Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
being never satisfied with my jeep, i decided to try my 5th suspension combo (stock, OME, OME + spacers, 4.5" RESF, and now 4.5" RELA). the kit comes with only SIX control arms, the brackets/skid plate, rear stainless steel brake lines, and rubber bushings. i though the kit came with all 8 control arms, it doesnt. you replace the joints in the front UCA's with the rubber and re-use them with the front LA's.

****so if you were one of the people who inquired about buying my RESF control arms, i only have SIX, not eight as mentioned. the price will be adjusted accordingly and i will be getting back with you shortly (probably monday).

i really need to finish my garage walls...oops, i mean 'side view'


closer side view


upper front meets lower front


bracketry


my impressions: the LA's smooth out the bumps in the road a lot by having a lower control arm angle. it also makes it much easier to get all of the alignment angles in spec as well as adjusting wheel base. this in turn helped reduce bumpsteer and rear wheel hop considerably (both were problems i was having). all in all i have only a few miles on it but so far i love it! i havent had a new muffler put on yet, the place i want to do it cant get me in until tuesday so right now it soudns like i am driving a nascar.

feel free to PM me with any questions!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
15,116 Posts
looks great Mike....
the Long Arm ride is sweet.

the skid row engine skid you had will fit
just need to shorten the right side of it and weld it back
together....
most fun ive had in yrs....

finished skid

test fit

final fit


mac :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome, thanks for the heads up on the skid.

1) so up front you only have the one motor mount strut for support?

2) how well does the SR skid match up to the RE skid. does it tilt up or down or are they perfectly flat? got a side pic at skid level?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
15,116 Posts
Mike Holmes said:
awesome, thanks for the heads up on the skid.

1) so up front you only have the one motor mount strut for support?

2) how well does the SR skid match up to the RE skid. does it tilt up or down or are they perfectly flat? got a side pic at skid level?
i have 2 mounts..bought an extra but i could have made my own
its only angle iron
it mounts very flat...grips the RE skid well


its only 1/4'' lower....
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
15,116 Posts
Mike Holmes said:
4x4mac said:
i have 2 mounts..bought an extra but i could have made my own
its only angle iron
from skid row i assume? with the strut, bracket and insert that goes into the motor mount?
yes....he charged 50 bucks....for 3 bucks worth of metal n nuts
:wink:
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Looks really nice. Someday I'll do a long arm, unless someone wants to give it to me for free now. :lol:

Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
4x4MAC

On that Skid Row plate, you just:
- shortened up the passenger side of the plate?
- where did you mount the second angle iron support?
- Any problems when flexed with contact of the plate and CA's?

I am looking to install the RELA 4.5" in spring, I have a skid row plate and want to keep it. B/C after shelling out the $ for the lift I don't think I could afford a new plate lol... Thanks for your info
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
15,116 Posts
rubicon789 said:
4x4MAC

On that Skid Row plate, you just:
- shortened up the passenger side of the plate?
- where did you mount the second angle iron support?
- Any problems when flexed with contact of the plate and CA's?

I am looking to install the RELA 4.5" in spring, I have a skid row plate and want to keep it. B/C after shelling out the $ for the lift I don't think I could afford a new plate lol... Thanks for your info
i cut 2 1/4'' off the existing plate and re-welded it right back on over the part i cut it off ...so its almost 1/2'' thick on that modified end.

no issues hitting
on the front motor mount i bought the bracket from skid row (50.00)
drilled the front appox same as stock hole on front of the skid row plate.

flexed.....is super nothing hits.
i did this for my buddy Stu 3yrs ago....he still has no problems on his
skid row modified plate.
:wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
Thanks for the info. 4x4mac, I havn't looked but is there another place to mount that 2nd brace. I would assume there is something similar on the otherside of the engine to mount it. If you have pictures let see them... I am interested in doing that mod. too


Thanks Jeff
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
15,116 Posts
rubicon789 said:
Thanks for the info. 4x4mac, I havn't looked but is there another place to mount that 2nd brace. I would assume there is something similar on the otherside of the engine to mount it. If you have pictures let see them... I am interested in doing that mod. too


Thanks Jeff
Jeff,
both sides installed in the same type of nut holder on the motor mount.
will take a few pics....to show
:wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,195 Posts
Mike Holmes said:
being never satisfied with my jeep, i decided to try my 5th suspension combo (stock, OME, OME + spacers, 4.5" RESF, and now 4.5" RELA). the kit comes with only SIX control arms, the brackets/skid plate, rear stainless steel brake lines, and rubber bushings. i though the kit came with all 8 control arms, it doesnt. you replace the joints in the front UCA's with the rubber and re-use them with the front LA's.

****so if you were one of the people who inquired about buying my RESF control arms, i only have SIX, not eight as mentioned. the price will be adjusted accordingly and i will be getting back with you shortly (probably monday).

i really need to finish my garage walls...oops, i mean 'side view'


closer side view


upper front meets lower front


bracketry


my impressions: the LA's smooth out the bumps in the road a lot by having a lower control arm angle. it also makes it much easier to get all of the alignment angles in spec as well as adjusting wheel base. this in turn helped reduce bumpsteer and rear wheel hop considerably (both were problems i was having). all in all i have only a few miles on it but so far i love it! i havent had a new muffler put on yet, the place i want to do it cant get me in until tuesday so right now it soudns like i am driving a nascar.

feel free to PM me with any questions!
ohhh....you tease me with these pictures......I will not upgrade to long arm....I will not upgrade to long arm....ahh!!!!

LOL
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top