Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE instructions recommended to take measurements of the stock set up...as I did. Front measurement from RE plate to front bracket was 36.25" RE's starting point recommendation was 37.5" My RE arm came from the factory completely threaded down at 37.5 (it ain't gonna get any shorter without modification)"

My plan was to set the front arms a bit shorter than stock due to the reports of the track bar hitting the diff cover in some cases. Obviously, I can't even get it to the stock measurement (.75" too long).

1. Should I grind things down to get it where it needs to be and

2. Is this why some RELA users are reporting diff contact?

3. Is the Rubicon's front axle set further back in the vehicle than other TJ's?

Just fishing for opinions...

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Ned.......
i had the same problem. i set mine fully threaded and then adjusted out
to make the pinion angle right.did not care where the axle ended up
as long as its centered and not hitting the diff.
the LA is designed for 5.5'' springs or more.
so far mines been fine no more issue`s due to i installed
the diff track bar.

mac :wink:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mac,
I did take your advice and I was gonna order the Currie arm. But then they came back and said a 2 week wait at least. I think I've been patient with this whole lift thing and how long it has taken....but the patience is running out...IT NEEDS TO BE DONE! (okay, I feel better...venting is good)

Anyway, I started in on retrying things to get the arm that I already paid for to work....and the arms are too long according to my calculations.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Ned said:
RE instructions recommended to take measurements of the stock set up...as I did. Front measurement from RE plate to front bracket was 36.25" RE's starting point recommendation was 37.5" My RE arm came from the factory completely threaded down at 37.5 (it ain't gonna get any shorter without modification)"

My plan was to set the front arms a bit shorter than stock due to the reports of the track bar hitting the diff cover in some cases. Obviously, I can't even get it to the stock measurement (.75" too long).

1. Should I grind things down to get it where it needs to be and

2. Is this why some RELA users are reporting diff contact?

3. Is the Rubicon's front axle set further back in the vehicle than other TJ's?

Just fishing for opinions...
Ned:

Remember I don't have an RE LA kit, but for what it's worth:

1. No. Don't grind anything.

2. Maybe, that I don't know.

3. No. Much as some don't like to admit it, a Rubi is still a TJ.

Have you installed your air springs yet, or are you working with the slinkies? And if you're using the steel springs, what length are they alledged to be?

Jerry

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jerry,
The springs are off and I'll be installing the bags. I'm taking measurements with everything on stands. 4 stands for the frame and 2 stands for each axle with bottle jacks to keep and adjust the angles. I'm taking the measurements in exactly the position as set by the stock arms.

Why wouldn't you grind about 1/2 inch off the threaded portion of the arm to allow 1/2" more compression of the arm (close to my stock length).

On point 3, I'm just wondering if due to the larger diff the stock arms are a bit shorter to make space for all the steering components. If anyone has non rub stock arms, it would be interesting if they measure up the same.

By the way Jerry....I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I see it all starting to come together! WoooHooo! :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
FWIW I wound up adjusting my front RE LA's as short as they would go (4.5" springs). At full stuff on the drivers side the track bar would contact the diff cover. I cured it by extending the bump stops a bit. I only lost an inch or so of articulation and had no further problems.

Brad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts