Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning all,
Looking to start a discussion on rear deck options.
Post your 'unique' solutions.

The thinking process is just starting...

Goals...
Spend less than $200
12" clearance under deck (current size of my tool box)
Strong enough to stand on
easy to remove so back seat can be used
Support dog kennel with tie downs to make it crash worth
Work with both soft and hard tops
Be useful to store 4x4 equipment and create useful cargo area for camping

How far this project has gone so far...
Rear seat removed
Dog Kennel purchased
Seat Belt Bracket removed
Found a local 'metal fabrication shop'
Some basic searches for 'factory' stuff -

Thanks,
Eek

·
Registered
282 Posts
I worked in a metal fabrication shop and made what I think you are talking about out of .125" 5086 aluminum.I covered it with indoor/outdoor carpet. I used nutserts in the tub to hold it in place and it was strong enough for my 2 labs to stand on when riding in back.If I was to have this made for my curent jeep I would expect to pay $100 or more.I was really thinking about buying the new extenda trunk from Besttop. It uses the OEM set mount hardware and looks easier to take in and out than the one I made. Quadratec sells the Besttop for $200

·
Registered
245 Posts
A great simple solution, though might not make your $200 cut off. is an extenda trunk. I got mine from the manufacture but I knoe bestop also has them. If interested pm me I'll get you the info. Great mod.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
I have an instatrunk and a tool box that I bought at walmart. The box fits like a glove, so tight and perfect it looks like it came straight from jeep. Lots of tools fit in there too. I didn't have an instatrunk on my first jeep and thought I wouldn't like it, but turns out I do.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I built a rack for the rear deck that mounts on the roll bar where the seat belt mounts. It is kind of a combination of the Kilby rack and my own creation. I don't care about the rear seat or seatbelts but you could modify my design to fit your purpose. I didn't spend any more than $200 but I welded it myself. My design criteria were:

-no higher than the rails of Jeep so the tonneau cover can still be used
-all tops are fully functional (soft top can be put down easily)
-hinged for easier access
-strong enough to stand on
-no rattling
-enough room for tool boxes underneath

The only criteria that I didn't quite acheive is the ability to stand on top. I used 3/4" square tube which I don't think is strong enough. I will use 1" tubing in the future. The blue box is about 14.5" tall and it just fits. 12" would be perfect to be able to remove while the soft top is folded down.

Here are some pictures:

I am actually thinking of selling this rack so I can rebuild it with 1" tubing so if anyone wants to buy it, its for sale.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Wow, great lookin' rack!! :lol: let me know how much ya want for it...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Ramtuff: I will sell you my rack for $200 CAN. That is because it is the prototype and there are some elements of its design that I am not 100% happy about. For example, some of the tubing was left uncapped because I was just trying to get it done, I wasn't really thinking about having it fully enclosed. My next rack will be built with mitered ends. Also, I really want to be able to stand on it. Don't ask me why, just because I wanna I guess.

If anyone else is interested in a copy of this rack, I am willing to build a few. I will probably be asking for $300 CAN for each rack. I could also build a version that will allow for the rear seat belts to be retained. Kind of a Kilby-ish version that is mounted by the holes for the insta-trunk. I am also thinking of building a version with a countersunk plywood deck so that items won't move around as much on top.

PM me if you are interested or have any ideas.

·
Registered
478 Posts
another idea might be to make the new one so that it is lockable, for when you park it downtown with the top off. :wink:

·
Registered
454 Posts
My thought was that I would either use a nut (or maybe a jam nut system) instead of the wing nuts. Most opportunity theives don't carry around a set of tools. I haven't put much thought into it but I haven't come up with anything that would be lockable (with a padlock) and perfectly quiet. Right now, this system is nice and quiet, even over bumpy washboard roads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts