Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set ready to go on but can't get the plugs out. Any suggestions? How did you get yours out?

Mike

G

·
0 Posts
Very common you can use a die grinder or torch. I ended up torching them out.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Can I ask a quick question before you do this..............Why would you want to use cam bolts in the rear to adjust pinion angle. By doing this you are just going to make another area that is going to become loose over time that you really don't want to come loose.

I would suggest a set of upper adjustable control arms for adjusting pinion angles.....JMHO.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I only need 2 degrees to bring the pinion dead nuts on. Couldn't afford the adj. control arms right now but I agree that I should have gone that route anyway and still might. Next step will be a cv driveshaft which will need them anyway.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
scoutermike said:
Well, I only need 2 degrees to bring the pinion dead nuts on. Couldn't afford the adj. control arms right now but I agree that I should have gone that route anyway and still might. Next step will be a cv driveshaft which will need them anyway.

Mike
Mike:
You know you want those adjustable arms.
You know they're the right thing to do.
You know they're way cool.

Go buy 'em. :multi:

Jerry

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I agree with JerryC.....I strongly believe that you will have more problems with cam bolts in the back....Give it a try you can always weld them in place afterwards and move to UACA

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
scoutermike said:
I have a set ready to go on but can't get the plugs out. Any suggestions? How did you get yours out?

Mike
We used a screwdriver and a hammer to remove the drivers side. Came out in about 5 minutes.
Passenger side was a different story. Took an hour, and after beating on it with a 5lb sledge and a large punch, we ended up using a sabre saw to cut it out.

Pain in the butt.

Brian

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ALRIGHTALREADY!

I'll buy the arms.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
scoutermike said:
ALRIGHTALREADY!

I'll buy the arms.
Good man. Now buy the best ones. Get the JKS arms.

Jerry

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aw ****! :eek:nfire: Now I'm going to get it again. OK. Why the JKS? Why not RE or Teraflex? I DO want to know why you choose these.

Mike

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I would like to know more about the JKS arms just for fun...........

Me I would suggest the RE arms............Good quality and rebuildable.

JMO

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
The JKS arms use stock bushings on each end. No poly or heim joints. They have a finer pitch thread so you're adjustments can be dialed in closer. They flex good. And the quality is awesome.

Here's a link to an XJ install on dpgoffroad.com:
http://www.dpgoffroad.com/ProductReviews/JKSlcas.htm

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
But for more flex would you not want to have a heim joint? How about maintenance on them is that easy to change the bushings? I like to sounds of the adjustments that can be made to dial them in easier.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
LILRDJP said:
But for more flex would you not want to have a heim joint? How about maintenance on them is that easy to change the bushings? I like to sounds of the adjustments that can be made to dial them in easier.
I don't think there's any difference in flex potential between the JKSs and a heim jointed short arm. If there is any advantage to the heim joint, I would think it would be minor, and I would be willing to give up that last little bit of flex for riding on rubber bushings on a daily basis. The JKS bushings are stock Jeep bushings, and press in just like stock.

If you look closely, you'll notice the JKS arms don't have a locking feature. What they do have is a fine thread as opposed to an Acme thread (I think I read the JKS are 18 tpi while the ACME thread on RE arms is 5 tpi). When you set up a JKS, you unbolt one end, turn it to the desired length, and then you reinstall the bolt. This means you have to muscle the axle slightly, but it's a tradeoff between repeatedly trying to dial in an Acme thread and locking it where you want it, or moving the axle slightly and installing a bolt to secure the JKS.

As the axle articulates, the JKS arm rotates. This can be seen in some of the photos of the XJ install on Dirk's site. As the arm rotates, its length varies slightly due to rotation along its threads. The thread is fine enough so this change in length has no noticeable effect on axle position. Assuming 18 threads per inch, one rotation of a control arm end results in a change of .055 inch in horizontal length. Let's assume the control arm rotates +/-15 degrees while the axle is moving to full droop or full stuff. That would equate to 15/360 x 0.055 or +/-0.0023 inch of horizontal axle movement from its normal position. No problem.

BTW LILRDJP, are you coming to Paragon on the 26th? I'll be there. :multi:

Jerry

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
That is some cool info on the JKS... I have never looked at them before but I will take a closer look..

And HELL ya I will be in Paragon...........I have been working on the JP hard to get her ready.....See you there..........Where you staying?

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
LILRDJP said:
That is some cool info on the JKS... I have never looked at them before but I will take a closer look..

And HELL ya I will be in Paragon...........I have been working on the JP hard to get her ready.....See you there..........Where you staying?
Glad I could help. The JKSs are pricey, but I really think they're the best short arms out there.

I'm planning on being there Saturday the 26th. Friday is probably not going to happen due to work, or the chance that I'll still be prepping the Rubi. I'm trying to get my AiROCK suspension installed by that weekend, and if this rain doesn't stop soon, I'll be stuck running the easier trails. Must have more clearance....:mad: elff's Rubi is in the body shop after his altercation with that ricer, so he'll be my co-pilot.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do on Sunday. I might stay over and play for a while Sunday am. I've stayed at the Hampton Inn before. Expensive, but I'm a Hilton Honors member, so at least I get some more points out of the stay. I live on Long Island; if I leave Paragon on a Sunday evening it's an extra 45 minutes to an hour of crawling through traffic trying to get across the George Washington Bridge in NYC. I just love NY traffic. :snipersmile: It's why I bought an automatic.

Jerry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts