Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help. Been a member of this forum since 2006. I bought a new Rubicon in 2004. I have 120K miles on it. I want to replace my OEM headlights....however, I'm looking for "plug n play"....NO NEW HARNESS OR MODIFICATIONS. I am a little confused with all the comments in the jeep world. Ive heard that the OEM housings are terrible compared with replacement ones. Also some comment about the Sylvania Silverlights; the Hella E-Codes, and multiple other headlight including HID lights. I want plug and play, and Im not looking to spend $500 in LED lights. Ive read where some folks put different blubs for low / high beams. I just want a better headlight the OEM, and without modifications. I need to do this immediately because one of my low beams is out, and I'm running on high beams. Your input is highly appreciated.

Jc

·
1,437 Posts
I hear you. i thought I was going to die driving back from Elephant Hill Trail in Moab. I finally replaced mine and have no need for more headlight effect. Mine are Rampage conversions. Conversion meaning, you replace the stock throw away lights and substitute their housing and bulb insert. They are a no brainer plug and play. I only bought the basic bulb and I suppose I might investigate a different bulb when they die, but I don't really need anything else. Don't get caught up in the hyper focus of people's preferences.

I suggest you try my route and take it from there. i have older eyes and I've been totally satisfied.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
You can use any of the H4 replaceable bulb headlights with 60/55 watt bulbs, the same electrical load as stock sealed beam headlights.

The best Halogen replaceable bulb headlights are the E-code H4 headlights from the brands Cibie, Bosch, Marchal, and Hella. Expect to pay between $60 and $120 for a pair. They are slightly more expensive as they are made in Europe (the "E" stands for Europe).

Lower performance lights are available as DOT approved H4 lights from any vender. Compared to the E-codes, the DOT-approved lights have a less precise low beam cutoff and less range. (They are still superior to stock Jeep headlights.)

Then there are really cheap and poor performing H4 lights in both E-Code and DOT versions that are made in various Asian countries. I suggest avoiding those.

Any HID conversions or LED lights that are less than $500/pair are dangerous and illegal - you have doubtless seen the like on the road, those annoying and dazzling bluish or even violet colored headlights.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I've been running the Silverlights for a while and like them. I don't do all that much night driving and even less night time off-roading but they work for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So are the OEM headlights on the 04 TJ sealed beams? Also how do the Sliverlight compare with the e-code headlight replacements by companies like Hells? Ive also read post online where individuals change the bulbs on this lamps. So I guess from reading on the forum post that I must keep the bulb watts at 55/60 for low/high beams if I don't want to change the wiring harness. Is this correct? Thanks to all the contributers in this forum. It is much appreciated.

Nc

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
The stock headlights on Jeep TJs are halogen sealed beams. That is a halogen capsule inside a blow-molded glass reflector/lens. The halogen light color is whiter and about 15% brighter than conventional incandescent sealed beams. But the replaceable bulb H4 Halogen headlights have more precise stamped parabolic metal reflectors, and more accurately shaped Fresnell lenses on the front glass.

If the H4 headlights you get have 9003/HB2 compliance, then they are precisely manufactured so that you can replace the bulb from inside the engine compartment without having to check/adjust the aim.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Mountain Dew said:
Are the Silverlights sealed beams, or replaceble H4 halogen headlights ?

Silverlights are sealed beam, but IMHO are a bit better than stocks. I Googled "Sylvania Silverlight" but couldn't find anything. Only Silverstar.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to say Thank You to all the Forum Members.....I did my search online after all of your advice (especially to Gary). I ended up getting a great deal on Amazon. Purchased the following:

1. PIAA 15224 H4 Style Xtreme White 12V 60/55=110/100-Watt Bulb - Twin Pack

2. HELLA 002395031 Vision Plus 165mm H4 High/Low Beam Conversion Headlamp

Now that I have my driving lights setup taken care of, I was wondering what blub any of you would recommend for replacing the OEM blubs on the front fog lamps ?

Thanks

Jc

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would also consider a wiring harness, there is typically a 2V drop at the headlamp plug. I went with Ciibie housings, decent H4 bulbs and harness and there is a huge difference.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,969 Posts
If you do not want a new harness you need to keep the same wattage as than stock. However H4 or LED bulbs are much more efficient than sealed beams, so you get more light for the same wattage. If I remember correctly the stock bulbs are 45/55 watts so you want something similar. I have used PIAA Fatboys or Nokya H4 bulbs in housings of similar wattage in my 04 for years now and the difference is staggering. Under $100 for bulbs and housings. Just do not get the high wattage (80 or 100 watts) bulbs and use them with the stock wiring.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I'm running the IPF e-code housing and IPF fatboy bulbs from Northridge. Ridiculously bright. Best mod I've done. They do require some careful realigning. I still don't quite have mine dialed in to prevent getting flashed all the time.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,969 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
I replaced my OEM with the KC you show. It was a second step to the eventual LED that I now have. They are better than OEM but not nearly as good as HID or LED. The little "KC" emblem that glows after you turn them off is cute. :)

I have Truck Lite LED's in the first generation, probably have had them for 2-3 years. My comment on them is that the low beams suck but the high beams are great.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I replaced the stock H3 bulbs in the stock foglights with 100w H3 bulbs. The stock H3 housings used metal reflectors and glass lenses on my 2003 TJ, along with metal bulb sockets, so the extra heat produced by the 100w bulbs was not an issue. Note that I HAVE heard that if you dunk the hot foglightts in a river, the glass may crack. I know I have used mine in the rain several times and the lenses did not crack.

I did install another relay and I used the stock harness to pull the relay since the new bulbs were not quite 3X the power of the stock bulbs. I noticed when aiming them that the stock foglight mounts had a second hole and that there was a tab that fit into this hole (in the original bumper). I ground these tabs off and aimed the lights slightly outwards with no beam pattern overlap in the middle. So now I have a major upgrade in foglight brightness, a wider beam pattern, and no visible difference from stock appearance (until I replaced the front bumper and had to fabricate new mounts for the foglights).

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have had my Cibie housings with Fatboy bulbs now for 6 years now. Still love them. I can run high power bulbs without blinding others on the road and yet hit the high beams to light it up. There are probably some good LED lights out there now that will work well without blinding others but I don't feel the need to change. One of the best mods I have done.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
I have had IPF H4 housings and IPF 'Fatboy' bulbs for 11 years. Quite frankly I am surprised the Fatboy bulbs have not burned out since they burned quite bright, but I will say the light output has dramatically decreased over the last couple of years.

Are the Fatboy bulbs growing weak or has corrosion in the multifunction switch reduced output to the headlights? I do not know. I am contemplating retrofitting real HID projectors and the goodies into these old housings for my light needs for the next 11 years... but a good H4 bulb works so well. Perhaps I'll simply add a new headlight harness and high wattage H4 bulbs to my existing H4 housing.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts