Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read articles that state that a lot of articulation in the rear can be a bad thing. On my Xterra, I removed the rear sway bar when I lifted it and found that it worked quite well, even back on the road. I've been reading the posts here concerning front disconnects and that will be one of the next mods. My question is what are most people doing for the rear? Leaving it stock? Removing when lifting? Or some sort of disconnect?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I like the pic...LOL and Welcome

I only undo my rear sway bar when I am doing RTI competions. Generally your shocks are going to be short enough that you will not have to worry about popping a spring. I would not suggest wheeling trail like that. If you are looking for some TK sliders for the rear.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
My Long Arm Kit came with new connects for the rear that are longer than the stock ones. It allows the rear tires to drop pretty good, but I definately have room for more.

·
Registered
326 Posts
When people say too much articulation is a bad thing they are usually meaning drooping the tire so far it is entirely below the frame of the vehicle. With a big lift and big flex your rig can become unstable. Near stock it's not an issue, so don't waste your money on fancy stuff, just remove the rear bar entirely. When you get into 4"+ lifts the extra stability of the rear bar is nice, and the big tires are heavy enough to twist the bar farther and not limit your flex.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I made rear anti-rock style links. They have heims on botht he fram and swaybar ends. Look identical to front anti-rock links. check out stu-offroad.com for details.

THey are nice caue they are adjustable in length, and allow lalot less binding, w/o all the drawbacks of having NO swaybar.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Mud Puppy said:
When people say too much articulation is a bad thing they are usually meaning drooping the tire so far it is entirely below the frame of the vehicle. With a big lift and big flex your rig can become unstable. Near stock it's not an issue, so don't waste your money on fancy stuff, just remove the rear bar entirely. When you get into 4"+ lifts the extra stability of the rear bar is nice, and the big tires are heavy enough to twist the bar farther and not limit your flex.
I can ramp an additional 110 with the rear disconnected. It is my shocks that limit me then so I would have to say that it makes a difference but will not really matter that much off-road seeing as you will rarely if ever need to articulate 1200 on the trail..

·
Registered
326 Posts
LILRDJP said:
[...
I can ramp an additional 110 with the rear disconnected. It is my shocks that limit me then so I would have to say that it makes a difference but will not really matter that much off-road seeing as you will rarely if ever need to articulate 1200 on the trail..
When on the trail the added force of the motion of your rig will often overcome the extra resistance of your sway bar, assuming your links are the right length. If your links are too short it will draw the bar down too far and then you are pulling on the ends instead of twisting the length of it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback. I like the anti-rock type link mod. I'll have to think about that when I'm ready to focus on the rear.

Chris

·
Registered
478 Posts
I entered my Rubicon in a Tough trail competion this past weekend, OMG best wheelin' ever. I removed my rear sway bar before the competion started and I couldn't belive what a difference it made. Best suspension mod ever for no money. I left the rear sway bar off and didn't notice a big difference on the highway home so I'm gonna leave it off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts