Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new khaki Rubi w/black hard top today and noticed that it revs and feels very different from the TJ Sport that I test drove a few months back (I never test drove a Rubi, just knew I wanted one). I suspect that it's due to the axle gearing. My question is this: when driving it around the city what rev range do you keep it in and what gear? It feels as though I'm revving it too much when I approach 3000-4000 rpms. I've never owned an inline 6 so the way this rig hums confuses me.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I shift at 2000 rpm most of the time. I hit fith gear at around 80km/hr. This is with a stock set up. I would imagine that I will not see fith until closer to 100km/hr with 33's.

Remember it is an inline 6 not a high reving 4 banger.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes!

Thanks LILRDJP. I started shifting earlier and it feels much better. I'm so use to high revving engines that this is a whole new experience to me but I'm liking it!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I found, even with my old TJ Sport that it seemed happiest when you shifted before the RPMs hit 2000. I always shifted as early as possible without lugging the engine. The wierdest thing is trying to drive that way in a normal vehicle. I drove my friend's Geo Metro and stalled it like 8 times.

I also find that the earlier you shift (on a regular basis), the better gas mileage you get.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts