Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be ordering a new 04 Rubi soon. It will be a daily driver. Question is, if I go on several road trips from South Florida to the North Carolina Tennessee border, how will the Rubi perform mechanically for the long haul? Is this a vechicle I want to take long trips in? I am not concerned with the comfort aspect. Strictly the mechanical ability of frequent long trips. 8) 8)

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
I travel to SW PA from CT about every six months. OTHER than the ride sucks for a 10 hour drive... mechanically it has been just fine. You won't have any issues as long as your follow a proper maintenance schedule. Just my opinion since I drive a long haul now and again too.

Justin

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
3 round trips so far to ca. air up the tires....and GO!!!!!!!
i enjoy every mile...thing is i see so much open land.
the hard part is not making the trip an offroad trip!
:wink:

·
Registered
740 Posts
4x4mac said:
3 round trips so far to ca. air up the tires
Wow! I've heard a lot about the air in Southern California....but usually its to get away from it! ....and just to air up your tires?????

I'll bottle some up for ya and ship it out if you'd like!

:roll:

I'll trade ya for some cheap electricity and water! :D

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Ned said:
4x4mac said:
3 round trips so far to ca. air up the tires
Wow! I've heard a lot about the air in Southern California....but usually its to get away from it! ....and just to air up your tires?????

I'll bottle some up for ya and ship it out if you'd like!
:roll:

I'll trade ya for some cheap electricity and water! :D
ha ha ha.....the smog makes for better gas mileage...shhhhhhhhhhh!
i air up due to the long highway speeds..
to go see family in Newport B. for the gas mileage.
we do have cheaper elec rates..and water is expensive.
:wink:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Id drive/wheel cross country if I could get off work for a month

Ive done a few road trips as long as ten hours, the first one was over new years from poconos to hamtpon,VA in the worst weather you could imagine, freezing rain/snow for 5 hours, she was a little tempermental with only a few hundred miles on her at that point, the suspension broke in nicely after about the 2000 mark and settled down

mechanically - its a new car you should be able to drive without concern

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm planning a road trip to So. Cal. (I have to rotate the air in my tires :lol: )

I'll let you know how it goes. Quite frankly, I'm looking forward to it. Of course, parts are waiting! So I'm ready to go. But then, I like driving the Jeep.

·
Registered
147 Posts
CCraig, good point about rotating the air in the tires, maybe i should bring it up to DC for future scheduled maint. :roll: lol i wonder how many people would actually go for that.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've driven several 500+ mile trips and the Rubicon is A+ for performance and comfort.
I keep my tires air at 33 psi cold, as Jeep recommends, except off-road, when I go down to 15 psi.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Hey congrats on ordering a Rubi...dont know if you have ever driven a jeep before but you gotta remember.....its not a car and sure as heck dosnt ride like one...so dont expect a car like ride..especially if you are deciding to use it for long hauls..and also remember....there is no room for lots of luggage....AND the gass milage sucks...but if you can handle that your good to go....besides that its great!!!!lol
Pete

·
Registered
843 Posts
I was concerned too

But after driving my 2003 everyday and at least two 500+ mile trips a month I couldn't be happier. Love it and I'm sure you will to.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've driven my rig all over SoCal and the ride is fine (but keep in mind that I've driven jeeps and trucks for the last 14 years so my kidneys are probably hard as rocks :lol: ). As this is the first year for the Rubi and there have been some mechanical issues reported, I don't know if I'd take a long road trip right off the bat but after you get to know it you can go pretty much anywhere. Also, the top down experience is both amazingly fun and annoying depending on where you're going.

Anyone coming to SoCal for a trail ride let me know!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I guess I will post here on this real quick seeing as I just finished putting 2000 miles on the JP... It for me is awesome. I find the ride fine and it is very comfortable to sit in for several hours at a time. My bladder is alot weaker then my back so I don't get stiff on the long hauls. I have been all over good portions of Ontario, Quebec, NY and PA in my rubi and I love it and would not want to take anything else for the ride.

JMO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts