Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have a locker issue with my 2005 LJ Rubicon. When I engage the lockers the pumps activate normally for a split second and then continuously run in a pulsating manner every 1-2 seconds. They both never shut off. Only the rear locker is locking at this point.

Ive attached a link to a video of the pumps running.
New video by Seth Doyle

I pulled the lines off and covered the output nimples with my thumb and they continue to run and not pressurize. All indicators point to an internal leak inside the pump or an "off switch" inside the pump not working.

I opened up both pumps and found sand/rust particles around the o rings of the outport. I cleaned them up and assembled everything. It got noticably better with only brief pulsating every 5 or so seconds but still not pressurizing.

I'm wondering if the pitting around the metal portion of the output port that the o ring goes on is still causing a small leak. If so any ideas? Has anyone had their pumps act in this manner?

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,755 Posts
Hi Seth and welcome. I've never torn that particular air pump down so I don't have any words of wisdom. The lockers only need about 5 psi so I would think the pump is fairly tolerant of pitting around an O ring.

I had a 150 psi Viair that I used for tire inflation and it slowly lost its ability to get even to 100 psi after a year of air down/air up on trails. Tore it down and was going to rebuild it with new reeds and whatever else I bought for it. That pump never worked right again - I think it was worse off after my 'rebuild.' Lost all faith in Viair compressors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John, thanks for the welcoming and reply. Yeah I'm just not sure either. But by just cleaning the dirt particles off the o rings it improved but it just won't completely pressurize and shut off. Just trying to do all I can before buying new pumps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts