Rubicon Owners Forum banner

When Do you leave your rear sway bar disconnected?

• I dont disconnect my rear sway bar at all

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only When wheeling

• Mine is left disconnected at all times, but i this is only a trail vehicle

• Mine is disconnected at all times, and its a daily driver/trail vehicle

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone here runs their rear sway bar disconnected at all times? I friend of mine said you realy dont need it, but he dosnt drive his jeep as a daily driver. Thanks

·
Registered
478 Posts
I took my rear sway bar off a month ago and I've never looked back. my rear diff is super flexy now. Only one little thing that doesn't bother me but might bother you is the rear tires make music on my rear flares. I have 35's and 4" suspension and a 2" body lift and when I flex right out my rear tires grab my rear flares good. I go pretty easy so I haven't hurt my flares and soon I'm gonna put the warn 7" flares on and that'll solve the problem. I didn't notice much extra body roll on the road.

·
Registered
843 Posts
However...........

I do use TK-Sliders on the rear SB. They are like partial discos and work like a charm.

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Hey PJ, I've never seen these. Can you post a picture, price, and part number by any chance. I have been pretty happy with the rear flex, but I would like a tad more. Thanks,

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Ron have you researched these? If so, what do you think?

Thanks

Ken

G

·
0 Posts
Ken, I really haven't put a lot of thought into these TK Sliders. :lol: I originally had these on my list of need to have items. Then after taking a good look at them, I was a little concerned about the sleeving action of the Slider. Now I haven't seen these in action, so I can only speculate as to what could get in there and how loud they could become. The look similar to the RE front disco's with that pin, but I didn't base my decision to not get them on that. I wheel in lots of sand, clay and water, so getting stuff inside them is a good possibility. I've also kept an eye on my Jeep and watched the rear anti-sway bar when it is fully flexed up. The Jeep has no problem flexing that rear anti-sway bar, so I wasn't concerned with that. I then checked to see if I was twisting the bar to a position that the axle was actually hanging from the link vice the shock (longer link needed), or pressing the other one up vice bottoming out on the bump stop (shorter link needed), nope, so that wasn't an issue of needing a longer or shorter sway bar link. I then checked with one side at full compression if I had any extra extension on the other side, so I made a measurement and had a large buddy stand on the tire (scary if you are underneath him trying to measure. There was no change, so I was at full extension on the shock. To verify this, I measured the length of the shock and then disconnected the bottom mount and measured it again. So with that I left the shock disconnected and flexed it again, I did have extra travel, at the expense of stability. So with that info I couldn't see the need for a slider that would lengthen or extend the sway bar link. My rear suspension was limited by the shock length and by the bump stops, not by the sway bar links. The weight of the tire was plenty to pull the axle down to full flex with the springs. I have tried it on the trail with the links disconnected, I didn't like the feeling of the ride, so I reconnected them. I didn't notice any difference on the obstacles. other than a vague feel to the rear end. Those are my thoughts.

Ron

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Thanks and I appreciate your thoughts and insight. I looked at them on the site and had some of the same concerns about mud and sand, which is a lot of what I play in. I haven't measured my rear travel to the extent you have but I'm guessing it is probably similar to what you have seen. So, I guess I will have to hold off until I do what you did and can justify the expense. Thanks again.

Ken

·
Registered
843 Posts
TK sliders

I agree they may not be for everyone and my jeepin includes some sand, mud and mostly rocks but it's a good safety factor for those who like or want to disconnect the read sway bar. Each suspension is different and on Rons they serve no purpose on mine I found a difference and it was positive in both my mind and the seat of my pants. I don't believe mud to be an issue (checkout http://www.muddyjeep.com), Sand that may be another issue but I haven't expierenced any yet. For the price and if they do enable something in your riding I think they are a rather inexpensive upgrade or feature.

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Thanks PJ. I think I will check my droop and see where I'm at before I decide. It looks like they are spring loaded inside, if so, how are yours standing up to day to day use? Do you thing they will corrode quicky after seeing a bad winters worth of salt? Thanks,

ken

·
Registered
843 Posts
Well

They're plated just like my JKS discos and not spring loaded at all, they just free slide. As for the winters salt, I'll keep you posted because we sure use a lot of it here in Jersey. :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
and

As to how they hold up, I've had them on for three months so far and they hold up just fine. Bushings and all still look like new. I don't notice any noise from them but them I really do enjoy the sounds my JP makes and unless it sounds like a problem I's just music.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Been There Done That.

I don't disco the rears anymore, I used to run my '98 TJ rear disco'd all the time until I was climbing a real steep mogul type hill, rocks and silt, the rear axle would jump and skip rather than digging in. Another guy who had disco'd his rear found that his rear was doing the same thing. We both ended up hooking the sway bars back up, I never had it do that again. I did notice that I lost a little articulation when it is connected, but could live with it.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Remember your not as stable either with that thing disco'd in the rear. I would stick to the front only!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Why mess with a good thing? My Tj handles awesome on the street with nice flat cornering at speed. I have JKS discos on the front and I ramp 1234 on a 20 degree ramp. I haven't even considered ditching the rear sway bar.

G

·
0 Posts
Rear Sway Bar removal

Hi Guys

With Sway bar connected I would score 1070 on 20deg ramp, with rear sway bar removed & no other changes I ramped over 1180 with a lot more flex in rear.

I use this as a daily driver and there has been very littly difference in handling on street or Freeway.

Brian

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the replys guys/gals...looks like im gonna keep it on...not only for stability, but like somebody said...why mess up a good thing!!! Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts