Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve left this account dormant for a while. I sold my Black LJR a few years back to buy a 65 VW bus. My dad had a lot of VW’s when I was a kid in the early to mid 2000’s so I jumped at the opportunity to buy one when I was offered it. I enjoyed it for a while, but I was limited as to where I could go with it due to it being low. It looked sick though. So it sat and never moved unless I wanted to drive it which was rare. I decided to sell it not too long ago and figured I’d hop back into another Jeep. A dude who works for SpaceX bought it. I thought that was pretty cool.

Wheel Tire Volkswagen type 2 Vehicle Sky

I found an optioned out JKU Hard Rock in Rhino Clear coat. It was beautiful. I bought a four door so I could bring my parents, dog, or friends along whenever I went out for a drive. I enjoyed it for a while going down country roads and taking it on a few camping trips. But, I was too nervous to drive it in fear of it getting damaged. It was the nicest car I’d ever bought. I didn’t like that feeling so I sold it to a dealer and made some money off of it thanks to sky rocketing used car prices. :)

Automotive parking light Wheel Sky Tire Car

A few weeks had went by after I sold the JKU and I randomly decided to log back onto this forum and I found my next Jeep. It shouldn’t need an introduction.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle

It’s already pretty well dialed in so changes will be minimal.

I had a lot of maintenance issues to take care of. I changed all of the fluids. I was a little disappointed with how things were differed for so long. But, now she’s up to date with fresh fluids.

Rubi had a horrific squeal at start up. The alternator bearings were shot. I replaced it with a Denso Reman. The supercharger idlers and the belt tensioner bearings were also shot. I replaced those as well. Threw a new belt on also. Squealing issue was fixed.

The next thing I decided to do was swap the front bumper out. I liked the Savvy one, but I wanted to update Rubi’s appearance. When I was removing the front bumper I noticed one of the hydraulic lines on the old winch looked like it was about to pop. It had been rubbing for quite some time on where the grill was hacked up to run hydraulic lines to the winch and was cutting into the steel braiding. Lame. I decided to just remove the winch rather than fix it. I know some may not agree with this decision.

I chose a GenRight Aluminum front bumper. I think it fits Rubi perfect. I installed my Warn Zeon 10S from the previous Jeep and threw a Genright fairlead light mount on as well. I had to modify the winch plate to accept the winch.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

I’ve got a Rigid light bar to put on that I’ve not had the chance to install yet. It’s needed for my early AM commute to work whenever I choose to drive her. I ordered JW Speaker headlights for her. They’ll be shipping out late December unfortunately. The new rear bumper is scheduled for December so far also. She’ll be eyeless and have no rear bumper for a short period of time.

Currently I’ve been searching for a replacement hood, grill, and cowl. I guess whatever I can find will more than likely have to be repainted to match Rubi.

I had a chance to get some more seat time on my parents property today. It was one hell of a good time. I did not expect her to power slide so easily. I’ll have to shoot a video and post it the next chance I get to drive her.

More to come.

·
Administrator
11,473 Posts
Yippee!! Thanks Matt for the update on Rubi, she looks fabulous! I've been wondering how you were doing with it.

It definitely needed TLC. The alternator never squealed for me - that must have been new owner's luck of the draw. Had to hack the grill for the hydraulic lines to the MileMarker winch, not pretty but functional.

·
3,759 Posts
Glad to see an update and that the jeep is being used. Its been all over on many beautiful trails across the nation!

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,477 Posts
That's awesome.
Gotta remember, these actually wheeled old girls, will need some work because they were used as they were supposed to be. It's not negligence, it's love.

I was thinking about that front bumper as well, but I had a similar setup on my last jeep and want to keep my current one unique and not rebuild what I had.

Keep up the updates and Welcome Back.

·
2,047 Posts
Glad my wife doesn’t remind me of my needed maintenance after 40 years. Memories come with a worthy price.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not an update just a BE AWARE post. I received an email from 4WP stating my JW Speaker headlights shipped direct from JW Speaker. I was surprised since I was told they’d be shipping around December when I ordered them. I was stoked. I got them yesterday and opened the box to find the headlights stamped with Quadratecs brand. I know JW Speaker makes Quadratecs headlights for them but 4WP is a competitor that is not going to sell Quadratecs products. I was a bit peeved that JW Speaker tried to pull a fast one on me. I’m sure they have plenty of Quadratecs stamped lights laying around and just to fill orders they’re throwing those in their box and not expecting the end user to notice. I’ve attached a few pics. I would’ve kept them, but I’d be losing $150 and 2 years of warranty being Quadratecs brand. I paid extra for the JW Speaker brand and warranty.

I contacted 4WP about this issue and they immediately sent me a return shipping label to send them back for another set. The customer service rep said she’d create as many return labels until I received the correct product. 4WP is awesome!

Hopefully this was just an anomaly and I was the recipient of this experience but I’m doubtful. We’ll see.

Input device Peripheral Gadget Electronic instrument Audio equipment

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,477 Posts
I believe the ring is blackened on the quadratec ones but not on the JW ones. Since my wife works for Q-Tec, I have the Q-Tec ones, except I got the heated ones because we get winter up here. I also got a smoking discount. Who says sleeping with a business contact is a bad thing.
:love:

Grille Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

Automotive tire Hood Grille Light Motor vehicle

What's odd, is I can't find a Q-Tec logo on my lights and in your picture, I don't think it would be hidden by the mounting hardware.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe the ring is blackened on the quadratec ones but not on the JW ones. Since my wife works for Q-Tec, I have the Q-Tec ones, except I got the heated ones because we get winter up here. I also got a smoking discount. Who says sleeping with a business contact is a bad thing.
:love:

View attachment 76272

View attachment 76273

What's odd, is I can't find a Q-Tec logo on my lights and in your picture, I don't think it would be hidden by the mounting hardware.
It’s at the bottom of the headlight on the second picture. Just below the projector. I’d go broke taking advantage of the discounts if my gf worked there. 🤣

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,477 Posts
I meant, I don't see the Q-tec logo on my lights. I clearly saw it on yours. I went out to my garage to look and I think the heated ones don't have it.
They are awesome lights for sure. I am real curious to see how mine do in the winter with snow and ice.

As far as my checking account, Since July, the majority of my bills have been from there.
:cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts