Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought it in, was told rotors were warped and front tires worn irregularly. Tires replaced by Goodyear as defective, rotors turned, Jeep still has rubbing/grinding noise and drifts slowly to the left. Wheels are balanced, alignment is correct, dealer tells me the rubbing noise is normal..... HATE DEALERS... any help or possible suggestions to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it was expected, but I had to laugh since we both heard the grinding noise on the test drive, but now all of a sudden, its normal to have a grinding noise, oh, and tires wearing in the middle with no reason.... at least I got a set of new tires out of their incompetance so far..

G

·
0 Posts
i would pull the front axels, and check out the components, make sure there is no bearing wear

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the dealership tigtened the lugs too tight when they rotated and balanced the tires at 3000 miles, and that caused the rotors to warp, would that also cause the driveshaft bearings to wear?? I think that is what has happended since the tires were worn irregular and the rotors were warped, although the tires were scalloped in the middle, which would sugges they were not balanced correctly....

Still stooped..

·
Registered
521 Posts
I would suspect the same as mentioned above "bearings" or axles shaft u-joints, I would take it to a different dealer and ask them to check for those things

·
Registered
706 Posts
Not sure what your idea of a grinding sound is. Twice I have had to take my left front apart and dig small rocks out from between the backing plate and rotor. Can't think of anything beyond the wheel bearings that might cause that type of noise. I've had vehicles pull to one side or the other because the brake caliper was sticking which could also cause a soft grinding noise because one brake pad is applying pressure.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How hard is it to get at the wheel bearings?? I put together a list of things for the dealer to look at they have not done any of them, check for bent axle shaft, bearings, etc. They say they dont have enough cause to go in to pull those things apart. I have not gone in to talk to them about that statement since it was from the "advisor", but it is frustrating to have to keep dropping it off. So my question is, is it that intrusive for them to pull the wheel apart to check the bearings.

Thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
Check the u-joints too. I've heard a lot of people have had problems with the front axle u-joints.

G

·
0 Posts
It takes about 20 min. to pull a side, its not that hard.
i just had a frozen caliber, did not make any grinding noise. the olny time i hear a grinding noise on the breaks is when i am metal on metal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I guess its more of a rubbing noise. Its more faint at first start, but as the car warms up/ a few miles driven it becomes more apparent. It is not the caliper, so I am leaning more towards the wheel bearings?? I am waiting for the Chrysler rep to come into town and drive with me since the dealer cant figure it out, although I know that they have not looked at any of the areas I recommended. ... a...holes :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fellow Rubi sent me a PDF / internet link of the factory service manual, and it reads as if this rubbing/grinding is a wheel bearing problem. Any idea if bad wheel bearings in the right hub would cause the jeep to drift to the left as it does and has done for quite a while. Also, the rubbing noise is very low at first, then becomes louder as the jeep is driven for several miles/warms up.

G

·
0 Posts
that can cause wheel drag, as well as a frozen caliper too. which could also explain the noise. pull off the wheel, and the caliper, take a c clap and see if you can push in the piston on the caliber. if it goes in then it is the wheel bearing, if you can not push it in it is the caliper. i just had a rear claiper freeze up on me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. I told them to do that at the dealer but obviously they did not do anything but put it up on the lift. I assume the dealer would have the C clap device?

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
check your dust cover.. maybe it's bent a little and hitting the rotor.. just happened to my buddy this past weekend..

·
Registered
521 Posts
volavet said:
Thanks. I told them to do that at the dealer but obviously they did not do anything but put it up on the lift. I assume the dealer would have the C clap device?
:rotflmao: I think that was a typo, I think he was meaning to type "C Clamp", its just a regular 'ol clamp to push the piston ack into the caliper, you can also borrow the device for doing this at places like auto zone, there is a tool for pushing the piston back into the caliper. And yes the dealership should have this tool and should have checked the caliper, wheel bearings, etc. to make sure they were in good condition, I would take it to a different dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brought it in, was told rotors were warped and front tires worn irregularly. Tires replaced by Goodyear as defective, rotors turned, Jeep still has rubbing/grinding noise and drifts slowly to the left. Wheels are balanced, alignment is correct, dealer tells me the rubbing noise is normal..... HATE DEALERS... any help or possible suggestions to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
What was your fix? I am having the same issue

1 - 20 of 23 Posts