Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best tool for removing the doors? I read somewhere that a wrench will always chip the paint on the hinge bolts and it eventually will look like $hit but there are tools that will make the process less destructive. What do you guys suggest (ie. socket wrench, box end wrench, open wrench, some other specific tool)?

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Well I don't think you are going to get around the chipped pain. I say suck it up and wrench them off. :wink:

justin

·
Registered
340 Posts
There is a special purpose tool you can get for this that does not chip the paint. Seems that I saw it online for about $10 US...

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'll find the link and post it....

·
Registered
340 Posts
:D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You don't need the tool. I just took mine off a couple of weeks ago without a nick.

I wrapped the nut with masking tape and used a good Cresent wrench tightened down as hard as possible on the flats and gave it a short, firm turn. None of them were on very tight -- just firmly snugged, so you don't need to use the wrench more than 1/8 turn.

Pulling the door is more tricky. They are unexpectedly heavy (full doors) and they don't just lift out - kinda sticky. You have to work them back and forth while lifting and you really don't want to drag the hinge pins up the side of the jeep when they get free... I greased them a bit when I threw the doors back on.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Getting the doors off is a PITA........but with some graphite spray they are much easier to work with............As for the bolts I was able to take mine off with an ordinary box wrench and did not get a scratch on the bolt......That being said it wouldn't matter much as I never put the bolts back on.....I don't know how it is in the US or where everyone lives but I am not really concerned about someone stealing my doors and I like to take my doors off anytime of the year........Even winter runs here in Canada with the hard top on............. :)

·
Registered
454 Posts
I took the nuts off when I bought my last Jeep and never put them back on until I stole it. I have never been worried about people stealing my doors either. I think, here in Canada, I would only worry about getting 1/2 doors stolen because hardly anyone buys a Jeep with 1/2 doors here.

·
Registered
173 Posts
bought the wrench with some other stuff as shipping was a rape :shock: but the tool works very slick didnt chip and goes in the glove box as its small worth the $10 as I dont have to do anything but put it on and turn but after the newness wears off I may grind the threads off like my last jeep looked better to me than threads hanging out :idea: also on the X I had a couple of beers and barley turned and they twisted off anyway
Vulcan said:
There is a special purpose tool you can get for this that does not chip the paint. Seems that I saw it online for about $10 US...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you mean after you remove the nuts you can save them and put them back on at a later time? :wink:

try this. instead of using a 13mm wrench, use a 6 sided 1/2" socket on a 1/4" drive with a wobble extention. 1/2" is 1/100th of an inch smaller than 13mm and with the 6 sided socket it will be a tight fit but because of the tight fit it will also pull against the flats on the nut making paint chipping highly unlikely. by using the 1/4" drive and the wobble extension youre able to get it away from your rocker so that you wont scratch the paint there either.

all that said, i dont even know where my door nuts are anymore and ive only had my rubi for about 6 weeks. put on a set of these http://7slotgrille.com/reviews/performa ... index.html and never worry about your nuts again. 8)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wrap your nuts in........

Duct tape. Heavy duty gray duct tape. Then wrench them off slowly. No scratches!!!!!!! 8) 8)

·
Registered
340 Posts
7SlotGrille

I like those soft doors....Thanks for the tip!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts