Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my parents house and property. My dad retired and shut down his business for good and decided to travel in their RV. He had an old shop that they would service the semi's in but was basically a roof held up by 2 mobile homes. I had to brace the roof then tear down the mobile homes. Then wrapped it in metal. The original door was 12x12 but I didn't have the money for that size. I ended up going 8x10 so I could also do a walk in door. I've never had a garage and didn't think that through. Should have went 10x10. I'm now hanging the shop lights. I'm starting with two eight foot fixtures then expanding to two more by the end of the year. Exterior I need to trim out the doors and want to build an awning off the front. I have enough knowledge at the moment to be a good assistant and pass tools and this is the first time I've branched out to do the work myself. Now I have a secure space that I can buy and stock with tools to work on my Jeep. I'm sure when it's done I'll have more Jeep friends wanting to come over and utilize this utopia. Thanks for looking. More to come.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
That's a lot of work, but you are going to enjoy the space.

·
Administrator
10,689 Posts
Welcome Jimmy! I grabbed all of my father-in-law's tools after he passed and have fond memories whenever I use them. Your picture(s) didn't show up for some reason.

Okay, now I can view the images. Wow, what a project.

·
Administrator
15,105 Posts
Good Work fix`n the shop...

please put in your State and town so we know where we can use the new shop

>:)

all kidding aside...it`s nice to know where ROF members live in case someone needs help
Thanks
mac

·
Registered
478 Posts
Don't be afraid of inexperience, you obviously weren't afraid of ripping into that shop and making it a great place to work. I have always lived by the motto that if someone else can do it so can I.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks like a great project. As stated earlier, inexpensive is good. I finished my garage on the inside with old pallet wood and old barn siding. Both I found on local craigslist ads. The pallet were free and the tin was super cheap and once installed looks awesome. You can also find inexpensive or free materials at auctions or estate sales....especially at the end because they just want it gone.

Good luck and keep it fun.

·
Registered
962 Posts
You probably have this in consideration, excuse the story. This is just what comes to mind whenever I think about building.

I built my garage and made it extra long for my workshop. Over my lifetime I have had two friends lose their shops/garages to fires. I also accidentally started a fuel fire in the garage when I was young while fooling with my first car. Luckily I figured out how to use the fire extinguisher and got it out without burning down the place. Scared the "H" out of me

Those experiences have made me safety minded. Just a reminder, line your shop, including the ceiling, with fireproof gypsum board, plan to store all fuel and flammables in a shed away from the shop and have fire extinguishers place in easy to see locations.

Edit: I have remembered two more shop fires over the years, one lost a race track Corvette and another lost a 40 ford with a 427 L88. Both lost the entire shop and parts of their house. Excuse again.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Ineed on the lining the walls. I physically could not do my ceiling but the 12 foot walls are covered with gypsum for the fire resistance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ynotcycle, I bought a home with an attached 26' x 41'-14' garage several years ago. It had 2"x6" stud walls. I insulated walls (6") & ceiling (12"). Next I covered the walls w/pallet wood. Sure helps to keep out the cold...

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,967 Posts
Any updates Jimmy?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts