Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've got my Rubi for a week now with 1k miles on it already. I would like to take good care of this car and have few questions.

1) When should I change the first break in oil. My old mechanic tells me I should change it sooner than what the manual says. Do you agree? Perhaps change it a 1500 miles fir the first one?

2) power. I come from a 4-banger and this jp has lots more power than I've ever had under the hood. BUT, this weekend I drove a friends 02 sport, and found that it had more power than mine. It had more pick up on 2nd and 3rd gear. Not sure what type of gears he has, but he does not have the Dana44. He has the 30inch wheel though. His jp is stock. Could this be bacause his jp is broken in? Maybe because I have bigger tires? Or could it be the power lag I've read in another post. I seem to have this mild lag at times when shifting. I find my self shiting at 3k rpms usually. Also Notice I don't have a distributor. Maybe I have the fuel sync problem? The power difference between the 2 jp's were significant, and now I feel as if mine is busted! Also while driving it feels like the jeep chokes and stuters at times.

3) anyone know where I could get dyno test in New Jersey?

Other wise I ove this jeep. Just waiting for a nice day in NJ so I could take the top down. Seems like its been raining every day since I've had this Rubi.

thanks

·
Registered
454 Posts
I don't think your Jeep has less power. It is just the gearing/tire combination. Because the MTR's are so heavy they will rob you of some of your rear wheel horsepower. Inertia's a bitch sometimes.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I think the new emissions are holding the power back. There is a 2 second difference in the quarter mile between 02 and 03 models.

Like Triver said also the weight of the tires don't help either.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll race a sportscar with my Rubi. As long as I get to pick the 1st 100 feet. :D It has been noted that the Rubi's are a real dog on the acceleration curve. Our tires weight about 10-15lbs more than the 02's, so this accounts for some of it. Also with our gearing being lower hurts us on the take off.

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
re

2 secs in a quarter mile sounds like alot. Not that I'm drag racing my Jeep, but that sucks!. Well, I rather have the meats than the speeds.
When you say the MTR's are heavy, is that bacause of the size or the design? I niticed they are louder than the 30" BFG A/T I had on my old YJ. Anyway to do away with this emission hold back without consequences? Maybe I'll try the TB "snake oil" Spacer I have some where in my garage.

thanks

·
Registered
454 Posts
Firstly, I wouldn't bother with the spacer. I put one on and noticed absolutely no difference. Secondly, the MTRs are a 10 ply tire. Your old BFGs were a 3-ply tire. I have also heard that the rims are heavier too. That is an unconfirmed rumour.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Re: re

troubled_wine said:
2 secs in a quarter mile sounds like alot. Not that I'm drag racing my Jeep, but that sucks!. Well, I rather have the meats than the speeds.
When you say the MTR's are heavy, is that bacause of the size or the design? I niticed they are louder than the 30" BFG A/T I had on my old YJ. Anyway to do away with this emission hold back without consequences? Maybe I'll try the TB "snake oil" Spacer I have some where in my garage.

thanks
I agree.. I have built a machine that goes .5 mph and climbs over big rocks... Not a Honda that can premier in Fast and the Furious.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
1) When should I change the first break in oil. My old mechanic tells me I should change it sooner than what the manual says. Do you agree? Perhaps change it a 1500 miles fir the first one?

I think the manuel says 3000 miles....do what the manuel says unless you dont drive the vehicle that much..ie...I got my JP in Oct of 02, didnt get to drive it untill december when I got home from deployment, and didnt do my 1st oil change till march...i had close to 2500 mi on my jp but figured it was time.....anyhow..then again my buddy has a 97 TJ and he swears up and down that u only need to change every 6000 miles..he says the oil companies are out to get us...anyhow his jeep has 100000 + miles on it with no problems ...go figure.....my overall suggestion....3months...3000 miles with reg oil.
PEte

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
i had my oil changed at 1Kmiles..
second time was at 3 K ..
will do every 3K therafter..
tranny and diffs i will do at 5 K intervals...
cheap to change fluids...
expensive for repairs was sumthing i learned long ago.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With the drain plugs on the diffs it will take all of 10 minutes now to do. I would take off the cover and really clean it out the first time though.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PBR Stitch said:
I'll race a sportscar with my Rubi. As long as I get to pick the 1st 100 feet. :D It has been noted that the Rubi's are a real dog on the acceleration curve. Our tires weight about 10-15lbs more than the 02's, so this accounts for some of it. Also with our gearing being lower hurts us on the take off.

