Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to at least run the stock tires until they wear down. I had a 2002 TJ that I built too fast and ended up rolling/totaling. I've done a lot of work to my new Rubicon and sit 1.5'' higher that stock. I'm concentrating on skids, recovery and offroad mods that will grow with the Jeep. That will work for now but an OME lift, 1'' body lift and 285/75/16 Trxus (32.7x11.2) are in my future.

My question is how are the stock gears with 33'' tires? I've seen a lot of posts about the offroad performance but no one is commenting about drivability on the road. I put a fair amount of miles on my Rubi and don't want to sacrifice the performance too much.

·
Registered
384 Posts
tj_steve, I've been running 33 for about 3 months now and don't have any problems with drivability on the road or off. I find myself driving 80 without a problem, maybe the occasional slow down up a steep hill, but its better than my 94 yj with stock 4 banger and 215 tires up a hill.

hope that helps :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Medic3720.

Can anyone comment on this setup with an automatic?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
check out http://www.drivetraindirect.com for a gear calculator and chart. 4:10's seem to be the recomened gear for good off-road and on road performance.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
no problems running 305/70R/16`s

installed a terra flex 1'' BL and still deciding on real lift.. will either go with a RE long arm 3.5'' or the terra flex 3.5''

mac :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just changed to the 285/75 -16 MTR's and have found that it make in city driving better, as first gear is a bit more useable. The speedo now reads 1.2 mph slow at 60 where with the 245's it was reading 3 mph faster than actual. I took the actual from my GPS.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sorry to add experience that differs but maybe it's my tires. I have ProComps Xterrains 305/75/16 which measure 32.6 " high by a huge 12.6" wide on the stock rims. I noticed a pretty large difference in gearing. I have a 5sp and drive 84 in CT to work. Hills I was taking 5th in with the stock MTRs with no problem I now have to down shift. On the plus side it's made local roads easier in that the shift points seems to better favor that mode. Some I did notice a pretty bif difference. BTW, my setup also includes the RE 3.5 superflex kit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts