Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like it could be a pain to remove the rear seat on the '03 Rubi. Not like on other Jeeps I have had. What's the hot tip on getting to those torx boltd? Looks like the bracket prevents it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
You dont have to use the torx bolts to get the reare seat out....all you have to do is use the activation lever.I took my seat out the day I bought my JP and its still in my closet.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
It's very easy to remove, however it seems heavier than past years.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Spring loaded, it's way easier than my YJ seat

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a prime example of an idiot that doesn't read his owners manual.
My bad. Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also removed my back seat, since I never have any passengers. I then decided to remove the mounting brackets from the floor, just to make it smoother for hauling stuff. I first tried to do it by hand, and I couldn't get any of the bolts to budge. Brought out the heavy artillery (impact wrench), and 6 of the 8 bolts came out, albeit rather slowly. The remaining 2 still wouldn't come out. I finally resorted to alternating tightening/loosening with the impact wrench. This back and forth torquing finally broke them free. What should have been a 5 minute job, ended up taking about half an hour. None of the bolts were rusted - just massively overtorqued.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Stealth-Rubi said:
I also removed my back seat, since I never have any passengers. I then decided to remove the mounting brackets from the floor, just to make it smoother for hauling stuff. I first tried to do it by hand, and I couldn't get any of the bolts to budge. Brought out the heavy artillery (impact wrench), and 6 of the 8 bolts came out, albeit rather slowly. The remaining 2 still wouldn't come out. I finally resorted to alternating tightening/loosening with the impact wrench. This back and forth torquing finally broke them free. What should have been a 5 minute job, ended up taking about half an hour. None of the bolts were rusted - just massively overtorqued.
Hey Stealth.......Give me a PM.. I see we share the same home town....

·
Registered
478 Posts
took my back seat out too, I can load more gear and only one passenger.
i like it better that way! :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
I replaced my rear seat with a Tuffy Security drawer.
The drawer is on 2 3" risers so I have 6" of storage underneath it.

Works out really well.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
elff said:

Works out really well.
Me too but I have a hell of a time getting my half doors to fit under there with only 1 X 3" riser?? Thanks for turning on the light for me that 2 X 3" idear sounds like a winner!

As for removing the original bolts :shock: I about broke my freakin arm. Didn't have the luxury of a impact so it took me about an hour of sweatin and cussin!

Love the box except it makes alot of noise, took and old Yakima basket and mounted it to the top on some rubber stoppers. Now I can secure stuff like coolers and my dogs so they aren't bouncing around. Bungee cords work well on Chihuahua's!! :twisted: Kidding!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
elff said:

Works out really well.
Do you have the modifed drawer for '03? Does it open forward? I want one, but was told it didn't fit yet and would only open abckwards which screws me a bit.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
I have the one for the 97-02
You are correct it doesnt fit the 03 jeeps.
That is why I originally got the 3" riser. The riser fits the seat bolt holes perfectly and I have the drawer opening out back

1 - 12 of 12 Posts