Ron
All the more reason for a supercharger. The Avenger takes the stock 190HP to a whopping 295HP :shock: .

It's an ego thing and I think you understand :lol:

·
Registered
43 Posts
the motor in the rubi seems to me, far from efficient, and definately not powerful. i fear long hill climbs in the loose stuff. torque is great though. i read somewhere that 80% of torque is avail at idle. ill take that.

be thankful you have the 5-spd. the automatic needs a full manual valve body, and will probably get one eventually, giving me P-R-N-1-2-3, because it is not at all setup correctly for driving up any hills. in my opinion.

here is another choice for blowers. they are locals here, and when i talked to them, they said that the exhaust restrictions were the biggest factor in (non)performance.

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/reviews/fa ... gineering/

im not sure the motor is designed for a grenade session though.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

LILRDJP said:
I agree.. I have built a machine that goes .5 mph and climbs over big rocks... Not a Honda that can premier in Fast and the Furious.
Hmm.. I am seeing a lowered Rubi, big blower sticking out of the hood, some ground effects, chop top, digital dash, with lots of buttons, 2 big NOS bottles in the back. :bluehair: :bluehair:

Ron

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

PBR Stitch said:
LILRDJP said:
Hmm.. I am seeing a lowered Rubi, big blower sticking out of the hood, some ground effects, chop top, digital dash, with lots of buttons, 2 big NOS bottles in the back. :bluehair: :bluehair:

Ron
Ron.. That was a sin to even try and picture that....... :shock:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
re

Hmm.. I am seeing a lowered Rubi, big blower sticking out of the hood, some ground effects, chop top, digital dash, with lots of buttons, 2 big NOS bottles in the back.

Ron
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, you took the words right out of my mouth. That was gonna be my next question. where can I get NOS bottles!, nah just kidding. :D

But, does anyone know where I could get a dyno done? just for a piece of mind. I'm just curious I guess. Also, anyone else find the 5speed to be a bit clunky? its a bit hard to get the gears between 1 - 3. I feel a bit of grinding there also. Maybe this is normal since its a HEAVY DUTY.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

troubled_wine said:
Hmm.. I am seeing a lowered Rubi, big blower sticking out of the hood, some ground effects, chop top, digital dash, with lots of buttons, 2 big NOS bottles in the back.

Ron
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, you took the words right out of my mouth. That was gonna be my next question. where can I get NOS bottles!, nah just kidding. :D

But, does anyone know where I could get a dyno done? just for a piece of mind. I'm just curious I guess. Also, anyone else find the 5speed to be a bit clunky? its a bit hard to get the gears between 1 - 3. I feel a bit of grinding there also. Maybe this is normal since its a HEAVY DUTY.
That is normal. Mine is going into second. Like you said it is heavy duty. Essentially the NV 3500 is a NV 4500 just in a more compact package and a little different gear ratios. The NV 4500 is a work tranny and not a comfort creature.

That is why you find things like Hormonic balancers on T-Cases.. To make it smoother and more appealing to the consumer.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you want a supercharger, go with a postive displacement instead of a centrifugal. A centrifugal builds boost linear with RPM so you don't hit maximum boost until max RPM. The other builds max boost at low rpm, as soon as you go wide open throttle, because you are compressing the air inside the supercharger itself.

Check it out.

http://www.avengersuperchargers.com/Rubicon.htm

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hey Jersey

That trans sounds just perfect, you're supposed to feel the parts moving. You'll get to appreciate it as time goes on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts