Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever seen a failure of the stock rear tow hook? Somebody told me that on a Jeep Jamboree (forget which one) they couldn't use those tow hooks because of a fear of failures?

·
Registered
25 Posts
What??

He meant the tow hook on the back of your rig.
I'm wondering about this as well.
Anybody ever see a stock tow hook fail? And if you did, are you sure that it was attached with grade 8 bolts?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ive never seen one fail before but Ive been told they are not rated as well as the fronts. I think they are only rated for 4.5k or 5k. This is just what ive heard

·
Premium Member
5,725 Posts
I just used mine 2 weeks ago to unstuck a pretty heavy Dodge Dakota (lifted, 32" Toyo MTs, V8 ) that was totally high centered. It was stuck to the point that I had to get slack in the line and take a run at it and really jolt it, and it took about 7 or 8 times of doing that to break it loose. No problem with the tow hook.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The rear tow hooks do not break, they just straighten out.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,969 Posts
I have seen them break, just when you hit them on a rock not from towing.

·
Registered
334 Posts
wsm04rubi said:
I just used mine 2 weeks ago to unstuck a pretty heavy Dodge Dakota (lifted, 32" Toyo MTs, V8 ) that was totally high centered. It was stuck to the point that I had to get slack in the line and take a run at it and really jolt it, and it took about 7 or 8 times of doing that to break it loose. No problem with the tow hook.
sounds like reiter hijinks ... :rotflmao:

·
Premium Member
5,725 Posts
SeaRubi said:
sounds like reiter hijinks ... :rotflmao:
Actually it was on my own property. My son was playing around with his Dak, and picked a line up a steep bank that required far more breakover angle than he had. If I'd been there at the time, I could have told him he had no chance of making it, but I think he learned from the experience :laugh: I wasn't home, so his truck had to sit there till the next day.

I haven't been out to Reiter at all this year, I'd like to get back out there and run Isabel again, that is a really fun trail...

·
Registered
153 Posts
paul075 said:
One of my front tow hooks pulled out of the frame. If you overload them they will break.

I've seen front tow hooks pulled from the frame too, happens pretty easily during snatches. Shackles are a better option if the construction is done right, but you can always tack weld the tow hook bolts for a little more strength, not to mention make it harder for someone to steal your winch in the dark of night.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I use two of the stock rear tow hooks on the frame rails, and a 3rd rear recovery point is the Class 2 receiver. Jeep rated the rear hooks for 7500lbs, by the way, slightly higher than the 7000lb front hooks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts