Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have any experience with this roll cage? may have missed any posting but haven't found anyone as yet that has indulged in this cage. Looks promising. Comments anyone? Rockhard4x4.com

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think that system looks pretty good but I don't understand why it is so expensive. Probably because of all the machining for the joints. I think I would go with a cheaper TxT or OR Fab simply because of the price and simplicity.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rockhard Roll Cage

Sorry guys on the link - it is rockhard4x4parts.com

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rockhard Roll Cage

I thought the cage looked pretty tuff, just did not know how it compared price wise to others. I really liked the simplicity of it and the "add what you need" components. I think i will probably add before I do my lift and tires (of course after the engine pan, winch and bumper). I owe-I owe, its off to work i go! :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
That looks like a BEEFY cage..

I just don't know about bolt together cages. I think that for the most part a quality fabbed cage would run about the same cost and be a hell of a lot stronger. I'm saving my dough for a real weld in system. I have a shop locally and I'm sure most areas have good fabricators as well - it's just a matter of asking around and checking out the shop's work.

·
Registered
843 Posts
The cage.

I just took delivery of this cage. It is very well made and looks easy enough to install. I went for the frame tie in aswell. I cleaned it up this evening and plan on installing it this weekend provided the rain holds off. I'll post some pictures and let you know the outcome. All in all I'm pleased and the entire cage with cross braces and rear bar options was only 800. The cheapest trust worthy place with expierence in the area want 1700 and two weeks. I figure this was a bargin. P

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Re: The cage.

PJ said:
I just took delivery of this cage. It is very well made and looks easy enough to install. I went for the frame tie in aswell. I cleaned it up this evening and plan on installing it this weekend provided the rain holds off. I'll post some pictures and let you know the outcome. All in all I'm pleased and the entire cage with cross braces and rear bar options was only 800. The cheapest trust worthy place with expierence in the area want 1700 and two weeks. I figure this was a bargin. P
I paid $800 for my custom cage. That is the only reason why I didn't go with the RockHard cage

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Psssssssssssssst
Hey Over here
No your other right
What's that inside the elff's rig

Rockhard Roll Cage [Gotta love that INTENSE BLUE]

Reversed sun Visors and Upper Left connectors of Cage

Cage Grab Handles. Please notice the 97-02 Windshield WeatherStrips

Relocated Speaker Pods and Mounted CB

Very Beefy bars and 6 Grade 8 bolts per Rollbar attachment point!!!!
I liked how this one re-used the stock side bars as I will never lower my windshield.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rockhard Roll Cage

AWESOME!!! Elff :D I have had my eye on that cage for some time but have not run into but just a few folks that installed it. Definitely on my list! Two questions - how much cleaning up to get it ready for paint, and does the crossbar across the dash interfere any way?
CONGRATS! Bill

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
I've got it too, did I say that is my Rubi on their website? (Mine was the prototype for the '03 design).

I like it and it is well built. I have since cut and put the roll bar padding back on it. It is a very strong cage. It is a little more money than some of the weld in cages, but if you are a do-it-yourselfer and don't have a welder, you can install it in a short time without burning a hole in something.

Lewis tells me that afew have been tested on multiple rollovers and the held up very well. Remember that they are designed for passenger survivability, not to protect the Jeep from damage.

·
Registered
843 Posts
How much ...........

I'll admit that other than cleaning off the dirt there was no cleanup required. The welds were all top quality and looking great. Took me an hour to clean and polish the dirt off and then another half to prime them, this evening the paint goes on, (Black of course) and Saturday I'll get some pictures. I have not gotten the 02 weather strip as I've been told a little cutting with a dremmel and I can keep the 03 piece. I'll see how steady my hands are but would bet the 02's are gonna be needed.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
The crossbar doesnt interfere with anything
You can still use the sun visors and the one across the top of the dash is lower enough to not obscure your vision.

The parts that attach to the firewall will interfere with the 03 plastic and after looking at mine, I think you will have to do a whole lot of cutting.
I decided to not worry about it and just get the older versions.

I was used to a 95 YJ interior, so the rubicon interior is still downright plush to me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Consider me a fan of this cage - I did a lot of research on bolt-in cages and decided the CNC formed collars that Rockhard4x4 uses are the ticket. When you install them you will see what I mean - no way is that joint moving.

Stewart

·
Registered
706 Posts
drifter dave said:
That looks like a BEEFY cage..

I just don't know about bolt together cages. I think that for the most part a quality fabbed cage would run about the same cost and be a hell of a lot stronger. I'm saving my dough for a real weld in system. I have a shop locally and I'm sure most areas have good fabricators as well - it's just a matter of asking around and checking out the shop's work.
I have the Rockhard, love it. I ask you, do you plan to keep your Jeep or will you trade in a few years??? If you plan to trade, why would you give away your weld in cage??? I'll take bolt in so when/if I trade, my cage stays with me. If you can buy a welded together cage that can be removed without leaving scars, I'd like to hear about it. :)

I can remove my Rockhard, put the pads back on and you'll never know it was there. I also have complete faith in the strength of the bolt together in Rockhard.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have this cage, and like it a lot. Only fitment issue I had was with the dash bar and the Kilby switch center I am installing, and I fixed that with a little work with a heat gun. I don't have the angle bars yet, but they are high on my list of next goodies to acquire

HDCarl

1 - 20 of 59 Posts