move the compressor up there....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts