Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
An overland group was climbing a steep loose dirt road up to a high point on a run last week. The second Jeep began loosing traction and not able to continue the climb. The Jeep line stopped. One driver left his JKU running and left his vehicle to walk up and help. His wife was in the Jeep and she reached over to shut the engine off. For whatever reason, the Jeep roll back as if in neutral and slammed into the next Jeep in the line about 3 Jeep lengths below.

Luckily the driver saw the Jeep coming and kept his foot tight on the brakes.

The JKU crushed the back door, destroyed his spare tire mount, sustained body damage around the license plate and fuel door and hinge area, also the bumper will need to be replaced.

The Jeep that was hit was an LJ that has an extremely heavy bumper that looks Ok except paint. The LED lights were smashed to bits though.

No one was injured and the Jeep was still drivable. If the Jeep had rolled past the LJ it would have been a much greater danger as the terrain was very steep and the crash area would have been trees about a hundred yards down.

As expected the incident was an opportunity for the trip leaders to discuss safety. Conclusion that all of us talked about is to always make sure you are in park and apply the parking break when leaving the Jeep!

·
Registered
539 Posts
An overland group was climbing a steep loose dirt road up to a high point on a run last week. The second Jeep began loosing traction and not able to continue the climb. The Jeep line stopped. One driver left his JKU running and left his vehicle to walk up and help. His wife was in the Jeep and she reached over to shut the engine off. For whatever reason, the Jeep roll back as if in neutral and slammed into the next Jeep in the line about 3 Jeep lengths below.

Luckily the driver saw the Jeep coming and kept his foot tight on the brakes.

The JKU crushed the back door, destroyed his spare tire mount, sustained body damage around the license plate and fuel door and hinge area, also the bumper will need to be replaced.

The Jeep that was hit was an LJ that has an extremely heavy bumper that looks Ok except paint. The LED lights were smashed to bits though.

No one was injured and the Jeep was still drivable. If the Jeep had rolled past the LJ it would have been a much greater danger as the terrain was very steep and the crash area would have been trees about a hundred yards down.

As expected the incident was an opportunity for the trip leaders to discuss safety. Conclusion that all of us talked about is to always make sure you are in park and apply the parking break when leaving the Jeep!
Message received: Don't wheel with others. LOL
Glad no one was hurt, that could have definitely been much worse.

·
Administrator
10,778 Posts
Thanks for that post about safety. I had a somewhat similar incident a few years ago, a guy had his wife move his LJ and she lightly ran into my LJ, this is on level ground.

What I see over and over again (usually with new wheelers) is they follow way too close at an obstacle, the guy in front has no room to backup to try a different line.

When I lead a trail, I always have a safety meeting at the trailhead, even with the experienced folks a reminder doesn't hurt.

·
3,434 Posts
What I see over and over again (usually with new wheelers) is they follow way too close at an obstacle, the guy in front has no room to backup to try a different line.
I've seen it many times and it is very irritating. I usually try to be nice and ask that they do not stay so close, but most are not receptive to the request. Almost seems like the dum-dums on the road who tail gate. I had a trail tail-gater on Fordyce once. I decided if he couldn't see the trail that I would intentionally take the hardest lines and drive over all of the big rocks. It didn't take long when I got a radio call that he had broken down...an axle shaft had broken on one of the big rocks he tried to follow me over.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Did they ever determine what caused the JKU to roll backwards? I would assume the wife accidentally knocked it into neutral...

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Did they ever determine what caused the JKU to roll backwards? I would assume the wife accidentally knocked it into neutral...
The driver and wife involved in the roll back Jeep didn't come out and let us know. The driver didn't want to blame her and took full responsibility.

Note, since the accident my wife has jumped on me for leaving the Jeep with the engine running and the parking brake not set. I think of myself as experience but I have also been caught being lax about the parking brake and turning the engine off!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I was on the Deer Valley Trail in Northern CA a few years ago and came upon a similar deal. The difference was a Cherokee had rolled back into a TJ but a you women got caught in between the two vehicles. My buddy I was traveling with had 20 years as a Ski Patrol and had his first Aid kit. It was determine this gal had internal damage. One of the guys that had happened to come along had a Sat. Phone. He had to get into a clearing with another guys GPS unit to get lat and lon coordinates. Once he had these he was able to call for help and give them the info. About a hour later a helicopter showed with paramedics. They loader her and carried her back and took to to the hospital. A few minutes later a CHP showed up on a Quad that he had took from a nearby campsite. He said that anytime there is a vehicle accident with injuries they are required to make a report. Every since seeing this I never leave my jeep running when I am not in it. Now it off, in gear and the PB set, since I have a manual it is not that hard moving around in the jeep to knock in out of gear, so the PB is always Set.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts

This is one of my number one complaints on the trails. There's no reason for it, we're not in a hurry, we all have radios, just wait. Even if it's a really long hill climb - just wait at the bottom and we'll wait at the top. BONUS - we'll get out and take pictures. It's win.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts