Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a pretty small small leak, but has started to drip now, so time to bring it into the dealer. I think this should still be covered under the warranty.

·
Registered
734 Posts
My buddy had his rear main seal go out a couple months ago on his 06 . . . he was a bit outside of the warranty period, but the dealership covered him under a good faith warranty and all he had to pay was a deductible as if he'd purchased an extended warranty, even though he hadn't purchased one. Hopefully the dealership will do something similar for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Look in your manual, under warranty. If you are the original owner, after the 36/36 you have 7 years or 70,000 miles. but you will pay a deductable of about $100.00. Highlight whats in the book as ammo when you go into the dealership. I have found that the use of synthitic oils are more likely to cause the rear seal to leak. They penatrate that good. Respectfully Jack

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I am the original owner so I expect this to be covered under the 7 year 70k mile warranty with the deductible. I assume that is also probably what happened with the 06 mentioned above.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SweetPee said:
Keep us posted. I need to do this too on my 04. What milage do you have? I got 47k on mine.
I only have around 12k on mine. Pertty much only use it for 4 wheelin.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I am not sure I buy that about synthetics I have had two cherokees that I purchased at 130K and drove over 50K miles each after switching to mobile 1- and never nad a problem with the rear mains on either rig.

·
Premium Member
3,769 Posts
I was about to change my RMS, but when I took off the pan, I noticed that my pan gasket was shot and not the RMS. It was leaking in the same area as the RMS. Once I changed the gasket out, no more leaks.

·
Jeepless in PA
12,585 Posts
first I would try to tighten those bolts since they have come loose on others rigs.

·
Premium Member
3,769 Posts
gregert12 said:
first I would try to tighten those bolts since they have come loose on others rigs.
But tighten to torque specs

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I brought it into the dealership last month, right before the 7 year warranty ran out. The dealer said it wasn't the rear main seal, but that the leak was at the oil filter that they replaced while doing the oil change and the oil was running to the back of the engine from there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
there is a TSB for the rear main seal. My 03 seal want out at 3000 miles, then 5k, 7k, they ended up putting a new crank and all new bearings in my 4.0l

1 - 14 of 14 Posts