Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
GREAT Videos!
I'll be ordering my gas tank skid as soon as my tax return shows up!

:D

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Neat video. Good to know they can take that much weight!

Couple questions/comments:

1) the biggest problem I have had with my diff is the bottom edge of the cover getting scraped and the bolt heads getting buggered up. I realize the Riddler cover has recessed bolt holes, but it appears that they taper from the middle to the outside edge - which is right where mine gets scraped up going over rocks. Is there any protection around the entire bolt (kinda like AEV wheels have around the valve stem for example)?

2) On that same theme (scrape damage/wear to the bottom of the diff cover) - would love to see somebody extend the cover down with a lip turned back along the bottom of the diff, maybe even something that could have a piece of teflon bolted into it - to sacrifice instead of the bottom of the diff. There's really not any diff skid on the market that protects the bottom of the diff, the Nth one only protects up TO the edge of the mounting face and the Rock-It that wraps around the diff front to back, is easily bent - not really a great solution either.

maybe it's just all the loose granite rocks out here that pop up and bite the diff, combined with wheeling too long on 33's with guys that were running 35's! But I'd love to have a better way to protect that bottom edge, that didn't require welding a skid plate onto the diff itself.

Thanks again for taking the time to make the vid!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I wasn't impressed until i saw what did bust a hole in it. Wonder how a shock type stress would hold up? 20lb sledge and 2-3 hard bangs maybe?

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
I would like to see a side by side comparison with this -and all the others-with the stock cover.
I know of at least 4 front axles that were destroyed and repaired and although repaired, were never quite the same and eventually needed replaced.

I killed a front HP 44 and cracked the diff casting on the long side that the tube presses into in a sub 15 mph collision with a rock that stopped the rig cold. It hit on the lower corner of the diff.

I killed a Currie HP 9" housing and broke the axle tube in half through the weld where it attaches to the pumpkin. I repaired it and a few years later did it again.

I have been on the trail with 2 others in similar fashion.

What I learned from all that was if you need a diff cover that strong to protect your ring gear from damage, it really won't matter because the impact will ruin something else.

Pay attention to the HP 9 comments, I ruined that housing with no thicker than the equivalent of a 3/16" thick diff cover.
I ruined the HP 44 with a Barnett cover in place.

The others I've seen were not running heavy cast covers due to clearance issues. Just a Barnett or similar. That and I don't know of a single incident were the caving in of the stock cover ruined anything. The worst that will happen is you wear a hole in the cover from the ring gear spinning against it. But, anyone who has worked steel with a hammer knows that it is very hard to beat steel over against something and have it stay tight to it without heat. ;)

·
Registered
478 Posts
A dead stop at 15 MPH must have rattled the fillings!

I know the video was partially marketing but I like it anyway. I'm worried about peeling a diff cover on a rock or poking a hole in one and pretty much any aftermarket cover would prevent that I'm guessing.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
I know of at least 4 front axles that were destroyed and repaired and although repaired, were never quite the same and eventually needed replaced.

I killed a front HP 44 and cracked the diff casting on the long side that the tube presses into in a sub 15 mph collision with a rock that stopped the rig cold. It hit on the lower corner of the diff.

I killed a Currie HP 9" housing and broke the axle tube in half through the weld where it attaches to the pumpkin. I repaired it and a few years later did it again.

I have been on the trail with 2 others in similar fashion.

What I learned from all that was if you need a diff cover that strong to protect your ring gear from damage, it really won't matter because the impact will ruin something else.

Pay attention to the HP 9 comments, I ruined that housing with no thicker than the equivalent of a 3/16" thick diff cover.
I ruined the HP 44 with a Barnett cover in place.

The others I've seen were not running heavy cast covers due to clearance issues. Just a Barnett or similar. That and I don't know of a single incident were the caving in of the stock cover ruined anything. The worst that will happen is you wear a hole in the cover from the ring gear spinning against it. But, anyone who has worked steel with a hammer knows that it is very hard to beat steel over against something and have it stay tight to it without heat. ;)

I have always figured these things were as benificisl as a snorkel :wink2:

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
I have an ARB cover in the front (used to have one in the rear but no need now due to the high pinion Dana 60) and I see just two advantages of the ARB (can't speak to the others) - it has a dipstick which is really really handy if you have rotated the rear axle. Number two benefit is if you do hit the ARB cover, it is unlikely to break the RTV or gasket seal. I used to have problems with my OEM covers weeping fluid after even a minor bump.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
I have an ARB cover in the front (used to have one in the rear but no need now due to the high pinion Dana 60) and I see just two advantages of the ARB (can't speak to the others) - it has a dipstick which is really really handy if you have rotated the rear axle. Number two benefit is if you do hit the ARB cover, it is unlikely to break the RTV or gasket seal. I used to have problems with my OEM covers weeping fluid after even a minor bump.

Cant remember the name for the life of me but I used that reusable gasket for both front and rear. No leaks, no seeps.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts