Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
A quick question from a newbie on diff rebuilds. I am fine on tools and the process, just not clear whether or not I have to touch the pinion. Here is the situation.

I blew my rear locker internals and have a used factory replacement coming. I'll move my ring gear over from the bad carrier/locker, to the new/used one. My question is do I need to rebuild the pinion (reshim, etc.) or do I just need to get the shim kit for the carrier? I might do it anyway since its apart but was curious on whether or not it is mandatory for this kind of rebuild/replace job.
thanks in advance,
WW

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some additional info. I am using a front locker/carrier and putting it in my rear diff to get rid of the LSD. Just have open or locked.

·
Registered
715 Posts
If you are going that far you should pull the pinion and install new bearings. You are in there so might as well go all the way.
Pinion depth wont change if you are doing the carrier so you can just reuse the pinion shims. Differential carrier shims will need to be set up. Proper preload as the new carrier could be different width and backlash will need to be set with these shims also.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I agree, pull the pinion and install new bearings. Probably had some metal circulating with the oil through the bearings.
I found lots of pieces floating around in mine. Make sure you flush the entire housing thoroughly including the tubes. There are small depressions inside the housing where metal chunks will fall into and not come out by just draining it specifically up front by the pinion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Yes, I did that. I flushed it with brake clean and ran a magnet around trying to collect everything I could. Now trying to get a rebuild kit. Dana 2017097 kit is sold out everywhere. :mad:

·
Administrator
11,455 Posts
The supply chain is really hosed up across the board.

Reactions: Norminator

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
I got a TJ Rubi 44 master install kit from Randy's about three weeks ago. Yukon brand. Got it a few weeks ago, but ordered it a few weeks before that. Kind of interesting that it came with some Timken and some Koyo bearings. I'm fine with that, they are both good bearings. But made me wonder if having to mix and match to get a full kit was related to the shortages everything seems to be suffering.

I'm sitting on about 20,000 primers and well over a hundred pounds of powder <SEG>.

- DAA

·
Registered
193 Posts
I got a TJ Rubi 44 master install kit from Randy's about three weeks ago. Yukon brand. Got it a few weeks ago, but ordered it a few weeks before that. Kind of interesting that it came with some Timken and some Koyo bearings. I'm fine with that, they are both good bearings. But made me wonder if having to mix and match to get a full kit was related to the shortages everything seems to be suffering.

I'm sitting on about 20,000 primers and well over a hundred pounds of powder <SEG>.

- DAA
I believe Timken and Koyo are now under the same ownership. That may explain the mix of bearings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts