Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to try wheeling with my rear sway bar disconnected to add more flex in the rear and hopefully keep my jeep more level when climbing over stuff. Will this help, or cause problems?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Elff...........It will help when off roading but to be honest I really don't see the need to disconnect the rear that often. On my 2K TJ I could ramp 1230 with the rear connected and 1280 with is disconnected. When you are off-roading how many times do you really need that much flex.

I have been on many 8+ (CND rating) to 5+ US rating and I have never been in a situation where I would like it disconnected. The rear sway bar is not the limiting really. I mean look at the size of it.......

Try disconnecting it and see if you like it and if it works for you. These are just my experiences and as the general rule for jeeps is " No two same set ups work the same"

·
Registered
326 Posts
The heavier your tires are the less effect it has. With stock tires the rear bar restricts droop a lot, and even when the tire droops fully the bar is reducing the amount of downward force on the tread.

With 33s the effect is much less, but still noticable.

With 35s and/or big lifts the bar will help stability.

G

·
0 Posts
Beware - you may lose a rear coil spring on the trail running like that. When the TJs first came out in mid '96 all the guys were pulling the rear anti-sway bar wondering just why in the hell Jeep was putting them back there.

I know several guys who dropped springs on TJs.

BTW - I ramp a perfect 1000 with OME springs, shocks, JKS 1" BL, JKS front Quicker-disco, 265s, and stock lower control arms...now what more could a fella ask for!

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
elff:

You may not like it. True, you'll get better ramp scores, but that's a static situation. By disconnecting both the front and rear anti-sway bars you will have zero roll resistance beyond what little your springs provide. I seem to recall a thread or two on JU where most folks concluded it was not a good idea.

But what do I know? I've never tried running anything without at least one sway bar in the front or rear.

Jerry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts