Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Jeepless in PA
12,587 Posts
I went from this:
Tuffy underseat drawer and Mopar Instatrunk

and made this:

Since this was installed, I mounted boat cleats around the sides so I can strap a cooler on either door.

·
3,634 Posts
seal66 said:
Like the title says. Post up your pics. i am looking for some idea's. Dont wanna pay 600 plus for a dang tuffy rear cargo thing

Mines for sale for just $350, and looks new...just PM me.

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
I bought a 32" Rigid Tool Box used in the construction industry. The base skid is inset one half inch on each side making it 31" wide. The rear seat brackets are...with a little LOVE...are 31" apart. It fit perfect and the handles on the box work well to strap it down. Two master locks keep it locked. I think it's perfect and a heck of a lot cheaper and lighter than the Tuffy box. Here's couple of pics.

fits perfect in the bed, nestled between the rear seat brackets

area behind front seats

·
Premium Member
3,080 Posts
I used a truck bed box and some diamond plate. I still need to put some bed liner on it.

More usable room than my tuffy oversize drawer. It is "for sale" as well.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Oh, I definitely like this thread!

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
^^^^^
Same here. I've been thinking the same thing. I need some more secure setup in the back. I was thinking some hard plastic box. Pelican box style or a Home Depot special, but I haven't found the right size.

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts
I ran across something at Tractor supply a couple of weeks ago that piqued my interest.
I was thinking that one could be mounted on the trailer and the other in the back of the Jeep.
Since they are poly, they would be lightweight.
Only real drawback that I could find was that there are no latches on them. That would make it so that a lock had to be used to keep it closed. It might be a little inconvenient. I Imagine you would have to drill through them on the bottom to secure them.

[attachment=0:3u1iz6b3]boxes.jpg[/attachment:3u1iz6b3]

I'd rather have something flat though, that covered the whole floor.
Maybe 7-8" tall.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've got an 06 LJ and am in the process of getting the materials together to build a box for myself current dimensions I am thinking of going with is 13" to 16" tall 35 1/2" wide and 36" to 43" deep. Thinking I would have it as a drawer so I could get to everything easily and possibly like a half lid on the top to get to things in the back without having to open the gate and drawer. I want to eventually put a rack on top to store item (coolers, sleeping bags, tents, etc...). It will be strudy enough to keep a 37" tire as I am wanting to get my spare off my backside into the inside when I need it with me.
I took the back seat and brackets out. What I am wanting to do is use those current holes in the floor to bold the whole assembly down.
I am trying to makes it strong but not weigh a ton want to save the weight for the tools and gear. Once I have it build I will be using bedliner material over the entire piece for durabilty and quietness (if thats a word).

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,105 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
My first box. It now resides in a TJ. Still working on ideas for revision 2.0

·
Registered
17 Posts
I still need/use my rear seat, so whittled something to squeeze between the seat and the rear gate.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
This is the storage box I made for my LJ. Still have the full back seat. I wanted quick access to essential recovery items and things that get used frequently (deflators, bug spray, windex wipes, TP, etc). Heavy items go in the lower drawer and light stuff up above. I like the Tuffy's LJ box but if you can't open your tailgate, you're SOL.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
I am jealous of you "artsy craftsy" guys!

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
If things go well I will hopefull have an Aluminum box with a brushed aluminum top out about this time next year.

·
Premium Member
5,725 Posts
What I'm surprised nobody has ever produced is an aluminum tonneau cover with slots to slid it in around the roll cage, and rubber boots to seal up around the rear bars. I've thought about making my own, seems like it would be really easy. I'd just bolt it down using the existing hardtop bolt holes.

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts
On that aluminum tonneau, why not slide it UNDER the rear roll cage bars and bolt through it?
Trouble is, it would have to be reinforced in some way to keep it from bending when you set things on top of it.

I have been looking at different things to build one out of too. Eventually I'll come up with something.
One of the things I want to be sure of is that I want my seats to be able to fully recline. On long trips, it's nice to be able to pull off, kick back and take a short nap. When riding passenger, it's a lot more comfortable while checking your eyelids for cracks.

I also want metal, not wood. Aluminum would be perfect. I want to fit my sub-woofer and amp into it along with a drawer that pulls out for putting my stuff in/

I like the idea of an aluminum tonneau that would fit on top of the inner fender wells.
The idea is forming, but I have to focus on the design.. Prolly this winter when I am plagued by cabin fever.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts