Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just went thru another set of "after market" transmission mounts on my 06 Ruby TJ with the Nth Tummy Tuck. These had only about 300 miles on them and one Level 8-9 trail ride and I really beat on them this weekend.

When Nth took a "vacation" I was unable to get new mounts so I purchased the set from McMasters & Carr (high temp part number 6292K28) about a two years ago, maybe more. These mounts seemed to last well with 33 inch tires. When I went to the 35 inch tires I destroyed the first set after only a couple of trail rides. Since McMasters is close by my office I purchased another set, figuring after 2 years the originals were shot! One thing about these mounts; they are real good in supporting a load (500 pounds compression), but I do not think they have the tensile strength to continuously resist the upward movement from the torque of the engine, evident by my picture. So if you have a Nth Tummy Tuck, IMHO you should get the original Nth mounts. I just installed a set of the Nth tonight, I am getting good at it, took me less then an hour!

E-mail I got from AEV:

Sorry to hear about the 'issues' you've been having with your aftermarket isolators. We (AEV) have not changed the parts since we started selling Tummy Tuckers and as far as I know Nth Degree used the same parts from ...day one. That said I'm not aware of any isolators that have come apart. They will wear and need to be replaced eventually, but they've got an interlocking fail safe built in, so it is very difficult to actually come apart.

We do have isolators available, they run $15.00 and the part number is Nth92019AA.

Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Al, what were your symptoms to make you decide that this was the issue? I am running the same thing rebranded by AEV. I have talked on the phone with Jim, who was Nth's owner and now employed with AEV about install issues.

·
Registered
756 Posts
f9k9 said:
Al, what were your symptoms to make you decide that this was the issue? I am running the same thing rebranded by AEV. I have talked on the phone with Jim, who was Nth's owner and now employed with AEV about install issues.
Jim left Aev like 4 months ago and moved to Colorado working for a tuner manufacture.

Jason

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Based on AEV e-mail their mounts have, what I would assume, a steel "lock" that would prevent the mounts from separating. The McMasters have no such anti-separation protection. They just tare apart, in this case into little pieces. Here is the first set I installed, after my strenuous "Big Dogs" ride:

You can see how the top pulled thru the rubber.

I have a set of old Nth/AEV mounts I plan to cut apart to see what kind of embedded protection they have. Another option is to do what us old drag races did, chained down the engines to keep from ripping motor mounts apart! A limiting strap placed on either side of the transfer case would work, but way too much work to install.

I noticed the engine vibrations in the floor and seat changed immediately after the mounts broke, so I crawled under the Jeep, pushed up on the tail shaft and was able to move the end of the case around. At first I thought I broke a motor mount. You must be one with the Jeep to notice little changes like this :D

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
" At first I thought I broke a motor mount. You must be one with the Jeep to notice little changes like this "
Just installed new Nth mounts on mine. One trip to Moab and one of them let go. Felt it in the drivers seat first. Guess I must have installed it incorrectly

:?

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have installed the OEM mount in place of the Nth mount. You need to modify the side stiffeners on the OEM mount to make it fit, and of course drill the necessary four holes in the TT. The OEM mounts moves the tranny up so it hits the floor, if I remember correctly I had to lower the TT about 1 to 1.5 inches to make it all work. To protect the OEM mount bolts that stick thru the TT I would weld a protection plate the same thickness as the protruding bolts and nuts to the TT drill out the four holes slightly bigger then the nut foot print. I did not do this, but I did install the OEM mount. The OEM mount also has the exhaust pipe mount, which lowers the exhaust pipe a little away from the body.

The OEM mount is no prize either. Someone, I think on here replaced the anti separation bar that goes thru the OEM mount with something a lot larger, reducing the flex of the mount. When my Ruby was new the shifter would bounce around like made with the OEM mount, once smacking my knuckle hard. Hurt like hell!

Another option for anti-separation is to weld a short piece of cable to two washers, placing the washers one above and below the Nth rubber mount.

Any other ideas.

I was thinking of making the Nth mount much wider and installing two additional Nth rubber mounts further out board, similar to the older three rubber mount on the older Jeeps. I do not know if there sufficient room to do that.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Oh, great! Like I don't already have enough issues to contend with. I'm already chasing noises, flashing lights, chimes, and MIL codes. :rotflmao:

I dare someone to post a non heep "honey do" list on my freakin' mechanical beer cooling unit. :agrue:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts