Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
10,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 20 year-old floor jack has a leaky cylinder and I would like to rebuild it, has anybody done this? It's my best floor jack and I would hate to put it out to pasture :crying:.

·
Registered
962 Posts
My 20 year-old floor jack has a leaky cylinder and I would like to rebuild it, has anybody done this? It's my best floor jack and I would hate to put it out to pasture :crying:.

Many years ago I when I was a new recruit at Nellis Air base training to be a crew chief we were required to do temporary duty on the flight line in the maintenance shops. I did repair big hydraulic jacks that lifted fighter jets. The floor jack video above is essential what we did, change 'O' rings. The video is slow and hard to watch, author needs a tripod, but does cover what to do. Only hassle will be hunting down proper size 'O' rings.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Finding some one that stocks the o-rings will be the hardest part, but Amazon may have them. Is it a brand name jack?

·
3,389 Posts
I would try to rebuild it. Last time I looked seals were difficult to find, but is probably worth it. I don't think there are anything but Chinese cylinders made in the world anymore.

I have an old Craftsman jack that was built before the Chinese invasion to jacks. You bet I'll do everything possible to keep it alive!

·
Administrator
10,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys and thanks for the video Bob. I've been overwhelmed the last 12 hours changing web host providers for my website and another website I host and support. It's a huge hassle but necessary. Anyway....

The jack isn't a well known brand, don't even remember. Probably out of the same Chinese factory that makes them under many brands.

It isn't leaking fluid, it just leaks down (if that makes sense.) I might as well tear it down and see what I can do for it since it really isn't that useful at this point. I just had the second lift cylinder rebuilt on my 1998 Kubota loader, the other one started gushing fluid about three years ago. Fortunately seals were available for those cylinders.

Roger on McMaster Carr. An amazing place.

·
Registered
962 Posts
You may be in luck with an easy fix. I think a jack that will not hold it's position and goes down has a bad release valve 'O' ring. At least try that first. Watch out there is probably a ball bearing that will also come out when you turn out the valve and that needs to go in or the jack goes no where.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Use plenty of petrolatum. We did that on the gear on the heavies. Extend the cylinder then slather it with petrolatum. O-rings aren't hard to find. You just need to any decent rubber company or even good year rubber. McMasters would likely have them also and they ship fast. Just remember the word slather when ya go back together with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts