Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03’ Ruby and it am getting more and more rust. I took the factory rocker guards off today to tackle some rust and a few of the nutserts are rusting in the hole badly and spin freely. What is the best fix for this? I was thinking of drilling the old ones out and grinding away the rust and using POR or something on those spots. I would then still new holes and install new nutserts. Thoughts and help please.

·
1,442 Posts
I removed a couple of spinning nutserts with a cold chisel and a handheld sledge. It collapsed and I pulled it out with pliers. I suggest getting them out of there and then get eyes on the rust. Do you actually see decay? My part of the country doesn’t see the frame rust issues. I’m not familiar with the pros and cons of POR.

·
Administrator
10,695 Posts
I used POR on my previous new bare steel bumpers and I don't think it's any better than a good primer, I am a big fan of Ospho - I've used that for years to treat rust. I think you have about the only practical solution, drill them out and stop the rust and make new holes. My Rockmen rock sliders have the optional rubber membrane between the slider and Jeep rockers, hopefully that's keeping water out.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. I got both side off and two side nutserts are spinning and 3 bottom ones. Rust around the holes and two have swelled up with rust. I will grind out the rust and treat it and then install the panels with new holes and nutserts. I was planning on buying a nutserts tool anyhow for other things.
I used POR on my previous new bare steel bumpers and I don't think it's any better than a good primer, I am a big fan of Ospho - I've used that for years to treat rust. I think you have about the only practical solution, drill them out and stop the rust and make new holes. My Rockmen rock sliders have the optional rubber membrane between the slider and Jeep rockers, hopefully that's keeping water out.
My factory sliders had rubber as well. There was mud packed between the rubber and the body and rust around the nutsert holes

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don't have to grind out rust when using Ospho. Knock off any loose rust, paint the stuff on, and it chemically converts the rust to a black surface.
Some of the holes are pretty bad, so I was going to grind off the loose stuff for my sanity.

Thanks for the info.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,969 Posts
You may want to look into my painting steel posts in the FAQ section. For metal that is not seen ot touched (back of rocker guards, inside frames... a good wax will easily outperform any paint. The product I use is Daubert X121. It will easily outperform any paint in anti corrosion testing. I know I invent paint for a living. I do not work for Daubert or have any financial interest in this. I worked there in 2002- 2004 and fell in love with the product. I can show you pictures if where I drilled my fenders in 2005 and sprayed that product. That is 15 years 9 of them in Michigan.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I removed them and cleaned all of the rust off with grinding wheel and wire brush. I cleaned the rubber backing as well. I replaced the 5 body and 5 tub nutserts with larger 5/16-18 bolt size nutserts after cleaning and spraying the areas with rust stop primer. I installed the nutserts with a bit of black silicone to seal them up. I have now sprayed the rocker guards with 2 coats of rust stop rust oleum 2 gloss black coats and will install them this weekend.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You may want to look into my painting steel posts in the FAQ section. For metal that is not seen ot touched (back of rocker guards, inside frames... a good wax will easily outperform any paint. The product I use is Daubert X121. It will easily outperform any paint in anti corrosion testing. I know I invent paint for a living. I do not work for Daubert or have any financial interest in this. I worked there in 2002- 2004 and fell in love with the product. I can show you pictures if where I drilled my fenders in 2005 and sprayed that product. That is 15 years 9 of them in Michigan.
Thanks for the info. I will look into that tomorrow.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,969 Posts
Also I am a paint chemist, I have invented paint for the last 30+ years. PM me questions or You can pm me for my number if you want to talk.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also I am a paint chemist, I have invented paint for the last 30+ years. PM me questions or You can pm me for my number if you want to talk.
Thanks! I am just cleaning them up and hitting them with rustoleum and flood black for now. I need to replace the rusted tub/body mounts soon, so this is good for now.

·
Registered
2005 Rubicon LJ
30 Posts
Thanks! I am just cleaning them up and hitting them with rustoleum and flood black for now. I need to replace the rusted tub/body mounts soon, so this is good for now.
Good luck with the torque box replacement, not a fun job. I replaced the driverside last year. There are a ton of spot welds to drill out. and the replacements dont fit all that well.
Not a job I would want to do again. Now if you are removing the tub completely it might be a bit easier.
And....POR15 isnt all that great. Ive used it numerous times with mixed results.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good luck with the torque box replacement, not a fun job. I replaced the driverside last year. There are a ton of spot welds to drill out. and the replacements dont fit all that well.
Not a job I would want to do again. Now if you are removing the tub completely it might be a bit easier.
And....POR15 isnt all that great. Ive used it numerous times with mixed results.
I have been reading and watching videos on several rust killers or so they claim! Thanks for the info on how hard they are to do. My plan is to make sure I have plenty of time to get them done. They figment is a concern as I see watching videos.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No pictures of the damage underneath but they came out well. Drilled the holes in the guards and frame bigger and used 5/16 body bolts from Lowe’s for the install. Only had to drill 1 new hole in right front due to rusted metal.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,695 Posts
.....And....POR15 isnt all that great. Ive used it numerous times with mixed results.
I've had the very same experience with POR15 - mixed results.

No pictures of the damage underneath but they came out well. Drilled the holes in the guards and frame bigger and used 5/16 body bolts from Lowe’s for the install. Only had to drill 1 new hole in right front due to rusted metal.
Looks great!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts