Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sold my 4 wheeler and am buying the merc GT. I am currently sitting on 33's, anyone know how much it weigh's?
Will I need anything to level out the front end?
I am buying a winch as well. Either a superwinch 9.0s or a Warn Xd 9000i from Northridge.
Other than price, which saving a couple hundred bucks is very appealing.
What would you all recommend between the two or maybe another winch that is better in that price range?

:D :D :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im torn between the regular Merc and the Merc GT. Someone sway me either way....Pro's and Con's.

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
I've had both the regular merc and the merc gt. If you want to know weight, check your tracking info and it should tell you how much it weights to ship. It ships unboxed, so the weight should be accurate.

I upgraded to the GT so that, if I roll, I can drive home. The GT will protect your radiator and engine. That hoop is for protection. I'm rebuilding my jeep to be more bulletproof.

I like the low profile of the regular merc too, however. I think its very clean. And for looks, I prefer the regular more.

Your next question is whether to put light tabs on the winch guard hoop. I did on both. Great location for aux lights.

Edit: I should add I don't have a true Merc GT... it's a modified GT. It resembles the bumper on Rokmen's Freak but I changed the winch guard hoop size... I call it the Fledge-Freak bumper. :)

·
Jeepless in PA
12,587 Posts
kidmugg said:
On winches, both are good. Superwinch is cheaper on Amazon.
You might be able to find free shipping from Amazon and their credit card gives you 3% back.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good info. I saw the superwinch on amazon for $698 with free shipping. I would rather send the money to northridge but a couple hundred could be spent on something else for my Jeep!!! :D

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
I like the GT as well. I gained height when I put mine on, but I had a huge bumper on before it.

On winches, you can always send Dave at NR a message about price. Thinking he might be able to work something out.

I recommend the 9.0 RC, but that's just me. Lighter.

·
Premium Member
3,769 Posts
I have the Merc FC and love it. The qualitiy of all of their builds is excellent so you'll be happy either way you go. Just don't put too much thought process into it.

As for the bumper, I purchased the Superwich Epi9.0 from amazon for $540 shipped about 3 weeks ago. Now it's lower at $524 shipped. I went with this one because I wanted Viking Line for the winch. I was also lucky enough that shortly after I purchased the winch, Rokmen came back out with their aluminum fairlead(which is still for sale in the vendor section) so now I have an extra Rokmen item on the front of the Jeep. :D I paid more than the EPI9.0s going this route, but It's how I wanted it set up. I was able to choose the color of the line and added a safety thimble instead of a hook.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have the GT and love it, excellent bumper, great protection.
Depending on what springs you are running, you can expect the front to sag at least an inch with a bump like the GT and a winch.
If you have stiff springs just add a small coil spacer to level it out, if your springs are soft, you may want to get stiffer ones so they handle the weight better during bumps.

~John

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the Curry anti-rock with my new bumper. I believe it will be here first. Can I go ahead and mount the currie or do I need to wait on the bumper for the install?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got it mounted. Have to post a pic or two to see if you guys think it looks ok. I had to cut a considerable abount off the rods. I only have the 2"BB.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had to cut a good bit off the rods when I installed mine as well. Of course having nothing to cut with at the time I had to go by something. always something to spend money on. Do get your alignment checked though after you do the install. I went thru my front tires pretty quick.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts