Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody tried the round tube reciever hitch made by hidden hitches?I looked on their website and it shows that you can keep the stock rear towhook.I had the square tube hitch on my '01 TJ and I thought it very nice(at least I never dragged it),but you can't keep the towhook with that one.Or does anyone have another brand that they like?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mitch, Instead of trying to keep the tow hook take a look at the warn reciever hitch bracket, If you have a class3 hitch just get the hitch bracket and get a D ring. :D only pain is that you have an extra reciever taking up about 8" of room.. Just a thought for ya.

Mo

G

·
0 Posts
I have the bumpers from Durango 4x4 (http://www.durango4x4.com). These bumpers are rated at 10,000 pounds and are fabricated from 1/4" steel. The rear comes standard with a mount point for their heavy duty spare tire carrier.

I selected them because I want to mount my winch on a platform that fits into a 2" receiver. I had them add a receiver to the front bumper and tow tabs to the rear. This will allow use of the winch at either end.

I was able to retain the stock hooks front and rear. I think I have a spoare rear hook that I removed from my previous Jeep when I added a receiver hitch to it that I could add to the right side.
Dan

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I am with Dan...

If you are looking at putting money into a reciever I would spend alittle more and get a bumper with a built in reciever. This will allow you to get good corner protection for the body as well as getting a bumper that will allow for expansion to a tire carrier is a good investment. I know it is going to be more $$ but at least it is $$ that you will always keep on you JP.

JMO

Sean

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
My buddy has a hidden hitch....it hits a lot of rocks and gets lots of dirt build up when he goes 4 wheeling..I agree with the other guys..spend the extra money and get a good bumper/hitch combo.
PeteM

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx for the replies. My concern is the attachment of bumpers/recievers.The 3500# reciever hitches bolt to the side of the frame and the rear crossmember. That seems to me to be pretty strong.All the bumpers I have seen bolt on with the stock bolts on the rearcrossmember only. I realise I am only towing a 1500# Scamp trailer but I am leary of using a bumper w/reciever that most manufactors state is for a bicycle or luggage rack.Does anyone make a bumper w/reciever that attaches better or at least differently?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Mitch... I will send you a pic of my new rear bumper which I bought from a buddy who had been towing a tent trailer all over the country with no problems.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well, I think the rounded one looks nice. I have not been a fan of the square onse at all. I look at it like this, it sells for $98. It is very strong, does not require any drilling and looks pretty nice. Dont get me wrong, I think bumpers are the deff the way to go, but if your like me and don't plan on buying a new bumper anytime soon, than this would be a great filler that will allow you to tow. Also, after you do finish, I am sure you could sell it for $50 or 100 bucks on Ebay...

G

·
0 Posts
class 3 / 2" reciever hitch at uhual/drawtite $130. No drilling / 4 bolts.
I wrap a tow strap around the whole hitch bar. Much more stout than using one tow hook. When I get a bumper with tire carrier and receiver I will sell the hitch. No big deal for $130 until I can save up for what I want to improve clearance. In the mean time I can use my trailer and ATV.

G

·
0 Posts
The only trouble with the Draw-Tite (or any other under bumper type) is that it will adversely affect your departure angle...

Dan

·
Registered
843 Posts
Departure angle??

Come on guys, he wants to tow, not climb. I use the Hidden Hitch (round Tube) and it is great. Bolts on easy and comes off just as easy. In a technical sense it doesn't change the departure angle because it is still higher than some of the body parts. It's a great and inexpensive addition for the not too serious RUBICON. For the record I also have the front hitch from them, it's square tube and mounts above the bumper and frame so entry angle is certainly not affected. If you did happen to hit or be concerned with the read angle for 29 bucks you can get a glide plate that goes into the receiver and assure you won't get hung up on the edges. Go for it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Re: Departure angle??

PJ said:
Come on guys, he wants to tow, not climb. I use the Hidden Hitch (round Tube) and it is great. Bolts on easy and comes off just as easy. In a technical sense it doesn't change the departure angle because it is still higher than some of the body parts. It's a great and inexpensive addition for the not too serious RUBICON. For the record I also have the front hitch from them, it's square tube and mounts above the bumper and frame so entry angle is certainly not affected. If you did happen to hit or be concerned with the read angle for 29 bucks you can get a glide plate that goes into the receiver and assure you won't get hung up on the edges. Go for it.
PJ... we are not telling him not to get a hitch.. It was just suggested that he may want to look at a bumper upgrade and save a little money in the long run. There is nothing wrong with a trailer hitch, I had one on my 2K and would have one now if it was not for the fact that I need a swing away as my tires are too big for the gate.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have run into the same problem. I wanted to go to a 2" receiver bumper but could not find one that would mount as securely as a true receiver hitch. One alternative is to have support brackets that connect the bumper to the frame the same way a receiver hitch mounts. It requires a bit of fabrication and additional expense, but you end up with the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
corlissb said:
I have run into the same problem. I wanted to go to a 2" receiver bumper but could not find one that would mount as securely as a true receiver hitch. One alternative is to have support brackets that connect the bumper to the frame the same way a receiver hitch mounts. It requires a bit of fabrication and additional expense, but you end up with the best of both worlds.

You can always take off the stock bumper and take an angle grinder the boxed end of the frame rail cutting a hole that will allow you to get inside the frame. Then you tac weld in a big nut top and bottom of the frame and then you can use grade 8 bolts to mount you bumper by building 90deg mounting tabs that are welded to the back of the bumper.. This is very very strong.

G

·
0 Posts
LILRDJP said:
You can always take off the stock bumper and take an angle grinder the boxed end of the frame rail cutting a hole that will allow you to get inside the frame. Then you tac weld in a big nut top and bottom of the frame and then you can use grade 8 bolts to mount you bumper by building 90deg mounting tabs that are welded to the back of the bumper.. This is very very strong.
Isn't there some kind of tool that places blind nuts so that you wouldn't have to grind off the end of the frame?

G

·
0 Posts
Re Blind Nuts...

I have used nuts welded to a thin steel strap. You insert the nut and strapo trough a nearby slot, thread the bolt and tighten. The stock rear tow hook is installed this way, and the Draw-Tite receiver hitch comes with nuts of this type.

Dan

G

·
0 Posts
Mitch

The class 3 from uhaul bolts into the underside of the frame not the sides like on some truck hitches. Alot of the rock bumpers w/reievers have tabs underneath that don't show in the pictures that go into the bottom frame hole where the tow hook is, so they are pretty strong.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Latemarch said:
Isn't there some kind of tool that places blind nuts so that you wouldn't have to grind off the end of the frame?
Yes there are. You can purchase them, and the appropriate inserts from McMacster-Carr. But by the time you spend the money for the tool and insert for the size you would want, you could pay for half a Durango 4x4 rear bumper with the hitch built in.

Jerry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts