Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2006 Rubicon LJ auto tranny. No more reverse lights. I have checked the fuse, blown replaced it and it blew immediately again, removed backup bulbs in tail light housing new fuse blew again, unplugged both tail lights from harness in rear wheel well installed new fuse blew immediately again. Currently out of ideas and 10 amp fuses. I would imagine there is a bare wire that has shorted but don't know the route and location of the wires. I also run LED bulbs and have replaced the flasher. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
10,466 Posts
Get a copy of the FSM and find a handy place to bypass the reverse light wiring. It's not worth the time to chase the short down.

·
3,326 Posts
The good news is that a dead short is much easier to trace than an intermittent problem. Is there trailer wiring on the jeep? If so, I'd have a hard look at it first.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Running a new wire might be the way to go but would I not have to go through some switch in my auto tranny? Now the trailer wire is not something I considered because I didn't think there was a relationship with the reverse lights but I will investigate it. Thanks all.

·
Administrator
10,466 Posts
Running a new wire might be the way to go but would I not have to go through some switch in my auto tranny? ...
You need to identify the wire somewhere in the chassis and cut it and then look for a short or an open. If shorted then add a new wire there back to the reverse lights.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Running a new wire might be the way to go but would I not have to go through some switch in my auto tranny? Now the trailer wire is not something I considered because I didn't think there was a relationship with the reverse lights but I will investigate it. Thanks all.
The image was just a portion of the diagram that I attached before I found a new source for the FSM.
The FSM in the link will show the connectors, locations, and pinouts.
You just need to break the troubleshooting down into sections to locate the fault.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If the fuse blows immediately upon switching the ignition on, before you even shift to reverse, then the problem is contained within the schematic attached. All wiring going to the back up lamps downstream of the transmission range sensor will be isolated by the TRS when it's in anything other than reverse.

A short to ground will show up as continuity to ground when checking the empty fuse 7 slot's output terminal. You can narrow down which part of the circuit is shorted by breaking it into sections at C301 and at C102/C104. The TRS can be checked by disconnecting the harness from the sensor and seeing if you have continuity to ground at pin/terminal 1 with the transmission in park.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mouse Post #3, I wish I would have tried your suggestion first, unplugged the trailer light plug and wala so far reverse lights work, just don't know why................

1 - 9 of 9 Posts