Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay everyone, we've had the discussions about which lift kit is better than which lift kit, so how about giving me some input on a slightly different variant of this theme. I know there are enough of you running these coils, so I want your opinion on them.

The Setup.
Lift kit to have all the goodies that a Rubicon Express 4.5 Super-flex has. The Jeep already sports a 1" body lift. Owner only intends to run 33's (I'll leave the option open for 35's later), but will eventually install a lifted t-case skid. Long arm is to expensive. AiRock maybe a distant future upgrade.

The Question.
So do you get the 3.5 coils or the 4.5 coils and why?

Ron

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Ron,

i got the 3.5'' coils due to the service manager said he could cover me if i stayed under 4'' lift and kept to 33' tires.

so as soon as the warrenty issues are over with the Rubi.....
on goes the 5.5'' springs and the 35'' tars!
:wink:

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
4x4mac said:
Ron,

i got the 3.5'' coils due to the service manager said he could cover me if i stayed under 4'' lift and kept to 33' tires.

so as soon as the warrenty issues are over with the Rubi.....
on goes the 5.5'' springs and the 35'' tars!
:wink:
And don't forget the 4.88 gears to go with those 35s... :roll:

Jerry

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
PBR Stitch said:
The Setup.
Lift kit to have all the goodies that a Rubicon Express 4.5 Super-flex has.
The Question.
So do you get the 3.5 coils or the 4.5 coils and why?

Ron
Ron:

You answered your own question. Get the 4.5 inch coils. You know you want them big guy.

Jerry

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But do I really need the 4.5 coils, 35's aren't in any near future, read might be able to afford 33's after the kit and DS.

Ron

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Im in the same situation as you as far as choosing a lift. I am going with the RE 4.5 SF and I am going to puke up the extra cash for a Drive shaft......its your choice...pay now or pay later....anyhow..besides with the weight of my front/rear bumper plus a winch I might only get 3.5 in of lift out of the lift if I dont add any spacers.....just more food for thought..
Pete

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
petesjeeprubi said:
Im in the same situation as you as far as choosing a lift. I am going with the RE 4.5 SF and I am going to puke up the extra cash for a Drive shaft......its your choice...pay now or pay later....anyhow..besides with the weight of my front/rear bumper plus a winch I might only get 3.5 in of lift out of the lift if I dont add any spacers.....just more food for thought..
Pete
First off... I have a 70lb front bumper and a 150lbs Warn 8274 with winch plate and my front end only sagged 1/2 inch so you will definately get what you pay for.

Pete and PBR... Here are a few things to think of when ordering your hieght..... Are you going to do a BL. If you are going to do a 1" BL accomidate the Medic Skid then and run 33's then I would suggest the 4.5". I have not done my BL yet with the 4.5 and I am running 33's and I need to BL. I am stuffing my tires into the fenders which is really limiting my flex. :(

If you are not going to do a BL and you have no intentions of skid mods or bigger then 33's and want a good stable low center of gravity vehicle then go with the 3.5". (Please Note that with the 4.5 it is a very stable system, I am just bringing up COG talk again.)

I went to 4.5" and 1.5" BL(this weekend) cause I don't want to have to change springs next year because I am going to a bigger tire. I wanted to get under the JP and do the work once. I have enough friends JP to work on all the time so I have a trail partner that I don't want to have to work on mine.

If I was to suggest anything I would say 4.5" but it is ultimately up to you.

Cheers.

·
Registered
454 Posts
LILRDJP: Did you take off your fenders and check for damage? I did that the other day because I was having serious rub on the fenders (before my body lift) and the fenders were bent up pretty bad. I was able to pound them out straight again but I would suggest taking a peak. Too bad takigne the fenders off is a PITA.

·
Registered
186 Posts
So is this like those questions that start..."I have a friend who has this problem..." :D
Are you thinking of going bigger? I saw the pictures of this weekends ride and your comment , "Need more flex"
Let me know. I definitely owe you some wrenching help.
Stevo

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
triver525 said:
LILRDJP: Did you take off your fenders and check for damage? I did that the other day because I was having serious rub on the fenders (before my body lift) and the fenders were bent up pretty bad. I was able to pound them out straight again but I would suggest taking a peak. Too bad takigne the fenders off is a PITA.

I came out with no damage. I was going slow up the RTI and had a buddy spotting my clearence. It was a tree that got me.. :(

·
Registered
186 Posts
So is this like those questions that start..."I have a friend who has this problem..." :D
Are you thinking of going bigger? I saw the pictures of this weekends ride and your comment , "Need more flex"
Stevo

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Stevo said:
Stevo

Is this for me to answer?

·
Registered
186 Posts
LILRDJP said:
Stevo said:
Stevo

Is this for me to answer?
Sorry, I tried to post right after Ron but I kept getting an error message. It was meant for Ron, however, I might be persuaded to come up to Canada. It is getting pretty hot and humid down here.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Yup, it's damned cold up here right now. I hate getting out of bed in the morning because I know that I am going to have to leave my nice warm igloo to go to work. :D :p

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is the way it stands at the moment.

3.5 springs with 1 1/4" BL and MML, skid would be medic

4.5 springs BL and MML removed, skid would be nth Degree.

3.5 pro, COG a little lower, wouldn't be looking for someone to buy BL and MML, Medics skid is a lot cheaper. MML may allow me to drive it until I get my new shaft.
3.5 con, skid 1" lower to the ground.

4.5 pro, stock skid 1" higher off the ground.
4.5 con, Higher COG, need to sell BL and MML, cost of skid, probably won't be able to drive it until i get my new shaft.

I know that you get about 4 1/4" of lift out of the 3.5's without all the heavy weight. Mac is going to weight down his front bumper and give me some measurements. 33's will be the running tires for now, so 3.5 + 1.25/ or 4.5 is about the same amount of lift. I like to keep my COG low, and the flex will be the same, just ride height, and breakover will be the 2 biggest differences. Approach and departure aren't that big of a factor. If I decide to go to bigger tires in the future, it will probably be with the addition of an AiRock kit.

Stevo - Yep my friend has this problem :lol: Actually my issue with the OME kit is the front springs aren't handling the winch very well, so since I am not going to sacrifice the winch and still haven't added a heavier bumper, I need more lift.

Ron

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
triver525 said:
Yup, it's damned cold up here right now. I hate getting out of bed in the morning because I know that I am going to have to leave my nice warm igloo to go to work. :D :p

HAHAHAHAHAHA...........My fear of getting out of bed is having to dodge the flying hockey pucks trying to get to my JP. :wink:

·
Registered
186 Posts
PBR Stitch said:
Stevo - Yep my friend has this problem :lol: Actually my issue with the OME kit is the front springs aren't handling the winch very well, so since I am not going to sacrifice the winch and still haven't added a heavier bumper, I need more lift.

Ron
Anyone else with a winch and OME springs having problems? I was starting to save up in a "Warn Winch Fund".

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Reasons behind OME to RE switch

I know I won't get flamed on here for dropping an OME kit, like I would on JU and some of the other boards. So I will explain my issues with the front OME springs. First I will say I really like this kit, the flex and street ride is outstanding, I was able to follow all the built bigger rigs on the last trail I ran. Most of the time at idle, and with comments like "Now that was text book!", and "Nice Flex, you got a lift?" I would still recommend this to anyone building a rig to be more of a daily drive and the occasional weekend wheeler. It will handle 33's with a bodylift, barely. Disco'd and at full stuff I had only 1/2" of clearance on my 31's before I would have hit the fender well, now this is not accounting for anytime that you would actually bounce the front end on the stops. There were a couple of spots on the fender where I thought it had hit, but nothing that I could say yes it hit right there. Now since the winch and QD's were on the stock suspension and now the OME, I can actually evaluate the difference. I also wheeled some of the same trails, so know the querks. The stock suspension was solid when you came down from lifting a tire, no jar but firm it definately let you know that it was working, while the OME springs seemed to POGO. I would swear by the Jar and the fact that the spring pads were clean the couple of times I checked that the suspension would compress all the way and bounce off of the stops. I did not get the metallic thud as if the springs were bottoming out. I'm not gunning it through these sections, just slow and easy, let the suspension work.

My Issues:
Not enough clearance with the winch installed (I've pulled the winch off and get between 1/2 to 3/4" difference) I've tried some smaller weights of about 50 to 70lbs and barely get any movement. The winch and mount plate weigh 115Lbs (I've shipped it so I know, weight before crating). I don't know if I have reached some magic number with the springs that they suddenly trip at.

Pogo action of the front springs. Now I haven't wheeled it without the winch on, so can't really say if this is a normal spring characteristic, or if this is a winch issue due to weight acceleration.

Thinking towards RE kit:
1. I have been looking for a little more flex, not so much because I need it, but because I am binding the control arms, I know they can handle this, but I wanted a little more clearance. So I was thinking of adding the RE LCA's front and rear.

2. Rear adjustable UCA's for the skids that are out there. I already know that I will need to rotate the rear pinion a little when I do this. I was originally looking at the JKS arms (real nice with good adj), but figured I am already looking at the RE LCA's why not just do UCA's. Okay I saw the price also.

3. Front adj. Trackbar so that I could recenter my front axle. Tera makes a nice one, and so do a few others. I figured save on shipping get the RE.

4. Wanted a little more spring height to make certain that I don't tear up my fenders with the 33's. I could add back the factory spacer to handle more load, but the more spacers the better chance I have of compressing the spring all the way and damaging it. I have never seen this happen on a Jeep, but have done it at work with shock isolators for some big pieces of equipement so I know it can be done. Or I could go with a larger spring height.

5. Shocks. Work very well with the springs, but I feel that they could be slightly longer (about 2 inches), but then you run into a compression problem. I know that the OME LT's have enough extension to actually unseat the 3.5 springs when disco'd. I would believe that you can also do this with the 4.5's since it is a sizeable drop.

6. I am a perfectionist, so if things are not to my liking or don't perform at 100%, I am not happy. I will tune and tinker and adjust until it is, or I will go a different route. I think that I am headed that way with this.

I road a 2002 with this kit and it performed beautiful, I loved it, that is why I put it on mine. It did not exhibit any of the issues I have on this one. The Rubi's are different and it may be those differences that I am seeing. My recommendation would be to increase the spring rate on the front end or increase the pressure of the shock. I know increasing the pressure on the shock is the cheap way to go, so I personnally think that maybe a 180lb spring rate for the fronts might be a way to go to really handle the winch. My gas charged front shocks measured 70lbs of force required to keep them closed, with 90lbs to actually start the compression (75 would compress them). Now my testing was unscientific. I.e. hold shock straight up, hang weight off of upper eye until it compressed, remove wieght until it started to rise. I think DCX said that they were 90lb shocks.

Ron (Sorry it was a little long)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Stitch: What springs did you get? I got the heavy load springs f/r and I get no pogo-ing whatsoever. I have never wheeled with the stock suspension so I wouldn't know what you are meaning about the stock being a little firmer. I also don't have a winch up front.

Have you talked to OME about this? If it is THAT noticeable of a problem maybe you got some bad springs or they mixed up the HD with the LD springs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts