Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a set of half doors yesterday. You can see them here http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1061.

The hinges on the doors need to be adjusted. The doors are off a '97, so you know everything is going to be real tight. I'm concerned about stripping the heads of the torx screws when I loosen them. The doors will be repainted, so I don't particularly care about preserving the finish on the hinges or screws.

I'm considering heating up the hardware with a small torch before I try to remove the screws. Anyone have any thoughts?

Jerry

·
Registered
188 Posts
Not pos on the TJ doors, but the YJ half doors, (they are very similar) You can take the inside panel off and see the back side of the torx screws, then just spray them with PB, and poss a little heat. Being its the backside where the threads are, you end up getting a better spot instead of just messing with the head of the bolt. Hope this helps?

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Jerry,
ship them to me..
for heat.. seems a dry climate is what those screws need.
:D

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NomadJeep said:
Not pos on the TJ doors, but the YJ half doors, (they are very similar) You can take the inside panel off and see the back side of the torx screws, then just spray them with PB, and poss a little heat. Being its the backside where the threads are, you end up getting a better spot instead of just messing with the head of the bolt. Hope this helps?
First Prize goes to NomadJeep. I followed his suggestions, and the screws loosened up relatively easily.

4x4mac said:
...ship them to me..
Second Prize goes to mac for trying to weasel a set of half doors....

Jerry

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
JerryC said:
NomadJeep said:
First Prize goes to NomadJeep. I followed his suggestions, and the screws loosened up relatively easily.

4x4mac said:
...ship them to me..
Second Prize goes to mac for trying to weasel a set of half doors....

Jerry
You bringing those to Paragon..... :wink: I am sure qualify for a good third... :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LILRDJP said:
You bringing those to Paragon..... :wink:
Sean:

I should be, unless the body shop wants a bazillion dollars to paint them. I'm tired of trying to squeeze out through that little window opening in the full doors while trying to find the right line.

Jerry

·
Registered
188 Posts
Glad it worked for you,

Thanks
Damon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts